Hot Toys - TMS051/2 - Mandalorian and Grogu (Season 2)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. You’ll take generic footprint sand base and you’ll like it.

:pfft:

:lol

Once upon a time, the Krayt Dragon Lair would have been a given playset for the 3.75" line. Today it won't even happen there.
The playset would have been Krayt head that emerges and snaps, and oozes florescent slime, that drips all over the figures:
2017552d4d2814da942532d5a261f0bcd5009f54.gifv

Included a Tusken, a hapless Bantha for bait. a giant Ballista grapnel and line launch mechanism.
b733c5d55805880c6be9aa414ae1a58ab055f125.gifv

And a battle damaged Mando covered in Krayt slime!
cf3f24afa0be802ca0da7eb30dcbbb5dc29886f2.gif

Box art ....
Mandalorian-Concept-Art-Cobb-Krayt-Dragon.jpg

Would be cooll!! Even a 1/18 scale dragon would have some serious presence.

I likley would have bitten on that one, although Djarin looked a bloody mess, not sure if I would have been satisfied with that as Pascal's main figure portrait. :lol
I'm happy to be getting the "Rescue" version.

I don't mind a disheveled, bloodied-up look, in fact i think it would prefer it to a 'clean' head sculpt. Hmm, perhaps if had, the v1 sculpt would be battle-damaged and the v2 would be the regular, no? lol

I'm sure they will do an "upgraded" season 1 version as well LOL
I'm betting we will see a Season 2 snow version as well

Waaaaat?!?! :panic:

A snow version would be cool as well, oh and one covered in krayt dragin guts :lol

[I know I continually 'ramble' about diorama bases/stands] I think, it would be so cool it they went all out and made a scaled krayt dragon head peering out of sand base.
Go ahead and ramble:), I waz thinking that too. Luv dio stands, bases. Always looking for potentially useful Phicen bases, old Sideshow dioramas (GI Joe), old HT bases - but the cost of parted out stuff has done way up. For SW too I like to scrounge the back of hardware stores and pick up free waste material - broken tiles, patio bricks; stuff like that. Sort of thinking of picking up one of the mini mythosaur skulls for background.

Big bases and accessories aren't for everyone - for me I think they add interest to a display. But there's nothing wrong with a "clean" display and the weight of a big poly base can be a problem.

Meanwhile, tho there's a bunch of stuff I want, haven't PO'd a thing lately; with the long delays figure there's no rush. Except for having to think about burning Sideshow points this year before they get lost with the new system.:pfft:

Tasty Krayt Dragon meat.

Tiny Ice Spider.

Starfish.

Tython rock.

Standard Imperial issue Type-71 baby handcuffs.

Jeans Guy™.

Might have to make a hunk of this now that we are getting the bike. Maybe a pearl for the Sand People too.

Attachments

• man 0201 023.png
    man 0201 023.png
    1 MB · Views: 39
Go ahead and ramble:), I waz thinking that too. Luv dio stands, bases. Always looking for potentially useful Phicen bases, old Sideshow dioramas (GI Joe), old HT bases - but the cost of parted out stuff has done way up. For SW too I like to scrounge the back of hardware stores and pick up free waste material - broken tiles, patio bricks; stuff like that. Sort of thinking of picking up one of the mini mythosaur skulls for background.

Big bases and accessories aren't for everyone - for me I think they add interest to a display. But there's nothing wrong with a "clean" display and the weight of a big poly base can be a problem.

Meanwhile, tho there's a bunch of stuff I want, haven't PO'd a thing lately; with the long delays figure there's no rush. Except for having to think about burning Sideshow points this year before they get lost with the new system.:pfft:

:exactly: I indefinitely agree!! Dio/environment bases are fantastic, they add so much to the immersion of figures. Yeah parted out stuff is going for higher now, so may as well buy the whole figure set :lol That's what I'm thinking about with the upcoming black robe Boba Fett as well as others, but then I have to reconsider if it's worth it lol Though I've been able to nab loose stands periodically for what I consider reasonable; previously picked up a HT predator mud/rock stand, a stormriders fire base, and recently a 1/4 tdkr batman base (I know I already have my 1/4 batmen, but they're box'd up now and it's cool to have spare bases :lol) Anyhow, I'm still rambling hahah

:exactly: I indefinitely agree!! Dio/environment bases are fantastic, they add so much to the immersion of figures. Yeah parted out stuff is going for higher now, so may as well buy the whole figure set :lol That's what I'm thinking about with the upcoming black robe Boba Fett as well as others, but then I have to reconsider if it's worth it lol Though I've been able to nab loose stands periodically for what I consider reasonable; previously picked up a HT predator mud/rock stand, a stormriders fire base, and recently a 1/4 tdkr batman base (I know I already have my 1/4 batmen, but they're box'd up now and it's cool to have spare bases :lol) Anyhow, I'm still rambling hahah
Nah, I totally get it, and gotta luv the old HT predator stands - I have 2 jungle Predator stands I use for Infinity War figs, and with a stripped down fig like IW Bucky, it really makes the display IMO.

Yeah, you gotta jump on stuff when it's reasonable; I'm always checking places like Monkey Depot and the 'bay. But seems like this past year, prices really went up along with shipping $$$$. I've had to talk myself out of a few things, just 'coz of the cost.:cry:

Thankfully with SW u can get away with sand and bits from a hardware store. Even stuff like a 1/6 wooden barrel for my POTC figs has gone up $$$$:eek:

Nah, I totally get it, and gotta luv the old HT predator stands - I have 2 jungle Predator stands I use for Infinity War figs, and with a stripped down fig like IW Bucky, it really makes the display IMO.

Yeah, you gotta jump on stuff when it's reasonable; I'm always checking places like Monkey Depot and the 'bay. But seems like this past year, prices really went up along with shipping $$$$. I've had to talk myself out of a few things, just 'coz of the cost.:cry:

Thankfully with SW u can get away with sand and bits from a hardware store. Even stuff like a 1/6 wooden barrel for my POTC figs has gone up $$$$:eek:

Gotta enjoy putting figures on different stands to 'recreate' fave scenes from movie/show/comic! So much fun switching around stands. Also those extra pieces too, like IW Bucky as you mentioned, I felt he really needed that half outrider dio, but they made that piece exclusive :pfft: and the aftermarket is blehh.

Yuppp, always on lookout for decent deals in many a places, and I think TA and MD have best prices for the most part for parted out stuffs. Sometimes seeing the difference for what you originally bought something for and what it goes for currently is :horror

Gotta enjoy putting figures on different stands to 'recreate' fave scenes from movie/show/comic! So much fun switching around stands. Also those extra pieces too, like IW Bucky as you mentioned, I felt he really needed that half outrider dio, but they made that piece exclusive :pfft: and the aftermarket is blehh.

Yuppp, always on lookout for decent deals in many a places, and I think TA and MD have best prices for the most part for parted out stuffs. Sometimes seeing the difference for what you originally bought something for and what it goes for currently is :horror
Yeah, TA and MD are the best most of the time for parted out stuff; some ebay prices are laughable:D for stands and accessories. (Fortunately I got a half torso Outrider with my only War Machine; and I don't think he needs it so much as a better stand in the first place - actually I usually don't use a stand with WM, he's too heavy).

Prices are weird now too - like it looks like IM 46 has dropped in price; but CW Falcon is still way up there. Prices for old HT diorama stands are hilarious. IMO folks are better off getting a dremel and some epoxy and making their own. It's a case for getting the new swoop bike at retail, tho, IMO forget it down the road $$$$$ :eek:

Not like we don't have the time; I just checked and didn't realize Mando #3 isn't expected until late 2022. Of course they could always push a schedule up (like I got V2 way before I expected) but I'm just not gonna race to PO. It's hard to tie funds up for that long.

Whew...what a spirited discussion going on in here regarding this figure. While I don't get the whole debate over the forthcoming version over the deluxe Beskar version that is at long last appearing in many collections (including mine), to each their own and as long as it keeps folks engaged with the hobby.

My two cents on it are simple...while I never dove head-first into every Batman or Iron Man figure that came out with each little variance that hit with every release, I'm certainly enthusiastic about Mando and willing to at least consider picking up whatever figures HT chooses to produce if they are distinctive from one another. There have have been three releases so far and all have had a different look or group of accessories.

I LOVE the OG Mando. Will gladly keep it and display it next to Kuill holding the swaddled child astride his blurrg. As for the current deluxe one? Standing alone on the stand with the upright child at his feet.

The new one will be standing by the swoop, holding the Beskar spear upright.

All that is subject to change of course.

As for the question of chrome over the current figure's armor, I'm awaiting the final production piece before really deciding what one looks "best". I really like the finish on the Beskar version a lot. I've never been a fan of chromed parts on figures in the past. They end up looking "cheap" with the scale being betrayed in the reflections and the finish rendering the figure into looking more toy-like. The Captain Phasma figure comes immediately to mind. It just looks awful. Garish and cheap. I don't want to see that happen to Mando, so I'm remaining hopeful that the final chrome finish will end up looking sharp and intense. So far, the PO gallery and the photos of it at Secret Base aren't entirely convincing me, but we've got a long way to go before production so we'll see. Here's hoping HT doesn't drop the ball on this one.

Let the debates continue!

..... But if we just absolutely hated the chrome finish, could we just Testors Dull Cote the parts or something? Would that ruin the figure?

Or just repaint? I doubt i would take it that far, but others here have more experience modding HT

It's not just chrome-plated plastic as it is on cheaper toys, since there's weathering paint applied on top.

dc478c4f-824a-44b1-93d0-3c0942ae5cd5-jpeg.529286

It also doesn't look as reflective as the multiple layers of metallic paint they used to create Phasma's armour.

Paradoxically, going by this image, the paint on Phasma resembled the chrome-plated plastic of old toys more than the actual chrome-plating on the new Mando.

fullsizeoutput_3abc.jpeg

It's not just chrome-plated plastic as it is on cheaper toys, since there's weathering paint applied on top.

dc478c4f-824a-44b1-93d0-3c0942ae5cd5-jpeg.529286

It also doesn't look as reflective as the multiple layers of metallic paint they used to create Phasma's armour.

Paradoxically, going by this image, the paint on Phasma resembled the chrome-plated plastic of old toys more than the actual chrome-plating on the new Mando.

fullsizeoutput_3abc.jpeg
That’s not a good picture to go by; Phasma doesn’t look like that in hand. That figure is in a white photo box with very harsh lighting and is reflecting the white surroundings.

The paint is pretty impressive in person. It’s not a perfect figure, but Hot Toys did pretty good with the silver chrome-like effect aside from some splotchy weathering.

That said, I’m not worried about this figure. At this point, I would like to be mildly optimistic and say they wouldn’t do the paint this way if they didn’t think they could.

And if they mess up, I’ll enjoy watching the hell people rain down on them.

Whew...what a spirited discussion going on in here regarding this figure. While I don't get the whole debate over the forthcoming version over the deluxe Beskar version that is at long last appearing in many collections (including mine), to each their own and as long as it keeps folks engaged with the hobby.

My two cents on it are simple...while I never dove head-first into every Batman or Iron Man figure that came out with each little variance that hit with every release, I'm certainly enthusiastic about Mando and willing to at least consider picking up whatever figures HT chooses to produce if they are distinctive from one another. There have have been three releases so far and all have had a different look or group of accessories.

I LOVE the OG Mando. Will gladly keep it and display it next to Kuill holding the swaddled child astride his blurrg. As for the current deluxe one? Standing alone on the stand with the upright child at his feet.

The new one will be standing by the swoop, holding the Beskar spear upright.

All that is subject to change of course.

As for the question of chrome over the current figure's armor, I'm awaiting the final production piece before really deciding what one looks "best". I really like the finish on the Beskar version a lot. I've never been a fan of chromed parts on figures in the past. They end up looking "cheap" with the scale being betrayed in the reflections and the finish rendering the figure into looking more toy-like. The Captain Phasma figure comes immediately to mind. It just looks awful. Garish and cheap. I don't want to see that happen to Mando, so I'm remaining hopeful that the final chrome finish will end up looking sharp and intense. So far, the PO gallery and the photos of it at Secret Base aren't entirely convincing me, but we've got a long way to go before production so we'll see. Here's hoping HT doesn't drop the ball on this one.

Let the debates continue!
LOL u haven't seen garish unless you own the civvie version of Civil War Bucky (AC Play). So shiny. Arm like a Christmas ornament.:cool:

Agree tho - I figured from the start there'd be *variants* so I'm not fussed at release #3. Now, if they pull something like Civil War Cap - there's the "regular" and then the battle damaged - which in hand I have difficulty telling apart, after picking up a loose battle damaged - that's a thing$$$$$

And I'm more than happy to have duplicates IF there's enough to change up a look or display (Qui Gon, TWS Winter Soldier).
But sometimes like with Mando V1 - there were other reasons to get 2, for me. I might've gotten a second Mando V2 DX just 'coz it's an amazing set, and we all know HT can be pretty cheap about accessories and stands.:(

But I figured HT would release a shiny version, just based on upgrading Bucky's arm. It's a selling point. Since during Season 2 sometimes the armor looks glossy; and sometimes not, am more than happy to have V3 on the shelf. Plus I need the new thigh plate version.

Whether I get any more Mandos past V3 - since I think of the early versions as the classic look - well, dunno. Gotta limit the $$$$ somehow. Like, I might think of, say, a finale version of armor in shiny gunmetal as really cool (if that happens) but I may not think it's needed for a long term display, since I don't usually sell figs. But IMO with these llllllloooooonggggg delays not gonna worry about it or leap to PO.

When this get release there will be people asking how to get rid of fingers prints on the armor

I dont doubt it for one minute. My wonderment is reserved for the concept of people seriously into this hobby who DONT have a pair of white cotton gloves. Tres' handy. Its like not owning tweezers or needlenose pliers: boi you better make sure you do, or your life will be a misery

I dont doubt it for one minute. My wonderment is reserved for the concept of people seriously into this hobby who DONT have a pair of white cotton gloves. Tres' handy. Its like not owning tweezers or needlenose pliers: boi you better make sure you do, or your life will be a misery

Well, I don't worry about it. I take reasonable care but also mess with my figs when I feel like it. IMO if they can't take some handling then that's a problem I shouldn't be paying for. Tho I usually wash hands or use hand sanitizer (for the alcohol) to make sure there's no grease.

If folks don't wanna wear gloves or make sure they're not eating lunch with greasy fries working with figs, microfiber cleaning cloth will polish prints right off. A cheap pack of makeup brushes and some masking tape or those cheap fabric rollers to take lint off. Some of the fabrics HT uses are lint/hair magnets. :eek:

I use disposable glove when cleaning or modding the figures

Back