Hot Toys - TMS051/2 - Mandalorian and Grogu (Season 2)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing the armor clean and shiny is what I think looks better. Though I hope in hand the weathering isn't over done to where I have to do these mods. I rather he stay completely stock so I don't have to worry about damaging it.
Same that’s my worry too. My luck, I’ll do something wrong and there goes the nice shiny chrome finish 😩

Same that’s my worry too. My luck, I’ll do something wrong and there goes the nice shiny chrome finish 😩
I know now what can be used. I'll probably try it later. Though I honestly rather not attempt anything I do want a clean armor over what HT has done. If it was light weathering it would have been ok but they went overboard with it. Smh

If I was going to remove it, I'd try the isopropyl alcohol method first.
If that didn't do the job, maybe try Safe Strip? I've used it many times, it's non-toxic and less likely to take away any shine from the armor.
No way I'd take thinner anywhere near this guy. lol

Attachments

• 20230102_154926.jpg
    20230102_154926.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Anybody have a hunch as to when this guy will flip from preorder to in stock on Sideshow? I’ve never ordered from them and didnt know if there’s a decent estimate of time between Sideshow’s official recent promos and people receiving them to when it switches to in stock.

Anybody have a hunch as to when this guy will flip from preorder to in stock on Sideshow? I’ve never ordered from them and didnt know if there’s a decent estimate of time between Sideshow’s official recent promos and people receiving them to when it switches to in stock.
Used to be about 4-6 weeks, then it went to 8-12 due to the mess with global shipping. But sometimes they do simultaneous releases, or shortly thereafter. So essentially...no one knows for certain. It's on a case by case basis, and all we can do is patiently wait for the processing emails from SSC.

Last edited:
And to add to what @noheddardstark said - it will still normally say “pre-order” on the site even when ppl start getting shipping notices as Sideshow won’t normally flip it to show as in-stock until they’ve fulfilled most of their POs. So @Sktchwlkr , you will probably get your shipping notice before Sideshow officially states that it’s in-stock and ready to ship. It doesn’t always work out that way, though.

i feel like this is the first time in a little while that we didnt get a “simultaneous” release with sideshow. it’s still fairly early though, hopefully orders start processing soon.

If I was going to remove it, I'd try the isopropyl alcohol method first.
If that didn't do the job, maybe try Safe Strip? I've used it many times, it's non-toxic and less likely to take away any shine from the armor.
No way I'd take thinner anywhere near this guy. lol
I may try the x-20 method if weathering is as bad in hand. Did some googling about x-20 and found someone who found out the contents

%40 methy-iso-buthyl-ketone
%40 isopropanol
%10 isobutanol
%10 diacetone alcohol

I may just try diluting x-20 and trying it on a small hidden area, perhaps the back plate.

Nothing new revealed, just another quick unboxing surfaced out there, if still curious how yet another random lighting effects (or not) the look of the weathering.

Last edited:
Nothing new revealed, just another quick unboxing surfaced out there, if still curious how yet another random lighting effects (or not) the look of the weathering.

Bit rate on the video is terrible, doesn’t hold it still so its just a compressed mess.

I may try the x-20 method if weathering is as bad in hand. Did some googling about x-20 and found someone who found out the contents

%40 methy-iso-buthyl-ketone
%40 isopropanol
%10 isobutanol
%10 diacetone alcohol

I may just try diluting x-20 and trying it on a small hidden area, perhaps the back plate.

40% of your X-20 is just your run of the mill rubbing alcohol (isopropanol = isopropyl, just naming conventions). So I'd lean to trying that first. It shouldn't be as intense as the cutting ability of a ketone solvent. From what I understand well varnished coats are tolerant to a little more and require heavier solvents, but in any case all of these in here should functionally do the same thing from a chem perspective, just in varying levels of aggressiveness. But we know that if this works, almost half of your thinner is just rubbing alcohol. So you have a milder component that should work. I wasn't a paint chemist but in another life I was way more up on this side of science.

For such an expensive figure a lot of you are sure overly content to try and remove the weathering. :panic: :lol
So who will be adding sand, grit and slime to their expensive figure🤑, to replicate that epic just blew up the Krayt moment. After all he does come with a detonator.:wink1:
768qdx.gif
ec32902e562b38092b51998c819fc787

Love that he uses the pulse-rifle to trigger the Krayt to open his mouth, you can see the energy crackling as he escapes.

Last edited:
finally got my sideshow email!

… that it’s delayed. specifically to “jan-feb 2023”, which is when we expected it to ship now anyway? weird.

So I think Cape Cod Cloths are the perfect solution, which makes sense since they are for polishing fine metals. Here is the jetpack with one side polished and one side not. What’s perfect is it’s finely abrading the tarnish away so you can leave the specific amount of tarnish behind that you want with no risk to the finish below. Any hazing you may see is actually a little oil from the cloth that needs to be completely cleaned. These are the finest polishing cloths you can find and do not leave any scratch marks.

CE2B0557-2E3E-4EDA-84A1-21EC9AFCF84A.jpeg
9750BE2D-65A0-445E-A736-DA19CC3A150D.jpeg

I’ll be recording the process soon and post a before and after.

So I think Cape Cod Cloths are the perfect solution, which makes sense since they are for polishing fine metals. Here is the jetpack with one side polished and one side not. What’s perfect is it’s finely abrading the tarnish away so you can leave the specific amount of tarnish behind that you want with no risk to the finish below. Any hazing you may see is actually a little oil from the cloth that needs to be completely cleaned. These are the finest polishing cloths you can find and do not leave any scratch marks.

View attachment 616101View attachment 616102

Thanks for sharing! That looks really good and is an improvement over both the over weathered factory look as well as the almost too clean post thinner application look. Nicely done!

Looks very promising. You'll have to share when you come to do the more noticable parts like the chest and helmet. Some before an afters. Is there a specific product you used or are all cape cod cloths made equal? Never used one before.

If it's possible to get the same results without using any sort of thinners/alcohol etc i'd prefer that.

I mean I can't speak for anyone else but i've been waiting for a chrome version before buying a Mando for a while. Decided not to get the 2.0 version and held out for this. For me personally I was not going to order one as I didn't want one as weathered as this appears to be, but if its easy to remove i'm fine.

It's more a perference for me, some others may like the weathered look, I may like it once in hand. If it wasn't for these brave people taking a chance and ruining their figures I'd probably be opting out.

Back