Hot Toys - The Mandalorian - Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike Set + The Child

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All in on Mando so got my pair of these cracked open. Really nice set. A few nits though...

The hand selection leaves a lot to be desired, there is no hand included to hold a regular type blaster/rifle. The weathering on the white part of the bike is nice, but the Sideshow bike surprisingly has better weathering overall. The seat especially is lacking, just smooth black plastic with no weathering or texture to give it a leather type appearance. The articulation of the scout figure is not as good as I had initially hoped and I worry a little about how the material of the boots will hold up long term.

The durability of the bike itself feels much more sturdy than the Sideshow and it cannot be understated how easy this set was to assemble compared to the Sideshow. Unboxing this was like a breath of fresh air.
Yeah a few people have described it as "parachute type material" but if you look really closely it does appear instead to be a very thin pleather, which is concerning for the longer haul.

Yeah a few people have described it as "parachute type material" but if you look really closely it does appear instead to be a very thin pleather, which is concerning for the longer haul.

I honestly don't even know how to describe it. I don't feel like it will flake like pleather but I almost feel like it could become brittle and crack over time.

I honestly don't even know how to describe it. I don't feel like it will flake like pleather but I almost feel like it could become brittle and crack over time.
Is it similar to Tarkin boots? I'm wondering if using some conditioner could stop this. Or maybe if damaged in time, can they be repainted? I don't have this Scout, I only hope the ROTJ will come with better boots, but I doubt it

Yes, it's an indescribable material. Like a crinkly plastic, or a thin vinyl. Looks great, but not very reassuring.

If the worst happens my back up plan would be Sideshow's boots. Their figure came with a second pair in action poses, so they could be swapped around and given a sandy dry brush. Though I hope it never comes to that.

Yes, it's an indescribable material. Like a crinkly plastic, or a thin vinyl. Looks great, but not very reassuring.

If the worst happens my back up plan would be Sideshow's boots. Their figure came with a second pair in action poses, so they could be swapped around and given a sandy dry brush. Though I hope it never comes to that.
That's is not a bad idea to use the SSC Scout. As I was thinking of maybe keeping it. We'll see.

Mine is shipping soon so I’ll take a look at the material. Putting a plastic/vinyl protectant will probably help, but it doesn’t sound like straight vinyl as well.

It seems like Hot Toys is taking steps to address pleather flaking concerns with a more durable artificial material.

I wonder if it’s a similar type of material to Solo Maul’s outfit, which people reported was not pleather as feared.

Last edited:
Mine is shipping soon so I’ll take a look at the material. Putting a plastic/vinyl protectant will probably help, but it doesn’t sound like straight vinyl as well.

It seems like Hot Toys is taking steps to address pleather flaking concerns with a more durable artificial material.

I wonder if it’s a similar type of material to Solo Maul’s outfit, which people reported was not pleather as feared.

It's not really like Maul. His was like a rubbery substance sprayed onto a fabric backing.

I just looked again at my Scout, and felt the material trying to imagine it what it could be. Then it hit me: it's like latex. A thin rubber like an un-inflated balloon.

I haven't undone them to see what they're like inside.

It's not really like Maul. His was like a rubbery substance sprayed onto a fabric backing.

I just looked again at my Scout, and felt the material trying to imagine it what it could be. Then it hit me: it's like latex. A thin rubber like an un-inflated balloon.

Interesting. In pictures it seems to drape a bit differently than pleather and vinyl, and looks really thin. Thinner than Hot Toys pleather usually is.

Latex is not usually used by Hot Toys for such applications, but it could also be a really thin plastic with a similar feel, which I would be okay with.

I would personally prefer all pleather to be replaced with plastic or textile with the simulated texture, along with more plastics for things like holsters and pouches to increase long term durability even if it diminishes the feel a little.

Interesting. In pictures it seems to drape a bit differently than pleather and vinyl, and looks really thin. Thinner than Hot Toys pleather usually is.

Latex is not usually used by Hot Toys for such applications, but it could also be a really thin plastic with a similar feel, which I would be okay with.

I would personally prefer all pleather to be replaced with plastic or textile with the simulated texture, along with more plastics for things like holsters and pouches to increase long term durability even if it diminishes the feel a little.

I actually usually prefer sculpted boots, not only for longevity, but because they can be more realistic if they're sculpted and painted well enough.

The only downside is articulation, unless they're split at the ankle.

I really hope it isn't latex based as usually latex doesn't last long. I like the idea of flexible feet/boots, but in the end I prefer fixed boots that last longer to a mobile/jointed foot.

I actually usually prefer sculpted boots, not only for longevity, but because they can be more realistic if they're sculpted and painted well enough.

The only downside is articulation, unless they're split at the ankle.
Yeah, same. Articulation is important, but worthless if the figure is disintegrating.

They seem to be using different types of artificial materials for some figures that are not easy to identify.

Hopefully it means they’re working on materials that last longer.

Yeah, same. Articulation is important, but worthless if the figure is disintegrating.

They seem to be using different types of artificial materials for some figures that are not easy to identify.

Hopefully it means they’re working on materials that last longer.
Hopefully they do indeed. The SSC Scout boots are quite ok, as they are sculpted

I really hope it isn't latex based as usually latex doesn't last long. I like the idea of flexible feet/boots, but in the end I prefer fixed boots that last longer to a mobile/jointed foot.

It's just really hard to work out what they're made of.

They feel rubbery like an un-inflated balloon, but when I just undid them to look inside, MyenShi might be right after all.

It's a white material with a pattern of dots like fabric. But it's so thin, much thinner than Maul's robes, and much smoother on the outside.

It's just really hard to work out what they're made of.

They feel rubbery like an un-inflated balloon, but when I just undid them to look inside, MyenShi might be right after all.

It's a white material with a pattern of dots like fabric. But it's so thin, much thinner than Maul's robes, and much smoother on the outside.
Okay, if that’s the case then we should be glad as there’s at least a chance it’ll last longer than pleather if it’s what they’ve cooked up to replace it.

If it works out, seems like this method could be what they’re going to use in lieu of pleather moving forward; the textile material with a printed/simulated outer texture.

Now it’s weird and funny that I’m most looking forward to seeing the boots in this big new trooper and bike set.

I personally don't think it's latex but it does have that sort of feel. I don't remember ever handling a material quite like this. I don't know wtf it is :lol

I personally don't think it's latex but it does have that sort of feel. I don't remember ever handling a material quite like this. I don't know wtf it is :lol

As long as it's not like the time Obi-Wan invented the wonder material for suits, only to discover that it begins to fall apart as the chemical structure of the fibre breaks down with time.

:horror

tumblr_n37duitH3k1ql2w65o3_250.gifv

(The Man in the White Suit, 1951).

After examining the Scout Troopers boots, I've come to the conclusion that they used a PU coated polyester or nylon fabric. Polyester is a cheaper textile, so it's possible this was used over a nylon based fabric?

If you want to know more about this textile, read up on PU (Polyurethane) coated nylon and polyester, it's widely used in the fashion and bag industry.

It is commonly produced in different weights, which can be interpreted by the thickness and influences the hand feel of the fabric. The size of the fibers (natural or synthetic) that make up the yarn used during production is determined by a unit of measurement know as denier. The larger the number of denier, the heavier the fabric, and a lower number of denier produces a lighter and softer fabric. These textiles are commonly produced with a denier of 30 to 1600.

The PU coating is normally used on one side of the fabric. Depending on the application in bag making and the outdoor product industry, the coating is often on the inside or backside of the fabric which also adds water resistant properties to backpacks, handbags, and a multitude of other recreational products.

In the case of the Scout Trooper, the coating is facing outward. The hand feel tells me it most likely a 30-50 denier.

Last edited:
After examining the Scout Troopers boots, I've come to the conclusion that they used a PU coated polyester or nylon fabric. Polyester is a cheaper textile, so it's possible this was used over a nylon based fabric?

If you want to know more about this textile, read up on PU (Polyurethane) coated nylon and polyester, it's widely used in the fashion and bag industry.

It is commonly produced in different weights, which can be interpreted by the thickness and influences the hand feel of the fabric. The size of the fibers (natural or synthetic) that make up the yarn used during production is detetmimed by a unit of measurement know as denier. The larger the number of denier, the heavier the fabric, and a lower number of denier produces a lighter and softer fabric. These textiles are commonly produced with a denier of 30 to 1600.

The PU coating is normally used on one side of the fabric. Depending on the application in bag making and the outdoor product industry, the coating is often on the inside or backside of the fabric which also adds water resistant properties to backpacks, handbags, and a multitude of other recreational products.

In the case of the Scout Trooper, the coating is facing outward. The hand feel tells me it most likely a 30-50 denier.

So, will it last?

:pray:

Well, that's the big question isn't it.

In the soft goods industry there are many different grades of processes used to produce these textiles. Some production requires it to meet higher standards that fit the manufacturers use case.

Such requirements as how will the textile be used, and what conditions will it be subject to will factor into cost. Does it need to stand up to UV exposure, moisture, heat? There's a wide range of textiles for a wide range of applications, from the inexpensive mass products to high end, critical use manufacturing like military applications.

Even though it's my educated option that in hand this boot fabric is familar, and so similar to PU poly/nylon, the truth is... it's still a mystery. And until HT tells us, we do not know it's origins or the coatings's chemical make up. There are the indicators, its flexable, thin, coated, and appears to be a woven synthetic material. We can make observations. It does feel like a cheaper process than more durable fabric made for the outdoor industry.

The rubbery coating is also indicative of a special use case that HT chose. And that's where I think the difference is from PU nylon, the quality of the coating.

While the textiles produced for the toy industry will not have the same standards as expensive, higher end productions. I don't believe that means it's a poor product for the intended purpose, but how many times before have we seen their stuff degrade from use. I would think HT finds textiles that fit their use case, but they've obviously had issues with degradation. I hope they've been doing better with their tex choices.

Good quality PU coated fabrics are generally stable if cared for properly. So, will this scout trooper boot fabric last? Sorry, I don't know. I can only speak in general terms. I'd need to know more specifics from the manufacturer to make that determination. I don't expect HT will release a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on this stuff any time soon.

With most of this stuff... Handle with care.

Last edited:
So, will it last?

:pray:

Well, that's the big question isn't it.

In the soft goods industry there are many different grades of processes used to produce these textiles. Some production requires it to meet higher standards that fit the manufacturers use case.

Such requirements as how will the textile be used, and what conditions will it be subject to will factor into cost. Does it need to stand up to UV exposure, moisture, heat? There's a wide range of textiles for a wide range of applications, from the inexpensive mass products to high end, critical use manufacturing like military applications.

Even though it's my educated option that in hand this boot fabric is familar, and so similar to PU poly/nylon, the truth is... it's still a mystery. And until HT tells us, we do not know it's origins or the coatings's chemical make up. There are the indicators, its flexable, thin, coated, and appears to be a woven synthetic material. We can make observations. It does feel like a cheaper process than more durable fabric made for the outdoor industry.

The rubbery coating is also indicative of a special use case that HT choose. And that's where I think the difference is from PU nylon, the quality of the coating.

While the textiles produced for the toy industry will not have the same standards as expensive, higher end productions. I don't believe that means it's a poor product for the intended purpose, but how many times before have we seen their stuff degrade from use. I would think HT finds textiles that fit their use case, but they've obviously had issues with degradation. I hope they've been doing better with their tex choices.

Good quality PU coated fabrics are generally stable if cared for properly. So, will this scout trooper boot fabric last? Sorry, I don't know. I can only speak in general terms. I'd need to know more specifics from the manufacturer to make that determination. I don't expect HT will release a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) on this stuff any time soon.

With most of this stuff... Handle with care.

Without having it in hand, this feels like a culmination of their experiments with textiles coated with more durable materials they've been doing on various figures for a while now. Like their superhero suits, which seem to have held up pretty well so far.

It seemed like they've been trying to move away from the older style faux leather and rubber. Which other companies have been doing as well, like Asmus developing their own type of synthetic leather.

So hopefully they're moving in this direction because they've found it to be more durable and long lasting without adding to cost.

The older materials have been particularly vulnerable to tropical climates, where a good portion of their customer base resides. I'm sure that's been incentive enough to do better.

Back