Hot Toys - The Mandalorian - Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike Set + The Child

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good analysis, endo. When everyone said "parachute material" I was glad but this has a super fine fabric backing and a coating of some kind on the outside if you look at it very closely.

I've pulled everything apart to convert it to a ROTJ whiter scout, so I've even put some acrylic paint on the gaiters to whiten them up a bit. The paint seems to have stayed on well, though I've found in the past that pleather doesn't like paint too much. It doesn't get sticky, but sometimes a little shiny. This seems okay for now.

Good analysis, endo. When everyone said "parachute material" I was glad but this has a super fine fabric backing and a coating of some kind on the outside if you look at it very closely.

I've pulled everything apart to convert it to a ROTJ whiter scout, so I've even put some acrylic paint on the gaiters to whiten them up a bit. The paint seems to have stayed on well, though I've found in the past that pleather doesn't like paint too much. It doesn't get sticky, but sometimes a little shiny. This seems okay for now.
Thanks Tali, I look forward to seeing your custom work on the conversion!

I agree with you, after opening up the upper boot, it is a soft and thin, woven synthetic gauze, with very low thread count. The thicker coated face provides most of the structure and hand feel. Not really a classic pu coated poly/nylon and more like a... neo-micro pleather? Lol

It's quite reasonable to believe that HT works directly with the local textile mills in China to create the proprietary scale fabrics for their production. All the complex patterning, texturing, and custom dyed processes are quite unique.

Last edited:
Without having it in hand, this feels like a culmination of their experiments with textiles coated with more durable materials they've been doing on various figures for a while now. Like their superhero suits, which seem to have held up pretty well so far.

It seemed like they've been trying to move away from the older style faux leather and rubber. Which other companies have been doing as well, like Asmus developing their own type of synthetic leather.

So hopefully they're moving in this direction because they've found it to be more durable and long lasting without adding to cost.

The older materials have been particularly vulnerable to tropical climates, where a good portion of their customer base resides. I'm sure that's been incentive enough to do better.
I share the same concerns and sure hope they've dialed in the formulations on these new synthetics.

Take a look and let us know what you think. As @Asta and @TaliBane mentioned, take a peek on the inside as well. 👍

I wrote about an issue with customs tax on my Scout delivery from Sideshow.

In short:

1. I paid for the entire figure with reward points, so the only cash transaction was for the shipping.

Under UK tax laws no tax should be liable for a free item.

2. However, DHL charged me tax (plus their usual admin fee) on the full retail amount.

I queried this with DHL, who eventually replied to say that they had in fact charged correctly based on Sideshow paperwork.

3. I contacted Sideshow, who supplied me with a copy of the paperwork they supplied to DHL.

It clearly showed both the discounted amount ($0) as well as the retail amount which they say has to be included by law.

The CSR explained that it's up to DHL which figure they choose to calculate for any tax.

However, it would be fraudulent for them to opt for the retail amount, unless it was done accidentally, since it's an easy money maker for them.

4. With Sideshow's evidence I got back to DHL and demanded a full refund.

It's taken nine days to get a response, but this morning I received an email.

Thank you for contacting DHL, and we apologise for the delay in responding to your email.

We have raised a dispute as requested with the reference no: ........

Dispute will be resolved at the earliest.

So it drags on, but at least something's happening.

FedEx did this to me on a number of occasions, and in all but one sent refunds. Seems to me this is how they pad their income, since even if they are forwarding the tax to HMRC they're earning £11 in admin fees each time.

In short:

1. I paid for the entire figure with reward points, so the only cash transaction was for the shipping.

2. However, DHL charged me tax (plus their usual admin fee) on the full retail amount.

I queried this with DHL, who eventually replied to say that they had in fact charged correctly based on Sideshow paperwork.

3. I contacted Sideshow, who supplied me with a copy of the paperwork they supplied to DHL.

It clearly showed both the discounted amount ($0) as well as the retail amount which they say has to be included by law.

The CSR explained that it's up to DHL which figure they choose to calculate for any tax.

However, it would be fraudulent for them to opt for the retail amount, unless it was done accidentally, since it's an easy money maker for them.

FedEx did this to me on a number of occasions, and in all but one sent refunds. Seems to me this is how they pad their income, since even if they are forwarding the tax to HMRC they're earning £11 in admin fees each time.

Stuff like this is why I buy from UK retailers. The wait is long but this all reads like a massive pain in the backside. I hope it gets sorted mate.

In short:

Courier companies and their "high" quality services. Hope it gets solved for you and get the money back.

UPS had to deliver me a small package I ordered from Amazon Germany, and they tell me I need to update my address. No ****, that is my address and I use it on Amazon for decades, but UPS wants another address. What about somewhere the sun doesn't shine?

Courier companies and their "high" quality services. Hope it gets solved for you and get the money back.

UPS had to deliver me a small package I ordered from Amazon Germany, and they tell me I need to update my address. No ****, that is my address and I use it on Amazon for decades, but UPS wants another address. What about somewhere the sun doesn't shine?

Thanks.

FedEx used to put up a fight about refunds on deliveries from Sideshow. I expect they get away with it a lot of the time because not everyone understands how tax works in their area, especially if they're not buying from abroad frequently. And if they do complain, it's a long process where the courier tries to put you off.

I feel DHL were deliberately economical with the truth the first time, but the evidence from Sideshow caught them out.

Thanks.

FedEx used to put up a fight about refunds on deliveries from Sideshow. I expect they get away with it a lot of the time because not everyone understands how tax works in their area, especially if they're not buying from abroad frequently. And if they do complain, it's a long process where the courier tries to put you off.

I feel DHL were deliberately economical with the truth the first time, but the evidence from Sideshow caught them out.
This is the reason I try to avoid ordering from directly Sideshow anymore. I believe my last order from them directly was the HT Spacetrooper years ago. I still had $16 in points in my account, they could shove it, though I believe those points are gone now with the new SSC strategy. Anyway I always paid a lot more by ordering from SSC than from my regular EU distributor shop. Plus the hassle with various couriers and their "friendly" customer policies. The price of collecting is high as it is already. No more.

This is the reason I try to avoid ordering from directly Sideshow anymore. I believe my last order from them directly was the HT Spacetrooper years ago. I still had $16 in points in my account, they could shove it, though I believe those points are gone now with the new SSC strategy. Anyway I always paid a lot more by ordering from SSC than from my regular EU distributor shop. Plus the hassle with various couriers and their "friendly" customer policies. The price of collecting is high as it is already. No more.

I'm using them to get 'free' figures with reward points. Still have to pay shipping, but that's all I was expecting to pay.

Since using points on the Scout I've amassed enough rewards through their events for another free figure. There's got to be a flaw in Sideshow's system because I'm not even spending money with them beyond the shipping. :unsure:

I'm satisfied with DHL. They charge custons fee based on paid amount rather than full amount.

I thought that they would just take the scout in his single figure box and package him with another box holding the speeder and grogu....but to see a custom box insert I got pretty excited. This is my first vehicle since the Bat Pod way back in like 2012--The Nevarro black sand bases are gonna be awesome!

Excellent question @endo1 --I saw someone here put it in a detolf, but it looked like it was launching into space at an angle. Need to get creative. But having it in hand will be outstanding. Do you already have this one? or is it on the way for you?

I remember hearing that someone squeezed it into a Detolf, lol 😆

It'll def take some creativity to display this and the Mando swoop. I'm not fully prepared for that yet. I'll need to pickup another display cab soon. 😉

Back