Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lens distortion on those hands in the last pic :horror

28158995_2149872331899047_1952928424129462272_n.jpg

Something I think would make the sculpt look a lot better is to paint some white in the eyes(or make it more pronounced). Hamill has a lot of white showing and the sculpt has hardly any. A little quick and dirty photoshop with the original on the left and some white added on the right. Unfortunately, I don't have the paint skills to attempt it

luke.jpg

Maybe right. I still think it looks much more like the character if it were highlighted more. I know eyes aren't stark white, but the color they used is too gray

Yeah I've always had a problem with how gray they make the whites of the eyes, since it can really hurt the likeness. I think one of the worst affected was probably ANH Luke, and after I repainted them the likeness did seem to improve a bit. The eyes on this figure don't seem too bad in hand though, so I can probably live with it.

Most white of the eyes is actually a bluish white,

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

New pose.

F8E923F7-807D-4F0B-A6B5-DC3472C8B4ED.jpg

“Point it at the deck!”

75C51012-BC15-4C53-A91C-CBB69D5506FC.jpeg

As I’ve mentioned before, this figure is one of those figures for me where it’s difficult to land on just one pose I like. He has several display combinations/options, and each time I watch clips of scenes from RotJ, I see a new pose that I want to try him out in.

I wish HT would go ahead and let us know if Endor version is a full figure or just accessory pack.

I really want to get this, but I want to display him with just the Final Fight scene look, and
everytime I look at the youtube reviews, it really bothers me that the body is too bulky. Hamill was sooo skiny in ROTJ.
I think it looks excellent when he's wearing the rest of the outfit, specially the cloak. So I feel, if I get this, I'm gonna be forced to go with that look.

Part of me wants to see if somehow, HT might improve the body if Endor ver is a full figure.
And if not, as much as the Sideshow version is probably gonna be fail, I almost want to wait and give it a try.

I just hope this doesnt sell out.

The only thing that makes this figure a bit bulky is the fat suit. And even then, the consensus is that it’s really just the midsection that is just a bit too bulky. Many people have either just removed the fat suit altogether, or just cut the midsection portion of the fat suit and presto, slimmer Luke. From what others have said, it’s relatively an easy mod. So I think it’s just a matter if HT includes the fat suit on the Endor figure or not.

However, you said that you want him posed in the DSII outfit from the final fight, and this figure doesn’t really give you many posing options with that because all it includes is a fisted free black gloved hand (unless you use the LED saber arm, which is a black gloved hand).

Presumably, an Endor version will include a full set of black gloved hands being that that’s all he had from that point of the film on. In my opinion, this release is probably better suited for a display from the first half of the film being that it includes the cloak and the Jedi tunic. Endor version will probably be better suited for the second half of the film. The base for this release includes a DS diorama background with interchangeable Jabba’s palace themed base cards, and I’m guessing the Endor version will probably use the same predicate DS base, but just include an interchangeable Endor themed base card in lieu of the Jabba’s Palace ones.

Even with the mods I've seen, I've yet to really see one where I thought I would be ok with it.
As I mentioned, with the tunic, cloak...the Jabba scene look, I think the figure looks incredible.
But I just know I eventually want to go with the Death Star look.

Currently, I have almost enough SS points to get a figure.
I've narrowed it down to IM mark 4 DC, 10th anniversary cap, or Luke.

I already have a tony stark and Mark 46 display, I have 2 captain America on display.
So it makes more sense to get Luke. But I just can't seem to pull the trigger.

However, you said that you want him posed in the DSII outfit from the final fight, and this figure doesn’t really give you many posing options with that because all it includes is a fisted free black gloved hand (unless you use the LED saber arm, which is a black gloved hand).

I finally received my figure last week and got him set up squaring of against Vader. I was only every really interested in the final duel look so I find the lack of a single gloved saber-holding hand VERY frustrating. Fortunately my light-up arm switched out fairly easily however the lack of articulation in that wrist severely limits posing options anyway (and the position of the hand on the saber prevents a double grip)!
In-hand, the fat suit doesn’t add as much bulk as I’d feared though.

Even with the mods I've seen, I've yet to really see one where I thought I would be ok with it.
As I mentioned, with the tunic, cloak...the Jabba scene look, I think the figure looks incredible.
But I just know I eventually want to go with the Death Star look.

Currently, I have almost enough SS points to get a figure.
I've narrowed it down to IM mark 4 DC, 10th anniversary cap, or Luke.

I already have a tony stark and Mark 46 display, I have 2 captain America on display.
So it makes more sense to get Luke. But I just can't seem to pull the trigger.

I’d pull the trigger. Like you said, there’s no telling if they’ll actually put an Endor Luke up for PO, how long until they do, and if they’ll use the fat suit again (which I’m guessing they probably will). In the time it takes for them to put that one up for PO (if they do), this one might sell out.

If you at least get this one, you’ll guarantee you have a RotJ Luke representation. If you don’t like it or they release an Endor version and you like that one better, you could just sell this one on.

Plus, you have to take into account the Endor Luke sculpt is boasting a different expression: the gritted teeth. Do you prefer full on gritted teeth Luke, or a bit more of a relaxed look? If that matters to you at all.

I finally received my figure last week and got him set up squaring of against Vader. I was only every really interested in the final duel look so I find the lack of a single gloved saber-holding hand VERY frustrating. Fortunately my light-up arm switched out fairly easily however the lack of articulation in that wrist severely limits posing options anyway (and the position of the hand on the saber prevents a double grip)!
In-hand, the fat suit doesn’t add as much bulk as I’d feared though.

Yeah, when I first PO’d this figure, I always had the intention of having him in the DSII outfit, wielding his lightsaber. When I received it, I went straight to that look and swapped in the LED saber arm and like you said, found the lack of articulation in the hand to be a hinderance. So I swapped the regular arm back in and put his tunic back on, and haven’t gone back.

Regardless of the lack of gloved hands or not, I actually like him better with his tunic on. It kind of gives the figure something more to look at outfit wise as opposed to an all black suit. I also think it better lends to the evolution of Luke Skywalker, being that I think the tunic on symbolizes his Jedi Knight status better than the DSII outfit. When he first powered up his saber and starting mowing Jabba’s guards down, it was that moment you realized Luke Skywalker was now legit. At least for me it was.

And like you said regarding the fat suit, it actually isn’t that bad in hand. I feared it would look too bulky as well, and even though it’s slightly bulky in the midsection, it’s only really noticeable without the tunic on. Even then, it’s really not all that bad. With the tunic or cloak on though, it looks completely fine to me.

Well the Popcutcha Luke delay just got more interesting as I just got shipping confirmation from them for Deluxe Boba Fett. This is really strange as to what the delay is for this figure.

Back