Hot Toys - TMS051/2 - Mandalorian and Grogu (Season 2)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm don't like the sound of using a thinner. I'm wondering if using diluted isopropyl alcohol might be best to try. A less extreme approach

Depending how severe the weathering is in hand once mine arrives i may try alcohol on an inconspicuous area. Even if it takes longer to remove or reduce I'd rather take my time than risk damaging the chrome finish.
Yeah the thinner method sounds butthole clenching.
I think I'd try the alcohol method first then move onto the thinner if that didn't work. I'd be sweating bullets the whole time though...
I've ordered this one from a UK retailer so I'll probably be last to get him, so I'm not going to be much help in passing on techniques unfortunately.

8ADD6804-CA27-4590-B007-60A647EF14BA.jpeg

I wonder how hard it will be to just get the sculpt. I don’t necessarily feel a strong need to get this version of Mando since I have the other Beskar version.

Also have the Dark Saber from Moff Gideon already so if I want Mando to have it I can just give it to him.
I just found a seller parting the set and bought the sculpt. Can’t wait for it to arrive.

Lol they won’t tell. I remember with hot toys wolf predator V1 this guy on YT who modded the shoulder cannons to look more accurate and would only tell people how he did it if they payed him $30 bucks…. It was such an easy mod to figure out too.
Well, if that's the case, let's all chip in a quarter 😂

Willing to risk mine to test if it works
Are you going to try the X-20 thinner method? Sounds risky that one, be careful mate.
I'm not certain I'm going to keep my order but if I do, I'll definitely want to reduce the weathering. Thanks to my UK retailer getting their stock literally from the slow boat to China, I'll be waiting months to get mine.

762r0s.gif

Clearly the damp sea-sponge stippling guy was off, due to covid.
Enter the "back-up" stippling Maniac! Who never stippled-off enough of the wash, and called it a stippling day. :lol
There could be some "stippling" variety on this figure.

Although honestly, it's what they showed, in diffused studio lighting, you can see it's there.
Looks like some harsh lighting pics. are going to shockingly up the contrast, and emphasize the heavily reflected "stippling", which was there from the go.
Cue ..... complaints, melt-downs, and cancellations !
337811-DC478C4F-824A-44B1-93D0-3C0942AE5CD5.jpeg

337802-mando-grogu-s2.jpg

763by1.jpg

Hopefully all the panic "triggered" cancellations, move mine closer to the front of the line. :wink1:

FYI - I never once heard of the word "stippling" till today,

Last edited:
Good find!
So it seems the weathering is a wash. They then sponge and dab off the excess and finished result is the heavy stippling effect weathering.
Looks like they just apply over the chrome, which I'm guessing has a protective layer over it.
Alcohol might be enough to remove the weathering wash? A thinner seems like overkill and needlessly risky. Unless they put a further protective layer over the weathering wash?
Thanks very much for sharing this.
EDIT: It looks to be a brown wash too so no wonder it looks like rust.

Last edited:

just found this comparison too, where it looks significantly less weathered than the above? wonder if it varies figure to figure, comes down to the lighting, or a bit of both

Hmm don't like the sound of using a thinner. I'm wondering if using diluted isopropyl alcohol might be best to try. A less extreme approach

Depending how severe the weathering is in hand once mine arrives i may try alcohol on an inconspicuous area. Even if it takes longer to remove or reduce I'd rather take my time than risk damaging the chrome finish.
Just to drop in here, I will say with the extra black airbrushing they put on some Iron Man figures (QS Mk42 especially), I was able to remove with just isopropyl alcohol and a q tip. It was very very slow, like "is it even doing anything slow", but it did do the trick and without damage. Its not fun but you have a lot more margin for error than using something more potent, that's for sure

q774zvJ.jpg

jao5hst.jpg

B247DF12-0722-4E8E-8072-AFFF808A176B.jpeg

The crazy part is that the non chrome version looks more polished and shiny than the chrome version :rotfl

You know the weathering does give it a medieval knight who has been out searching for the holy grail for years vibe which i’m ok with.

I wouldn’t assume anything Sideshow is doing paint wise correlates to what hot toys does. The videos Sideshow puts out are painting for masters they send to a factory. The factory uses industrial paints with different formulas. What sideshow does also has no correlation to what Hot Toys does.

The weathering is done with some sort of printing technique. It’s not hand applied. I’ve compared copies of the same S1 beskar helmet and the weathering pattern was identical. I do think it’s done after the armor is cleared though.

My first test is going to be to use a cape cod cloth to polish it. If you aren’t familiar with them they’re a gentle polishing cloth that can remove fine scratches from glass without causing hazing. If my theory on their paint application is correct you should be able to polish off the weathering before removing enough clear to make a difference. If so it is much less risky than using solvents like alcohol that can leach through layers and cause hazing.

I wouldn’t assume anything Sideshow is doing paint wise correlates to what hot toys does. The videos Sideshow puts out are painting for masters they send to a factory. The factory uses industrial paints with different formulas. What sideshow does also has no correlation to what Hot Toys does.

The weathering is done with some sort of printing technique. It’s not hand applied. I’ve compared copies of the same S1 beskar helmet and the weathering pattern was identical. I do think it’s done after the armor is cleared though.

My first test is going to be to use a cape cod cloth to polish it. If you aren’t familiar with them they’re a gentle polishing cloth that can remove fine scratches from glass without causing hazing. If my theory on their paint application is correct you should be able to polish off the weathering before removing enough clear to make a difference. If so it is much less risky than using solvents like alcohol that can leach through layers and cause hazing.
I wish you luck, man!
Seriously, a big thanks to you guys who are getting these earlier and are willing to risk it for some answers for the rest of us. You're the MVP's here.

View attachment 615893

The crazy part is that the non chrome version looks more polished and shiny than the chrome version :rotfl

You know the weathering does give it a medieval knight who has been out searching for the holy grail for years vibe which i’m ok with.
Still waiting on my order to come through. UK collector so I’ll only have to wait a year 😆 After seeing some in hand shots and videos of the figure, I think it does depend on the lighting. My other hobbies include painting miniature figures, so my take is that it’s supposed to serve as a combination of weathering and shading to help make it look more three dimensional. Flat surfaces can end up looking very bland or toy like (especially metallics) and miniature painters have different techniques to add depth. This could be shading with a darker colour using an airbrush or successive layers of washing applied by hand. A chrome finish runs the risk of looking very toy like if nothing else is done, the way some toy cars might look.

Back