How do YOU feel about Hot Toys re-releases?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do YOU feel about Hot Toys re-releases?

• Don't Care

Votes: 99 22.5%
  • Happy to have a second crack at a figure

Votes: 230 52.3%
  • Getting annoyed by them

Votes: 66 15.0%
  • Frustrated and view this practice as unfair

Votes: 45 10.2%

• Total voters
I'm happy about re-releases as I missed out on a lot of stuff a few years ago. But, the thing is, that Hot Toys never re-releases the same figure. There are always improvements, additional accessories, and new head-sculpts that makes their re-releases different than the original products. That said, I don't believe that the folks who already own some the old pieces should be concerned, if some of the figures are being re-released.

Im glad. I now have an OC batman, IM MKII coming, and IM MK I coming i missed out on all 3 of those original releases. I would look forward to a re-release of King Leonidas, and also Wolverine even though i have him already. So doesnt bother me at all :)

Im glad. I now have an OC batman, IM MKII coming, and IM MK I coming i missed out on all 3 of those original releases. I would look forward to a re-release of King Leonidas, and also Wolverine even though i have him already. So doesnt bother me at all :)

I got OC Batman as well, and now that Hot Toys has just announced a re-release of the Tumbler, I'll be able to add that to my collection also :clap

I got OC Batman as well, and now that Hot Toys has just announced a re-release of the Tumbler, I'll be able to add that to my collection also :clap

i felt that I'd want it to but I just have no room whatsoever for something as huge as the tumbler. I've seen that sucker in person and while it is definitely without a doubt impressive the whole thing would stay i the box somewhere in the closet unless i mounted it on the wall which would totally defeat the purpose

Re: Re-releases and Variants - WGAS?

Nam stop posting that pic, makes me feel like puking.:lol

The re-releases are good, people have missed out and they get a chance to pick up the figure. HT makes more money which inevitably ends up going to R & D and we get the benefits from that too.

I didn't have the funds for a tumbler but now I might, win for me.

As far as I can tell the only people that hate the re-releases are the ones who consider these bits of plastic "investments".

Enjoy them for what they are, they're not high-end collectibles just-high priced plastic figures.

Then why are they marketed as such? And why does every single release from HT say "Limited Edition" if the edition isn't limited? Doesn't that equate to false advertising?

As for the "more money" remark, that's not true. Let's look at what we've seen from HT. More money = more licenses = more product = lower QC. Are you willing to accept Sideshow hit-and-miss QC at HT prices? :huh

i felt that I'd want it to but I just have no room whatsoever for something as huge as the tumbler. I've seen that sucker in person and while it is definitely without a doubt impressive the whole thing would stay i the box somewhere in the closet unless i mounted it on the wall which would totally defeat the purpose

No kidding. But, I think I'll have to get it anyway. I'll find the space somewhere, even if I have to display it on my dining room table :lol.

I personally view the practice as unfair to those fans that got their first.

Sounds selfish and childish to me.

So anyone that just had too many bills or other "real life" priorities at the time should just miss out on a Tumbler or an Iron Man figure and not get another chance?

Too many people are viewing these figures as investments and talking like they just lost money.

Don't see how this can be viewed as "unfair". How does a rerelease affect you in any way. If you already have it, don't buy it. :dunno

I find this frustrating, annoying, and every bit of profanity that I can't say here. I collect Hot Toys not only because I love my expensive action figures (and I will keep them for years to come), but there are people like me who also collect as an investment for our future retirement (hopefully early).
If they keep re-releasing these, and flood the market again, what is the point.
They are just trying to keep everyone happy that missed out the first time and in the process make more money (cue - rubbing hands together).
I thought this company was in it for the love of collecting high end collectibles?
Now their QC has dropped, with more figures having a few issues here and there, so it is now a case of making as much money as possible at the expense of the people buying their products.
They should take the words "limited edition" of all future releases because that clearly is not the case.

^^^ gotta agree with the Capt'n on this one, to much attention to 'what these things are worth.' Intrinsically these are expensive collectible toys. These are NOT blue chip investments, buy gold if making money is your goal.

However, re-releases can be a double edged sword. Improvements are welcomed, but a similar thing happened with comics in the early '90s and sport card collecting in '90s--oversaturation wears out the consumer. Once the consumer leaves the field the perceived value drops. Only the cream will rise to the top.

I knew when I started getting into Hot Toys, that they redid figures. But, these new versions seemed to coincide with new movies. Iron Man 2 for instance, had all the suits shown in the movie, if only in the background. That's a chance to release an update of a figure under the Iron Man 2 title IMO. But, it's clearly labeled Iron Man 2 and not a straight remake. I'm not sure I feel the same way about flat releasing something over again in exactly the same manner and everything as before.

I think along with the increase in value of the originals, there is a level of pride in having something other people don't, but wish they did. Same thing as having a sports car. If everyone owned sports cars all the sudden, it would be quite the blow to people who had them before. You can make the case that it's great for everyone to have one, which it would be. But, it changes the dynamic of having the car to begin with. In the same way, the idea that HT would not remake stuff, is what makes their product seem special in addition to the quality of it. If Hasbro started making 1/6 figures of similar quality, people would still look down on them, cause Hasbro traditionally makes toys and makes them until they don't sell anymore. Look at the NECA 1/4 Predator release. Those are fantastic figures, but it's still NECA, which makes them less "collectible" because of the perception of the brand.

HT seems to be risking the exclusivity of their brand, even if we don't know how it will work out for them. I would suspect if they saturate their market repeatedly, it will pay off in the near term, but many will lose interest in the long run because there's no value other than owning a toy anymore, and they erode the trust of their base set of buyers. Or, their market has grown so much, it can handle it. We'll know in time. But, I've been around the block enough in marketing to say it usually ends up being the former. It's like anything else, where it's cool so long as everyone isn't doing it. The same goes for fashion, music, electronics, you name it.

Last edited:
I find this frustrating, annoying, and every bit of profanity that I can't say here. I collect Hot Toys not only because I love my expensive action figures (and I will keep them for years to come), but there are people like me who also collect as an investment for our future retirement (hopefully early).
If they keep re-releasing these, and flood the market again, what is the point.
They are just trying to keep everyone happy that missed out the first time and in the process make more money (cue - rubbing hands together).
I thought this company was in it for the love of collecting high end collectibles?
Now their QC has dropped, with more figures having a few issues here and there, so it is now a case of making as much money as possible at the expense of the people buying their products.
They should take the words "limited edition" of all future releases because that clearly is not the case.

If you're looking for financial security for the future, you shouldn't be investing in toys.

What I don't get is why ppl are acting like new or updated versions of the same character is something new from HT :dunno the only thing that's different is that it's occurring more often now.

I mean, anyone remember the ORIGINAL batman begins figure?? OC bats was an updated better version and then, recently, there's the first night out batman begins which is arguabley better than the OC

What about the V1 Superman Returns and Clark Kent?? Both of those got an updated and arguably better versions as well. Didn't see anyone complain when that happened.

There doesn't even seem to be that many ppl who actually care or are mad, just a few sour grapes.

Sure these are "high end" but at the end of the day they are still action figures and anyone who's been collecting actions figures for a long time like I have should know by now that re-releases are just part of this hobby. At the end of the day it's your choice to buy and either to sell and buy again or keep what ya got, it's that simple.

No kidding. But, I think I'll have to get it anyway. I'll find the space somewhere, even if I have to display it on my dining room table :lol.

I'm going to wait on the price before I decide. But with so many other awesome pieces to look forward to, tumbler is definitely not at the top for me

If you're looking for financial security for the future, you shouldn't be investing in toys.
:exactly::exactly:

Last edited:

All fair points Nam. :goodpost:

I just don't personally see my plastic figures as high end collectible but yes they are marketed as such, I enjoy my collection for sure though.

I agree with the "limited edition" part, yes it would seem like false advertising when they come out with a "new batch" or a slight change and call it Version 2.0.

I own the Blade figure and I like the fact it's "worth" more than I paid for it but I also wouldn't care if it got re-released I know heaps of people missed out on one. I like the second chance to be able to get a figure I missed out on without paying stupid prices.

I also agree with the QC issues but I'm prepared to think that it may have only been a case of a couple of figure's releases that suffered, ie Cap and Bats and hope it's not a new trend. My Cap has the slightly crooked "A" too which isn't impressive.

I collect Hot Toys not only because I love my expensive action figures (and I will keep them for years to come), but there are people like me who also collect as an investment for our future retirement (hopefully early).

Are you serious?

Can you let me know which figures to buy then because I'd love to retire.

It's pretty hilarious reading all the people raging at reissues when a lot of them already have the item.

Hats off to the lucky people buying low and selling high on these collectibles right before the announcements.

Hate it, no value to collect.

Back