1/6 Hot Toys - TMS 023 - The Clone Wars: 501st Battalion Clone Trooper (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why haven't these damn clones sold out? I've just decided to get two more to complete my modest battalion. Used the tax coupon to get one, need to get another next month.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying another. I think I'm going with them standard though. All the extras are awesome, but do I really need to double down on all that gear? NGL either: it's getting harder not to PO Vaughn as well.

I've had similar thoughts. I thought 3 was good, but 4 is looking really good right now.

Thought this would be sold out by now, but thinking HT made a huge batch knowing people army build.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be buying another. I think I'm going with them standard though. All the extras are awesome, but do I really need to double down on all that gear? NGL either: it's getting harder not to PO Vaughn as well.

I feel the extra $30 is well worth all the different display options. I just wish they came with a better selection of hands.

I picked up a KO Cody head to use as a generic unhelmeted head sculpt - it seems a bit malformed and undersized to my eye (though I don’t have an original to compare it to) - but does the job well enough!

View attachment 556710

Do you mind saying where you got this head? Because I might have a use for one, one of these days and it'd be cool to experiment on. I doubt I would ever try to kitbash Crosshair, but a generic clone with the white hair and amber eyes might look pretty cool. I have Googled and I get zilch....

....WAIT I find plenty of stuff. Especially this guy on etsy who ships from the US. [I DETEST ordering from Chinese vendors, it takes eight years to get your stuff, if you even do.] OMG! He has all kinds of trooper heads in both 1/6 and 1/12 scale. [And helmets. And other gear. He has the big DC-15A rifle!] ] He has Howser, and also Gree who has nothin' but cool hair. Perfect? No but might just be made to work. One of my main obstacles to buying these generic clones was that they have no headsculpt. I could paint my own clone OCs now. OMG this is a disaster. Why did I look at this thread. I'm going to buy one of these and see how painting it goes.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/119901...8487&click_sum=00e10b22&ref=shop_home_recs_20

CRAP he has Wolffe! I -have- to try and paint Wolffe, its mandatory.

Kirman Wolffe.jpg

It's only $30 more for 2 additional helmets, a Z-6 rotary cannon, and a backpack but also value as the deluxe will be worth a lot more in the future than the standard.

Not that you'd probably sell it. I don't buy collectibles with the intention of selling them. But I do feel it's better to just get the deluxe while you can now at retail and have no regrets than look at prices in the future and feel like you could've gotten the deluxe for just $30 more back in the day.

And if you absolutely don't want the accessories, you can sell them for a lot more than $30.

I've had similar thoughts. I thought 3 was good, but 4 is looking really good right now.

Thought this would be sold out by now, but thinking HT made a huge batch knowing people army build.

I agree, I think they made a good amount expecting strong demand where people would buy more of it than usual.

But it also came out during a deluge of other Star Wars figures - especially troopers - so everything has been sticking around for a lot longer as people take more time to spread out their purchases.

I could paint my own clone OCs now.

Is this strictly hypothetical or is this a 14 chapter self insert fan fiction situation?

Last edited:
Is this strictly hypothetical or is this a 14 chapter self insert fan fiction situation?

No, what I'm saying is that if I bought a HT face-sculptless generic clone trooper, that now I could put a face on him and it would not necessarily have to be a named, known personality - but he could -have- a face. And pretty much, I could color it how I wanted as their hair and eye colors differ. I dont actually have a clone trooper OC, lol. [I detest fanfics, they are always so poorly written, and often written by people trying to paper over vast knowledge gaps in the source material.]

The paint job on this type of thing is the make or break point. Regardless of whether or not I actually use the heads, I will be painting both Howser and Wolffe, and I will post the results here. Just the bare printing can be really hard to evaluate; you really need paint.

I like my troopers with faces, and its really hard because so many of these helmets are interesting. For instance we have Echo, with a beautiful headsculpt and then he has one of the most interesting helmets in all of SW on top of that. USE WHICH ONE omg - I fought this same fight with Cody especially.

No, what I'm saying is that if I bought a HT face-sculptless generic clone trooper, that now I could put a face on him and it would not necessarily have to be a named, known personality - but he could -have- a face. And pretty much, I could color it how I wanted as their hair and eye colors differ. I dont actually have a clone trooper OC, lol. [I detest fanfics, they are always so poorly written, and often written by people trying to paper over vast knowledge gaps in the source material.]

The paint job on this type of thing is the make or break point. Regardless of whether or not I actually use the heads, I will be painting both Howser and Wolffe, and I will post the results here. Just the bare printing can be really hard to evaluate; you really need paint.

I like my troopers with faces, and its really hard because so many of these helmets are interesting. For instance we have Echo, with a beautiful headsculpt and then he has one of the most interesting helmets in all of SW on top of that. USE WHICH ONE omg - I fought this same fight with Cody especially.

I figured as much (no pun intended). You didn’t seem the type; just my first thought when I see OC. Wouldn’t judge if that was your thing. But I agree, some of those fan fics are really strange on top of being poorly written. :lol

I wish you luck on your endeavor. I understand what you’re going for, though it kind of feels a little bit like a loophole to allow yourself to buy generic troopers.

But these are great figures so I think whatever justification gets them into your collection is totally fine.

And it’s true that it’s hard to choose between using the sculpt or helmet with the Hot Toys Clones. I normally prefer helmeted but it’s a waste not to show the sculpts off. I’ve bought multiple figures to display both options.

It's only $30 more for 2 additional helmets, a Z-6 rotary cannon, and a backpack but also value as the deluxe will be worth a lot more in the future than the standard.

Not that you'd probably sell it. I don't buy collectibles with the intention of selling them. But I do feel it's better to just get the deluxe while you can now at retail and have no regrets than look at prices in the future and feel like you could've gotten the deluxe for just $30 more back in the day.

And if you absolutely don't want the accessories, you can sell them for a lot more than $30.

I agree, I think they made a good amount expecting strong demand where people would buy more of it than usual.

But it also came out during a deluge of other Star Wars figures - especially troopers - so everything has been sticking around for a lot longer as people take more time to spread out their purchases.

With many of these Hot Toys troopers they are so good I can't resist army building them. It's expensive but they just look so great in groups. For clones I decided to go all in on the 501st, definitely my favorite group of clones(and most people's favorite I imagine). I don’t plan on buying any of the other grunts, but I'm probably in for the more notorious commanders. No bad batch for me either.

Believe me, I dont WANT to collect TBB - but Echo is so gorgeous. Others will most likely follow, especially if Crosshair turns out well. We had BETTER be seeing him this May 4.

With many of these Hot Toys troopers they are so good I can't resist army building them. It's expensive but they just look so great in groups. For clones I decided to go all in on the 501st, definitely my favorite group of clones(and most people's favorite I imagine). I don’t plan on buying any of the other grunts, but I'm probably in for the more notorious commanders. No bad batch for me either.

It’s not easy finding the space to be an army builder at this scale, but there is something about seeing them en masse that really makes a statement.

I agree, the 501st is iconic and part of some of the best moments in Star Wars media.

I try to keep the army building relatively within reason most times, but my wife and I wanted no regrets with the 501st figures because of how important TCW and Siege of Mandalore are.

Last edited:
I have two deluxe and was thinking about getting 8 more. Sideshow limits 6 of them per account.

I wasn't expecting a huge jump to 8 more lol

You wouldn't get any 212th grunts?

I think I'd limit myself to 2 grunts per legion, 501st is different, as you and others have said. They also have such a strong supporting cast with Anakin, Ahsoka and Rex all looking good with them, Jesse and Vaughn will only strengthen the display.

I only have two but have been thinking about getting a third. I wonder about future value once it sells out, you'd assume it'll go up, but has anyone skipped getting these totally at this point? If I get three that'll feel extravagant but I remember people ordering 6+ of these when they first went up.

These are the kinds of things I bet Hot Toys keeps making to sell to Sideshow. They're using mostly the same molds for the captains. If Sideshow kept them in stock as long as every Captain was selling, they'd keep them coming.

I wasn't expecting a huge jump to 8 more lol

You wouldn't get any 212th grunts?

I think I'd limit myself to 2 grunts per legion, 501st is different, as you and others have said. They also have such a strong supporting cast with Anakin, Ahsoka and Rex all looking good with them, Jesse and Vaughn will only strengthen the display.

I have Cody so maybe if they make that beehive trooper with a standard grunt but I'll try to resist. The game changer would be that CW Kenobi. The deal I have made with myself is that I have to skip the others because I'm going to have eight 501st grunts plus Rex the other characters you mentioned. Number seven arrives tomorrow. I'm going to skip Vaughn I think.

I'm hoping for a final setup of Rex, Anakin, Ahsoka, ARC Jesse, ARC Fives, and ARC Echo in front of the grunts.

I have Cody so maybe if they make that beehive trooper with a standard grunt but I'll try to resist. The game changer would be that CW Kenobi. The deal I have made with myself is that I have to skip the others because I'm going to have eight 501st grunts plus Rex the other characters you mentioned. Number seven arrives tomorrow. I'm going to skip Vaughn I think.

I'm hoping for a final setup of Rex, Anakin, Ahsoka, ARC Jesse, ARC Fives, and ARC Echo in front of the grunts.

My ideal 212th is something similar, 2 grunts with 1 beehive to stand out.

I think TCW Kenobi is a big game changer for many collectors, not just for clones, but for TCW Anakin.

Your 501st clone army is going to be glorious, you must be very proud.

7367a3c84583bd5dd05cff86a6b8fc3cc5c65da3.gifv

I only have two but have been thinking about getting a third. I wonder about future value once it sells out, you'd assume it'll go up, but has anyone skipped getting these totally at this point? If I get three that'll feel extravagant but I remember people ordering 6+ of these when they first went up.

These are the kinds of things I bet Hot Toys keeps making to sell to Sideshow. They're using mostly the same molds for the captains. If Sideshow kept them in stock as long as every Captain was selling, they'd keep them coming.

With limited production capability and resources, they have to move on eventually. Otherwise we’ll never get different troopers represented.

I’m not trying to be an enabler for the sake of being an enabler, but you should get it if you’re thinking about it. Better to have it than regret it.

Because they will definitely go up in price after selling out. Everything desirable does. And there’s always going to be a market out there with these troopers. People who regretted not getting more, who passed initially but changed their minds, people getting into the hobby late, etc.

So best to get it at retail while you can. The Deluxe has already pretty much dried up everywhere outside of Sideshow.

Back