In what order do you rate the Indiana Jones Movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always felt the Nazis back in TLC felt repetitive and especially so soon after TOD, which showed Indy doesn't always need Nazis to work. I'd like a more out of the box type enemy for 5.

What if...*

1) An older Indy is hired by a wealthy benefactor / ex-pat living in Rio, to travel with an expedition, as a consultant. It turns out that the benefactor is a war criminal that escaped the war crimes trials, and is living in South America. (I have a few problems with my own idea here; namely, that's Donovan-esque, and KOTCS alreadt visited Meso/South America.)

2) Indy is leading a group of his students on a field study in the Himalayas. The sister school of Marshall (or Barnett) is a school in Shanghai. They've sent one of their professors, with a group of his students, to accompany Dr. Jones' party. Upon reaching some location, one of the students from Indy's class goes missing. Indy and the other professor go into a cave to look for the person. They discover a path leading to Shangri-La... Also, was it obvious that the Shanghai professor is, of course, an adult Short Round played by the now age appropriate Jonathan Ke Quan. You get Indy, Shorty, and some new, younger blood into the mix. Bonus points if the inhabitants of Shangri-La are, instead of the British ex-pats in the Lost Horizon version, the NAZIS! lol. Just kidding. I think the villain here could be more of a Mola Ram-type of spiritual boogeyman (or woman).

3) Indy goes looking for the Fountain of Youth. At the end, he falls in. The audience is left to believe he drowned. Out walks Chris Pratt/Bradley Cooper/etc.

*These are all tongue-in-cheek. Please keep that in mind while reading.

I think Indy after an item used by Vlad The Impaler could be very cool. There was actually even a novel too where Indy was in pursuit of a vampire's cup IIRC. It might be a bit out there for the films but the films aren't completely reality-based, either.

It's a film time has been very kind to for sure. One of those movies once you have no more expectations for it and re-visit it with an open mind it's surprising how well it holds up and gets better the more you watch it. I find it's gotten better with age whereas TLC, enjoyable as it is, diminishes for me a tad every time I watch it.

It's a film time has been very kind to for sure. One of those movies once you have no more expectations for it and re-visit it with an open mind it's surprising how well it holds up and gets better the more you watch it. I find it's gotten better with age whereas TLC, enjoyable as it is, diminishes for me a tad every time I watch it.

Time notwithstanding, I was surprised at how cheesy the special effects looked in TLC - primarily the escape sequence from the blimp and ensuing plane/car chase. Just watched it a week or so ago. I'm prepping myself for my first KOTCS viewing since the theater. But, our son is really getting into Indy...so...

Ya know... here's the funny thing about how having kids changes your view on KOTCS and the lousy effects in LC... I may cringe at a lot of KOTCS.. a LOT... but when watching it with my son and daughter.. (ages 6&9 now)... There is a steady stream of "coooool".. and "whoa".. and laughter.. Even at its worst.. (think Mutt and the monkeys swinging on vines :slap Yet the kids dug it.. So in the end it simply turned a new generation of kids into Indy fans.. which I'm cool with..

Ya know... here's the funny thing about how having kids changes your view on KOTCS and the lousy effects in LC... I may cringe at a lot of KOTCS.. a LOT... but when watching it with my son and daughter.. (ages 6&9 now)... There is a steady stream of "coooool".. and "whoa".. and laughter.. Even at its worst.. (think Mutt and the monkeys swinging on vines :slap Yet the kids dug it.. So in the end it simply turned a new generation of kids into Indy fans.. which I'm cool with..

We took our son to opening day of TFA. During the movie I raised an eyebrow here or there (re: slight problems I had with the movie), but you're right...I walked out of the movie thoroughly enjoying the experience because I saw how absolutely jazzed he was to see Han and Chewy again, and how he fell in love with Rey from minute one. I am a prequel-hater, but watching him watch those movies is a totally different ballgame.

Sometimes as adults we forget what made us laugh when we were young! I'm sure there are corny jokes in movies from our own youth that adults used to roll their eyes at as well.

Time notwithstanding, I was surprised at how cheesy the special effects looked in TLC - primarily the escape sequence from the blimp and ensuing plane/car chase. Just watched it a week or so ago. I'm prepping myself for my first KOTCS viewing since the theater. But, our son is really getting into Indy...so...

Even when the movie came out I thought the effects looked pretty cheap, considering this was a major tentpole film, and in a Spielberg movie for pete's sake! That used to mean something! TOD has some dodgy stuff as well, like the projected background when they're riding the raft down the mountain but overall still better than LC. However, Raiders' effects still look amazing.

I would say that the original Raiders of the lost ark will be my all time favorite...then The last crusade, Krystall Skull and finally Temple of Doom. ��

I would say that the original Raiders of the lost ark will be my all time favorite...then The last crusade, Krystall Skull and finally Temple of Doom. ��

Raiders is my all-time favorite movie, regardless of Indy series or not. Prior to the recent re-watches, I'd have put them as: ROTLA, TLC, TOD, and KOTCS. Now, however, I could easily flip-flop TLC and TOD, or even consider them as a tie.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it is pretty easy to draw parallels between ROTLA and TLC re: a bit of a re-hash. However, I think certain scenes in TLC are iconic. Additionally, I've grown to appreciate Connery's turn as Henry Sr., much more now. It was somewhat surprisingly that TLC is my wife's favorite; precisely because of the humor and exchanges between Ford and Connery, and that the movie, "doesn't take itself as seriously," as ROTLA, and has a memorable, believable and familial on-screen relationship (something that "Indy and Mutt" fails at...again, imho).

On the other side of the coin, I recall watching TOD about 5-7 years ago and thinking, "this has a lot of 'gross out' features." I thought Willie was a total throwaway character. Now, I think TOD is pretty fresh, thematically, amongst the films, and follows more of a "Doc Savage" or serialized dramatization of the likes of Conan Doyle, while borrowing from previous cinema; Gunga Din, for example. Not only does the film feature some very iconic scenes, but it's also the only Indy film that shows Indy's humanity and compassion for others; freeing the enslaved kids.

KOTCS still resides at the bottom of my list. I just can't see it climbing...

A lot of the effects in TLC definitely look cheap and shoddy. Not sure if it's just me but it has a more low-budget look to it than the other three for some reason.

A lot of the effects in TLC definitely look cheap and shoddy. Not sure if it's just me but it has a more low-budget look to it than the other three for some reason.

Don't think it was a lower budget. I think by then it was just moving into the CGI era which now looks very dated.
The first two movies were stunt work, miniatures and clever filming techniques to make things look real.

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Last Crusade
3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
4. Temple of Doom

I'm wondering how Indy 5 will go. I felt that KotCS was a good bookend. Indy finally settled down with the best leading lady of the saga and he now has a son - unfortunate casting choice aside. I'm guessing that may all have been fleeting since characters tend not to get a happily ever after anymore.

Don't think it was a lower budget. I think by then it was just moving into the CGI era which now looks very dated.
The first two movies were stunt work, miniatures and clever filming techniques to make things look real.

Good point. Practical effects tend to age much better than digital.

With Disney now in charge of Indy, I wonder how 5 will fare under them? I thought The Force Awakens was awesome and a Hell of a comeback for Star Wars, so if that's any indication, Indy is in good hands.

I certainly hope so. I too loved TFA. But actually Spielberg is now the unknown element. He can go either way nowadays. His track record lately has been a bit hit or miss. Hopefully Kathleen Kennedy will either pair up Spielberg with someone who can guide him away from his more goofy and family friendly ideas or else just guide him herself.

I'd love for 5 to be dark and foreboding like TOD was, the final adventure should be something intense and scary. Sadly with Spielberg favoring the more lighthearted Indy I doubt he'll go that route.

Most definitely in the order in which they were released:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Temple of Doom
3. Last Crusade
4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I'd love for 5 to be dark and foreboding like TOD was, the final adventure should be something intense and scary. Sadly with Spielberg favoring the more lighthearted Indy I doubt he'll go that route.

I agree ....though no chance in hell we are getting that !

It's an era of bloodless all ages CGI corporate non-offensiveness now, crafted to make as much as possible in the first 2 weeks.

And have you seen the official docos where Lucas and Spielberg are embarrassed and apologetic for ToD and blame it on their divorces they were going through.

Most we could hope for is Last Crusade quality but in reality Indy 5 will be a continuation of Crystal Skulls style.

It'd be great to have the next movie be on par quality-wise with Raiders. If we can't get another one tonally like TOD than Raiders would be good enough.

Back