Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the Indy trilogy with my son today. He thoroughly loved all 3 but Raiders was his favourite.
He asked if there were any more after Crusade, I said no.
I did tell him about this one and he's excited for it. Bless him, he's young and assumes it will be as good as the originals.
Though I'm perfectly content to wait for D+ on this one, I may end up seeing this at the cinema after all, with my son.

I can’t agree with this sorry, I’ve studied film most of my life and I can say objectively (lol) that Raiders is one of the best directed films of the modern age. I can provide evidence in the form of pages and pages and pages of my notes why Raiders is one of the greats.

The majority of the people rating on imdb are not serious film students (maybe when it started but not anymore) and can’t be taken seriously. I’ve seen great films get a 6.5 rating on IMDb.
Okay, "objective quality" is probably the wrong term. What I meant though is that IMDb reflects the quality of a movie in the eyes of a normal movie goer. Students of film look at movies from a differently lens, as do movie critics whom have proven they aren't in-touch with the normal audience.

Also, Raiders isn't only competing with movies in the modern age, but with all movies in history, so #55 is a great ranking. I personally think it's above a 9/10.

Only seven movies have an IMDb score of 9 or more. Like it or not, but 964k people have rated it to give it a score of 8.4/10 and a rank of #55.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but the rating of a movie on IMDb is a better reflection of a movie's objective quality than our own biased opinions - it's only wrong in your subjective opinion. Heck, heaps of my personal favourite movies are nowhere near the IMDb top 250, but I don't care. I was just making a statement about how these movies are universally perceived, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
Of course. I was sharing mine.

:duff

Finished the Indy trilogy with my son today. He thoroughly loved all 3 but Raiders was his favourite.
I did tell him about this one and he's excited for it. Bless him, he's young and assumes it will be as good as the originals.
Though I'm perfectly content to wait for D+ on this one, I may end up seeing this at the cinema after all, with my son.
At least he watched them I can’t even get my son to watch anything that doesn’t start with Tik and ends with Tok. :gah:

Of course. I was sharing mine.

:duff
Good point mate! Sorry, I woke up at 4:30am and stupidly wrote these posts when I wasn't at my sharpest, so my language was not necessarily how I'd write it now after my morning caffeine hit and at work! No antagonism was intended on my part :duff

I personally think Raiders is 9+/10 and think 8.4/10 is criminally low. My favourite movie of all time "Patton" only has a score of 7.9/10 (heathens!), so obviously the average movie goer has poor taste!

At least he watched them I can’t even get my son to watch anything that doesn’t start with Tik and ends with Tok. :gah:
He's young enough that I can keep him away from social media. He still likes hanging out with dad and watching old movies.
His older sister though, yikes. It's a battle to keep her away from screens and social media.

2be6394b-f510-4530-848e-107a05be8dc6_text.gif

Kids need to find their own path. Who knows, heaven forbid he might like the unmentionable.

Yup,
Right there, IMDB has it wrong. Raiders is only 8.4? And only slightly better than LC? Seriously?

Raiders is a near perfect adventure movie. Deserves a 9+ at the very least. I mean, if not Raiders, than what the hell is?

ToD is a far cry from Raiders, true. But I think LC is even further. Suddenly Indy is a family film and the movie is full of inconsistencies, really poor logic, and silly gags. Connery makes the movie... but a jokey buddy-buddy is not the best structure for Indiana Jones. It reminded me of a Roger Moore James Bond movie in its slapstick humor after years of good Connery ones.

For me, each film got progressively worse.
Agree there's been a steady decline for Jones. Only own the first two on physical media and I'm not watching this last one until there are convincing reviews available. When it comes to James though, I only ever rewatch Dr. No and Goldfinger from the Connery era while I absolutely love the Moore Bonds, warts and all (except the last one)

No antagonism was intended on my part :duff

I personally think Raiders is 9+/10 and think 8.4/10 is criminally low. My favourite movie of all time "Patton" only has a score of 7.9/10 (heathens!), so obviously the average movie goer has poor taste!
No worries at all.

7.9 for Patton? Patton? See... right there it tells you...

When it comes to James though, I only ever rewatch Dr. No and Goldfinger from the Connery era while I absolutely love the Moore Bonds, warts and all (except the last one)

Goldfinger, Thunderball and You Only Live Twice is, for me, the Holy Trinity of Bond... but I admit, I came of age during the Moore era and enjoyed his first three. They lost me at Moonraker. Only Zorin brought me back -- just Walken, not that movie. Now though, Live and Let Die is pretty silly and Golden Gun is pretty boring. Spy Who Loves Me is truly the only Moore that really stands up... it is Moore's "Goldfinger".

Good point mate! Sorry, I woke up at 4:30am and stupidly wrote these posts when I wasn't at my sharpest, so my language was not necessarily how I'd write it now after my morning caffeine hit and at work! No antagonism was intended on my part :duff

Yes they do have poor taste. And staggeringly, Patton is one of my 11 year old’s favorite movies! I’ve no idea how that happened lol.

Goldfinger, Thunderball and You Only Live Twice is, for me, the Holy Trinity of Bond... but I admit, I came of age during the Moore era and enjoyed his first three. They lost me at Moonraker. Only Zorin brought me back -- just Walken, not that movie. Now though, Live and Let Die is pretty silly and Golden Gun is pretty boring. Spy Who Loves Me is truly the only Moore that really stands up... it is Moore's "Goldfinger".
Spy was the first one I saw at the cinema so I have affinity for it and liked the Moore era when I was young but being exposed to Connery via tv repeats totally changed my view.

Trailer is a gigantic MEH for me. Why so dark and shadowy? Ford clearly not slamming that whip around at 90 mph in that scene. He just doesn't move anywhere near that fast. Leaping around moving vehicles? Sigh. Riding a galloping horse through the city. Haven't seen that before, right? Sigh.
I'm not saying it won't be a disaster but just looks more of the same warmed over.

I could be wrong and it will be a thrilling homage to the past OR it will be a cringey self deprecating call out of his previous persona who knows lol

Him swinging that whip made no sense and then all those guns firing with him ducking was a really dumb set piece.

Yeah, that's the kind of dumb junk I expect from this movie. It's exactly why I give it such a hard time. I still believe there will be more of that than there will be genuine, exciting adventure-action.

Back