Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to get this on Tuesday. I really do want to see it again, especially the opening and even the NY stuff. And any moment Mads was in. He stole every scene. Even in the madness of the airplane. He's just so great.
I totally agree. Mads was awesome. And I'm hoping that the prologue de-aging CGI will be less noticeable on a smaller screen at home.

I would have a real hard time deciding what "look" I'd want for 1/6th Voller

I know it'll never happen, as this movie won't make it past next weekend boxoffice, but its fun imagining. Hasbro gave him his most bland look. I like the Toht outfit (obviously) or his panama hat sailing outfit best I think. That basic civilian outfit (from Morocco I think) is likely his signature look though as he wore it the most.

I'm kind of fighting a sudden urge for an 80-year-old man doll by Hot Toys. If they did make Voller, I'd be as ****** as Ford.

Sorry to detract a bit from the topic, but I just read Wor-Gar’s review and couldn’t believe you’re placing this movie neck and neck with TLC! Maybe my age when I saw TLC partially had to do with my rankings—I was probably ~8-9 when I first saw it the year or so before KOTCS, but I have always loved TLC more than anything else and actually guessed everyone would have liked it more than ROTLA until I joined this forum :lol :lol

I never loved TOD but still knew enough to place KOTCS at the very bottom. I didn’t have any plans to see DOD but now I’m really curious to watch it and also need to give TLC another go to still see if it holds what I perceived as such marvelous appeal. Glad to hear more folks are enjoying DOD more than we would have thought.

I would love to see a HT Mads figure. It's possible, though entirely destined for Howard's collection.

Check this stunt mask out for nightmare fuel!
20230703_224546.jpg

With the current box office results? Probably Tuesday, lol.
School holidays and my kids wanted to see Fast X. That film was released late May and we couldn’t find a screening before 8pm last week. One month. It’s the new normal. It will be streaming in a couple of weeks. Honestly, I think studios want this scenario. Between skyrocketing budgets, volume of content, these films can’t possibly make their money back unless it’s JC or Tom Cruise (fingers crossed for Dead Reckoning).

Wor-Gar's rankings are spot on!

1. Raiders

(Mile wide gap)
I think you are being generous

2. TOD

3. DOD

4. TLC

(Another mile wide gap)
I think you are being generous

Sorry to detract a bit from the topic, but I just read Wor-Gar’s review and couldn’t believe you’re placing this movie neck and neck with TLC! Maybe my age when I saw TLC partially had to do with my rankings—I was probably ~8-9 when I first saw it the year or so before KOTCS, but I have always loved TLC more than anything else

You cannot beat nostalgia for shaping your tastes. Mine were made long ago on a slew of different films but all from a distinct period that I will never shake. As is yours.

Last Crusade is huge among fans and a lot of people here put it in 2nd place after Raiders, so you're truly among friends here.

For me, Indy will always be just Raiders... that one film... all others are like little bonuses, some filled with better moments than others.

Wor-Gar's rankings are spot on!

1. Raiders

(Mile wide gap)

2. TOD

3. DOD

4. TLC

(Another mile wide gap)

5. KOTCS

I think you have it... although as I said I'm still juggling DoD and LC for that coveted 3rd spot.

Right now, because its new and without a 2nd viewing, it kind of hits #3... mostly for that opening 20 minutes and Mads as a great villain.

Mads is definitely in the Top 3 Indy villains for me. Beats Skull and Last Crusade handily... up there with Toht and Mola Ram.

For me, Indy will always be just Raiders... that one film... all others are like little bonuses, some filled with better moments than others.
Completely agree Wor-Gar, Raiders is still to this day a near-perfect adventure film. The action isn’t so far out of the realm of possibility, the supernatural is never so overdone and the humour is there, but not as silly like the ‘others’ in the serial. I really feel it has to do with Spielberg aiming to make it a Maltese Falcon/Treasure of the Sierra Madre style classic, as opposed to Lucas’ pulpy over-the-top Saturday Matinee serial style that the others are more like. That teamed with Lawrence Kasdan’s incredible script/dialog, Harrison’s star turn in the first incarnation of the role he was born to play (I mean seriously, can you imagine if it was moustachioed Selleck instead?!), Williams’ incredible score and Slocombe’s impeccable cinematography.

When friends ask me what my ‘Sunday afternoon, warm-blanket of a movie I can watch endlessly is’, without hesitation, I always say Raiders.

Raiders came out when I was 8 and I remember walking home with my older brother after we saw it and feeling like I was dodging boulders, cracking whips and punching Nazis the whole walk home. I was so happy after seeing that movie and still am to this day, every time. As an adult, I can appreciate the framing, the ‘mistakes’, the relentless editing (I don’t think it comes up for air from the Raven bar fight right until the ark is finally sealed after laying waste to all the baddies!)

Raiders is a 4-star cinema masterpiece, one of Spielberg’s best, and an enduring classic. The others have merit and moments, and are ‘fun’, but aren’t even in the same league as Raiders. I love them just because we get to see the great Indiana Jones on another adventure.

But that’s just my humble opinion, feel free to agree to disagree. Fortune and Glory my friends, Fortune and Glory. :gun

Every line and frame of Raiders is perfect. It's definitely one of the most rewatchable movies ever up there with T2 for me.
Raiders almost more belongs to a grouping of WWII, action and/or adventure films of the late 60s, 70s and early 80s more than it does to TOD, TLC etc.

I just find the tone and even content of all the Indy sequels so different to Raiders, almost as if they belong to a somewhat different genre, despite the main character and branding being in common.

I have always loved TLC more than anything else and actually guessed everyone would have liked it more than ROTLA until I joined this forum :lol :lol

It was my favourite for eons, mainly due to the humour and interplay between Ford and Connery. But Raiders eventually took over again.

I always wanted a setup like this but never got around to putting it together...

img1014p.jpg

Check this stunt mask out for nightmare fuel!
456502-20230703-224546.jpg

I knew if we waited long enough HT's original sculpt would become accurate!

review_htindy_3.jpg

Last edited:
I think you have it... although as I said I'm still juggling DoD and LC for that coveted 3rd spot.

Right now, because its new and without a 2nd viewing, it kind of hits #3... mostly for that opening 20 minutes and Mads as a great villain.

Mads is definitely in the Top 3 Indy villains for me. Beats Skull and Last Crusade handily... up there with Toht and Mola Ram.

I'd put Belloq in my top 3 over Mola Ram. Ram always seemed more of a Scooby Doo villain to me - a bit too over the top. Meanwhile Belloq was just nice and slimy. And while he didn't have the stomach for dishing out violence, he had no problem looking the other way if it served his purposes.

Back