Hot Toys - TMS051/2 - Mandalorian and Grogu (Season 2)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, ya'll really like to nitpick. lol
I really like the weathering/dirt they put on the armor. Actually makes it look like he crashed a speeder bike and had to trek across Tatooine on foot!
It's like everyone has already forgotten what the Dark Lord of the Sith himself once said about sand: "It's coarse and rough and irritating — and it gets everywhere!"
Anyhow, I think this guy looks freaking cool. I'm glad I skipped the other two and waited for this one.

Well yeah. It’s a 12 inch doll pushing $400. why wouldn’t I? Haha.

I get things can change between promos and release but this is quite the difference after seeing it in all kinds of lighting, not just in perfectly arranged studio lighting. I showed my buddy who isn’t a collector a bunch of photos prior to this week and after and he instantly saw the difference.

This is such a weird release :lol

Dude, it really is…

Wow, ya'll really like to nitpick. lol
"Nitpicking" doesn't apply when you pay 300-400+ for figures only to have them turn out nothing like the advertised product.

These are premium products so we should recieve premium service. There shouldn't have to be online discourse over how much the final product is a bait and switch from the prototype.

I have no idea why some collectors are willing to just sit back and accept sub par products.

I am so confused on what the % of weathering that is supposed to exist on this figure lol

I swear in that video under direct lighting most of the chrome has an almost mirror finish with some minor weathering speckling.

i’m even rubbing my eyes now lol

Just catching up on the last 15 pages or so, I've gone from literally sat on the Sideshow page being on the verge of cancelling, to loving it off the back of that Instagram post. I really hope the removal process is posted before mine ships.

I'm not sure how this can be called nitpicking. The 'weathering' on this looks like the chrome is coming off in vast quantities rather than looking like he's been in a desert, it looks absolutely dreadful. To me in the show, Mando's suit is polished, reflective and well maintained. The level of meticulousness his bounty hunting is the same as his appearance. That's what I want to display. If he comes with the Dark Sabre etc as well as the hobo bags, he should be over all representative of the season- which is largely clean.

Honestly think the weathering looks terrible. I don't know what on earth they were thinking. Proper deal breaker for me, so I really hope to god it's a simple process to remove.

Last edited:
I'm glad they put weathering on there rather than not at all, I think if they'd have done that it would have looked like a toy. I'm hopeful that the weathering can be removed, with there being a lot there I can feel I have some control as to how much weathering I want by removing some. It would have been a pain to add weathering from scratch.

15242136-A88E-499D-B2A1-B1D6BBCEECE8.jpeg

9AD0E0C4-41B6-4AE9-B1F3-90AF95D76353.jpeg

Watching season 2 now and in the first episode when he lands on Tatooine he seems like he has a good amount of weathering, his helmet does look pretty clean but I can see some dirt and grim on the other pieces. I think it just depends on lighting and angle much like how some of the YouTube videos of the figure make it look less weathered.

I'm glad your happy but I'd hardly call it "nitpicking"
Sure under bright lighting the weathering doesn't show up as much but, as previously posted pictures show, under natural lighting, the weathering is very heavy.
You're happy because the heavy weathering looks like he's been rolling around in the sands of Tattooine for a few days. A nice representation of the scene at the end of ep1 or start of ep2.
The issue myself and some others take, is that this is supposed to be a Season 2 Mando, not season 2 end of ep1 and start of ep2 Mando.
I've noticed that Hot Toys likes to make some of their figures based off of certain scenes every now and then. So considering that he has the broken speeder parts, and was advertised around the same time as the 1/6 speeder bike, I would assume this figure is supposed to portray the events that led up right after the crash? He was heavily grimed up during that scene.
Well yeah. It’s a 12 inch doll pushing $400. why wouldn’t I? Haha.

I get things can change between promos and release but this is quite the difference after seeing it in all kinds of lighting, not just in perfectly arranged studio lighting. I showed my buddy who isn’t a collector a bunch of photos prior to this week and after and he instantly saw the difference.
Oh same here man. Heck I'll be paying around $570 before he finally shows up at my post office. Most I've ever payed for a figure.
I mentioned why the extra dirt doesn't bother me, he's based off the crash scene, so I kind of would expect it to be there.

"Nitpicking" doesn't apply when you pay 300-400+ for figures only to have them turn out nothing like the advertised product.

These are premium products so we should recieve premium service. There shouldn't have to be online discourse over how much the final product is a bait and switch from the prototype.

I have no idea why some collectors are willing to just sit back and accept sub par products.
I would hardly call this guy "sub par" simply because he has to much grime on him. lol
But I also understand what you mean, if it's not shipped the way it's originally advertised as, then that can be huge letdown as well.
But! Nearly every promo photo does have the little warning about how "the original product may vary" and such. It sucks, but it is what is.

On another note, for those looking to remove it or just some of it, a comment above mentioned isopropyl alcohol. I think if it was slightly diluted, maybe dab a bit on a micro fiber cloth and start shining up the armor!
I've seen a few of Hot Toys paint videos, and my guess is it's more than likely just a wash. Washes generally wipe off pretty easy.

Also, here's some pics from the speeder scene (which I believe the figure is based off of).

vlcsnap-2022-12-31-15h55m54s094.png
vlcsnap-2022-12-31-15h53m37s055.png
vlcsnap-2022-12-31-15h54m04s369.png

I would hardly call this guy "sub par" simply because he has to much grime on him. lol
It's not screen accurate, which these figures are designed to be; therefore it is sub par imo.
Also, here's some pics from the speeder scene (which I believe the figure is based off of).

View attachment 615714View attachment 615715View attachment 615716
That's green fluid though from being inside the Krayt dragon, it's not dark dirt and grime like the figure shows it to be.

They’ve painted up smaller scale beskar armor so there’s really no telling at this moment unless they actually spill the beans on what they’ve done.
That's true. I'm just speculating but after snooping around their page a bit, I saw no indication they were doing really high end chrome painting otherwise it would've showed up on the s01 beskar Mando. Again, speculating but my gut is telling me it's not a paint app but the removal of HT's grime app. I shall wait patiently for their reply and get back to everyone here.

That's true. I'm just speculating but after snooping around their page a bit, I saw no indication they were doing really high end chrome painting otherwise it would've showed up on the s01 beskar Mando. Again, speculating but my gut is telling me it's not a paint app but the removal of HT's grime app. I shall wait patiently for their reply and get back to everyone here.
Lol they won’t tell. I remember with hot toys wolf predator V1 this guy on YT who modded the shoulder cannons to look more accurate and would only tell people how he did it if they payed him $30 bucks…. It was such an easy mod to figure out too.

You're a true gent, much appreciated.
I ordered the standard version, rather than the deluxe, so this might not be of any help to anyone by the time I get it, but I'm thinking of keeping my order and making the attempt to clean at least some of the weathering off myself. Report the results back here.
EDIT: Looking closely at the pics you shared of his, the weathering that remains looks so similar to the HT weathering, in style and placement, that personally I'm pretty sure it's what's left of the weathering already there, after cleaning, rather than weathering he's applied himself after repainting the chrome.
HT seems to have used a similar style of weathering on Jango to what they used on Mando, just less heavy.
Looking at the before and after pic of Jango's helmet you shared, what is left of the weathering after you cleaned him, looks an awful lot like the weathering effect on that customisers Mando in his pics.
I do think he swapped out the chromed plate on the right leg with a custom non chromed one though.
I might do the same with mine, as that thigh plate came from the droid and isn't Beskar so should be chrome like the rest of the armour.
Actually with that in mind, that thigh plate would be good for testing the weathering removing technique on. If it goes wrong, no matter, I'm going to replace that armour piece anyway.

Last edited:
Lol they won’t tell. I remember with hot toys wolf predator V1 this guy on YT who modded the shoulder cannons to look more accurate and would only tell people how he did it if they payed him $30 bucks…. It was such an easy mod to figure out too.

Hell I'd pay the $30 then share with ya'll if that was the case here haha I've spent that on dumber crap.

You're a true gent, much appreciated.
I ordered the standard version, rather than the deluxe, so this might not be of any help to anyone by the time I get it, but I'm thinking of keeping order and making the attempt to clean at least some of the weathering off myself. Report the results back here.
EDIT: Looking closely at the pics you shared of his, the weathering that remains looks so similar to the HT weathering, in style and placement, that personally I'm pretty sure it's what's left of the weathering already there, after cleaning, rather than weathering he's applied himself after repainting the chrome.
Did you really? Man...I've been debating what to do to. I ended up getting the full refund from the dx preorder and if I decided to pull the trigger, was going to opt for the standard instead to just because I really don't need to extra stuff and its cheaper. On top of that Im not sure if I should wait till release or not because I can get that teachers discount that only works with in stock figs and not preorders. I have no experience with sideshow so Im not sure what to do there. Do figs go out of stock right at release? I've heard its pretty uncommon.
Yeah I see it to dude. There's areas where these grime still there but faint and they line up exactly with the uncleaned version which is why Im thinking its just cleaned.
What you could do to ensure you dont screw up the chrome is do a test and pick a spot on the inside of the jetpack, assuming there's grime caked on there to.

Yea I remember that too. I also remember for Civil War Cap, there was someone who said that modded the figure without changing the body to the MoS like so many others did, but all he said to one person was “I moved the foam around” and that was it, no real helpful information :LOL: :slap

There’s a fairly popular customizer who used to frequent this place often that modded a different figure and everyone was asking how to do it. They never answered. And I thought I’d take a different approach and try to guess what they did and all they replied was “no” :lol

I hate when people are all mysterious about fixing stuff that’s simple. If it’s an easy fix just tell people what you did, if it’s not an easy fix and actually challenging to do like a repaint, why not say that?

I feel like sometimes if it’s too easy to do they don’t want to ruin the illusion that they did something impressive.

I’ll have the figure next week. If it’s an easy fix I’ll be posting it here.

Back