Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly I doubt Disney is all that concerned about this loss, given they have all the money in the world and the Indy franchise is effectively ended with this movie anyway. They're probably a lot more worried about Marvel and SW right now and the dip in interest they're starting to see from audiences, as those are ones they really need to keep going strong and bringing in money.
Yeah Bob Iger is too busy looking for loose change in his sofa cracks at this point.

Saw it again last night. My opinion of it hasn't changed. Dial is a good movie, it dragged in places for me, but deserves to be an Indy movie. My wife mentioned that this had very little humour, this is a good thing because it makes it stand out better and doesn't rely on gags and cheesy spectacles to get it over the line. The time travel aspect is a fun and engaging element. A man who is all about history is finally immersed in it, is drunk on it to the point of leaving the rest of his life 2000 years away, powerful stuff imo.
I love the original 3 in the order they were released, and this one will closely follow as an adventurer alienated in his own time, longing to be in another one where he truly belongs and would thrive

Last edited:
True. The movie was killed by the negative buzz generated by trolls and anti-woke people assuming that the movie wouold be a disaster. Which is not. Of course there's a genuine part of the fandom who was not interested in an old Indy flick. But even those people tend to express their opinion in a toxic way.
It's a know phenomenon. When you get overjoyed when things go bad for others, when you are excited to see things that crash and burn. It's called Schadenfreude in psicology.

So it couldn't possibly have been killed because it was an average movie? Most critics even thought it was an average movie; so are they trolls and toxic as well?

**** me I'm so sick of this attitude that if you don't like "X" you get labelled toxic fandom. Does everyone need to like everything? Can people not have differing opinions and like different things?

I didn't hear these trolls/toxic accusations when The Mandalorian first hit, because (mostly), everyone liked it.

If you say you don't like Mission Impossible, nobody cares or calls you toxic, because it's not on the "precious" list.

This whole **** slinging idiocy only seems to revolve around films/tv/media/etc that people want to champion.

At the end of the day, are you saying that nothing is dialed-in, by the numbers, or just plain bad?

The movie was a disappointment, but it does seem like a shame that it's doing so much worse than the absolutely horrid Indy 4 which somehow made $800 million worldwide. I can understand the reasons of course, but it's still a bummer to see.

Eh. I'm well past the point of caring about how much money bloated mega-corporations get to suck in.

The writers and actors striking is the best thing that's happened in years.

Maybe we can just start all over. New writers, new actors. People that just want to make good movies. People that don't demand $20 million per movie. People that actually have a passion for what they're doing.

So it couldn't possibly have been killed because it was an average movie? Most critics even thought it was an average movie; so are they trolls and toxic as well?

**** me I'm so sick of this attitude that if you don't like "X" you get labelled toxic fandom. Does everyone need to like everything? Can people not have differing opinions and like different things?

I didn't hear these trolls/toxic accusations when The Mandalorian first hit, because (mostly), everyone liked it.

If you say you don't like Mission Impossible, nobody cares or calls you toxic, because it's not on the "precious" list.

This whole **** slinging idiocy only seems to revolve around films/tv/media/etc that people want to champion.

At the end of the day, are you saying that nothing is dialed-in, by the numbers, or just plain bad?
Ah, the old turning the tables. No, dude. Most of the bad word of mouth around DoD originated before the movie was released, and it gets carried by people who haven't even seen the movie and claim they'll never see it. That's what toxic means, being in bad faith when campaigning against a movie.

Let this thread be an example. Most people have mildly positive to very positive feedback about the film.

I always advocate for faireness. See the movie in an effing theatre and THEN you are allowed to express your opinion on it.

Wanted this to fail if truth to be said
Case in point.

Ah, the old turning the tables. No, dude. Most of the bad word of mouth around DoD originated before the movie was released, and it gets carried by people who haven't even seen the movie and claim they'll never see it. That's what toxic means, being in bad faith when campaigning against a movie.

Let this thread be an example. Most people have mildly positive to very positive feedback about the film.

I always advocate for faireness. See the movie in an effing theatre and THEN you are allowed to express your opinion on it.

Case in point.

I saw it and didn't really care for it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either. Completely meh. I am toxic for feeling that way? I felt the same way about the new Mission Impossible, but don't hear people going off calling me toxic for having that opinion. But recent films I loved were Maverick and Dune. Does that make me toxic for liking them? There's a lot of people happy to say people that did like Maverick are right wing patriots. That's just madness. Irrational madness.

All this labelling and attacking people is ********. What's it prove, that you're on some higher plain, that you're more evolved or better than other people?

And most of the negative buzz came after the Cannes screening - that's when it went beyond the Youtube brigade and reached normies. So again - are you going to call the critics at Canne toxic?

You really want to know why he wanted it to fail without seeing it?

Actually, yeah? I wonder what the motivation is?

If I said I wanted things to fail (across the board), it would only be to cause change in the mindset of Hollywood. Give us new IP's again. Encourage a diverse range of films again instead of the same superhero and regurgitated IP's. If they lose enough money they might realize people are sick of the current trend as they did in the 50's with Westerns and the 80's with sci-fi.

I used to go to the movie once a week and saw everything; from comedies, to drama, to action, to "chick flicks," to horror - anything and everything. Where are the Shawshank Redemptions now? Or Beverley Hills Cop? Pretty Woman? Driving Miss Daisy? The English Patient? Wedding Crashers? Boyz in the Hood? Birdcage? An American Werewolf in London? I could name a thousand different films over the 70's, 80's and 90's of all different genres.

There was always something for different demographics and even if you didn't fit that demographic, usually the films were still good enough quality that you'd go and see it anyway. Sure there was a lot of turkeys as well, but there was a far greater range and (ironically) diversity than there is now.

Disney bought up the huge IP's and spammed the marketplace on TV and in the theatre. People always get tired of everything.

Star Wars used to be special, one film every 3 years, now it's a new show every few months.

Indy deserved to do better but in reality, it will find a new life at home and on streaming. Theatrical release windows are silly anyway, one week before a Pixar or Mission Impossible comes in to take over.

Not to mention the short window between theatrical and streaming. Flash is out on Monday, like a month later? I liked that film, amd will watch it again.

I saw it and didn't really care for it. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either. Completely meh. I am toxic for feeling that way? I felt the same way about the new Mission Impossible, but don't hear people going off calling me toxic for having that opinion. But recent films I loved were Maverick and Dune. Does that make me toxic for liking them? There's a lot of people happy to say people that did like Maverick are right wing patriots. That's just madness. Irrational madness.

All this labelling and attacking people is ********. What's it prove, that you're on some higher plain, that you're more evolved or better than other people?

And most of the negative buzz came after the Cannes screening - that's when it went beyond the Youtube brigade and reached normies. So again - are you going to call the critics at Canne toxic?
Absolutely not. You offered a reasoned opinion which I respect. It's the ones that want this movie to fail no matter how, without having seen it, that I am addressing.

Can’t wait till this streams so I can give it another watch. I want to like it, but it was rough the first time.
Off topic but, I was just rewatching Skyfall, and man I love that movie. I feel like Sam Mendes could’ve done a better job with Indy. Rewatching now, a lot of the scenes are just classic. I’m almost sure there was some inspiration there.

What I saw was a $400 Million Dollar Movie made for (primarily men) in their late forties, fifties and sixties. Brave (insert other words here) of Lucasfilm to green light this, given that was their demographic. Kids, anyone who's just a casual viewer, weren't going to be invested in seeing Indies last outing. And I really just think they wanted to get what was left of the team back together for one last Hurrah. That being Harrison, Kennedy and Marshall. In the location shots, they were all over the place together in the UK on set all the time last Summer.
Now the Film, I liked. It's my 4th Fave Jones Movie now. And may grow on me more with time.
The McGuffin worked, the plot, script and dialogue were good too. It was nice to see a Female Character in a Jones Movie who was fully fleshed out and three dimensional.
Although at times, Jones felt like a character in 'her movie'. All of the characters motivations worked for me too. This was Helena's 'Temple of Doom', she realizes now that there is more at stake than fortune and glory.

The resolution worked for me too. I'm happy that Jones and Marion made things work and that their shared pain can be resolved, they literally shared where it hurts with each other, that was a beautiful scene. I came away knowing I'd seen this man's story start start to finish. And I am happy with it.
I think some people just wanted it to Fail. People wanted KOTCS to Fail. Some people just want everything to Fail. I don't know where that Bitterness comes from.
And it's usually Keyboard warriors on social media driving a negative agenda. They're not film makers, or critics or journalists, they have no connection to the industry. No creative ability, just resentful and jealous and I despise Social media for giving these people a voice.
They're really just generating clicks and will do anything to achieve this. Why do Human Beings like to watch things fail?? I Like to see someone succeeed and applaud that, that's why I'm a fan or Indiana Jones in the first place. Hope is Good. Success and happiness that someone has earned is good. Hard work and creativity should be rewarded and valued.
I ignored all of the 'reviews' before going in and made my own mind up. Like I do with everything, there should be an embargo on spoilers for at least a week on new releases.
I'm re-watching it with some other friends for the 3rd time this afternoon.

For some reason, there's a cynicism in the air this Summer, especially against big tent-pole Blockbusters. I hope that's not going to be the trend going forward. But I just don't think you need a Huge budget to make a good film like this. I think that's why Spielberg and Lucas stepped away this time (plus the reaction to KOTCS) Raiders cost 20 million to make. They wanted to make a low budget action movie. An elevated version of the serials they loved as kids. But that was 40yrs ago.

Sometimes less is more.

Last edited:
Applebees is offering a free ticket to the movie if I go in and chow down. I was tempted but I will still not see this movie
until 2033. And if I die before then, I will ask Harrison Ford in heaven what he really thought of the movie. He won't be able
to lie to me up there.

Back