Hot Toys - MMS173 - Predator 2: 1/6th scale City Hunter Predator Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
odd that you post this - i have that exact 2-sided theatrical poster framed and my city hunter set up like that. i bought an extra left hand closed fist off ebay and cut the vertebrae into sections, gluing it all together and repainting to resemble the poster. learned some things doing it, and not totally happy with it, but it's the closest i think you can get.

That’s sounds really cool. I agree with OM1D, it’d be appreciated if you could share some pictures of that.

53464743_1219046201584456_5770731399074021376_o.jpg

Stunning. Always liked the ethnic and unwonted look of the City Hunter and I regret selling mine off.

Those wrist gauntlets should have been removable.

KIMG0665.jpg[RESIZE]KIMG0664.jpg[/RESIZE]
also did a minor repaint of the helmet/armor, hands/feet. thanks for the interest! again, not happy with the position of the spine, but worked with what I had screwed up.

Nice! That looks awesome. Love the repaint of the bio-mask. What hand did you use for him to hold the spine? I don’t believe he comes with any hands that enables him to hold the spine in his left hand.

thank you, sir! it's just the closed fist hand. i was inspired by the interest here to track down another skull/spine and try a second time to get it right. initially wanted to run fishing line through the vertebrae to give it a natural hang, but the plastic was unexpectedly sturdy. we'll see if I don't have the patience to get it right a second time. :)

Ah ok, right on. It (the spine) looks pretty good to me. :clap

I’d like to be able to put mine in a pose similar to yours based on that film poster, but like I mentioned, the figure lacks a left hand that’s suitable for grasping the spine, so I just settled on this:

0BF792F5-AE29-4795-8B71-B1E3420D7D0A.jpg

Which is intended to be based on this screen grab from the film:

65C17D1C-5C22-46DE-BF76-39268237427F.jpeg

Hopefully one of these days I can snare at least a custom bio-mask for him. Plasmacaster would be a nice addition, but I’m not the biggest fan of the design of CH’s plasmacaster, so I’m not sure if I’d even have it out anyway.

View attachment 448498[RESIZE]View attachment 448499[/RESIZE]
also did a minor repaint of the helmet/armor, hands/feet. thanks for the interest! again, not happy with the position of the spine, but worked with what I had screwed up.

Brilliant idea and execution. Did you use the closed hand/fist with the thumb sticking out? The 2.0 versions of these SW originals all seem to have the thumb sticking out... Any pics from the connection points? I might try my hand at this.

Brilliant idea and execution. Did you use the closed hand/fist with the thumb sticking out? The 2.0 versions of these SW originals all seem to have the thumb sticking out... Any pics from the connection points? I might try my hand at this.

thanks for the kind words, guys. the movie poster, THAT screen grab, and when he's trying to get his cloaking to work under the sprinklers in the slaughterhouse are probably my three favorite poses for this guy.

yes, it is the fist with the thumb sticking out. there's not much to show with where the spine comes out of either side of his hand - i just used a sloppy amount of gel superglue and then disguised it with a couple different shades of the same gloss crimson color (using a little navy blue mixed in different amounts) for gore. repainted the skull itself, too - there was more bone showing under the blood grime in the movie than what ht did. if you do get around to it, please share your results! it stinks to have to sacrifice a fist to do it, i checked ebay - only one set of city hunter hands with the fist, and of course it's a little pricey.

I didn't mean it in terms of preference or accuracy. Rather, for it to be grabbing a spine/or hair (King Willie), I think a closed fist would seem more realistic.

I didn't mean it in terms of preference or accuracy. Rather, for it to be grabbing a spine/or hair (King Willie), I think a closed fist would seem more realistic.

but predators cannot close fists because of claws :lecture
anyway, if i have to be serious - look how he holds the spear in the same scene:

q6ehgeD.jpg

so "realistic" for a predator means "unrealistic" for a human.

(this reminds me of a recent 1/4 T2 statue with a minigun, where people said that "realistic" body position is better than an intentionally inconvenient for a human, but actually used in the movie)

"thumbs out" is a KPH hallmark. That simple revision was a big step toward accuracy.
not only thumbs but all fingers. i slightly doubt it was intentionally a KPH hallmark because it seemed to be impossible (or rather inconvenient) to do any other way not only because of the claws, but also because KPH fingertips might end earlier than the suit glove's fingertips. like on original alien hands.
i thought X-legs (walking with knees looking inside) was a KPH mark as well, but now i also think that the suit probably didn't allow it to look another way as well.

update to both parts: looks like the thumb could be bent, so "thumbs out" definitely was a special feature by KPH, like ridetofight said. though the only examples i found were outside the movie, but they definitely show the thumbs can be bent.

8jXN4Vn.jpg

tGQYLq7.jpg

(thanks to Moguchiy_H for the last photo, i've never seen it before or later)

(it also shows the X-legs i mentioned, they are best visible during his walk with King Willie's head in the movie)

sorry i'm shutting up and taking my antiblabbingaboutpredators pill
1bw3K3E.gif

HGOUu5p.jpg

Ah ok, right on. It (the spine) looks pretty good to me. :clap

I?d like to be able to put mine in a pose similar to yours based on that film poster, but like I mentioned, the figure lacks a left hand that?s suitable for grasping the spine, so I just settled on this:

View attachment 448533

Which is intended to be based on this screen grab from the film:

View attachment 448534

Hopefully one of these days I can snare at least a custom bio-mask for him. Plasmacaster would be a nice addition, but I?m not the biggest fan of the design of CH?s plasmacaster, so I?m not sure if I?d even have it out anyway.

Thanks for that picture, i could finally get my city hunter in a pose that gives me that predator 2 vibe

but predators cannot close fists because of claws :lecture
anyway, if i have to be serious - look how he holds the spear in the same scene:

q6ehgeD.jpg

so "realistic" for a predator means "unrealistic" for a human.

(this reminds me of a recent 1/4 T2 statue with a minigun, where people said that "realistic" body position is better than an intentionally inconvenient for a human, but actually used in the movie)

not only thumbs but all fingers. i slightly doubt it was intentionally a KPH hallmark because it seemed to be impossible (or rather inconvenient) to do any other way not only because of the claws, but also because KPH fingertips might end earlier than the suit glove's fingertips. like on original alien hands.
i thought X-legs (walking with knees looking inside) was a KPH mark as well, but now i also think that the suit probably didn't allow it to look another way as well.

update to both parts: looks like the thumb could be bent, so "thumbs out" definitely was a special feature by KPH, like ridetofight said. though the only examples i found were outside the movie, but they definitely show the thumbs can be bent.

8jXN4Vn.jpg

tGQYLq7.jpg

(thanks to Moguchiy_H for the last photo, i've never seen it before or later)

(it also shows the X-legs i mentioned, they are best visible during his walk with King Willie's head in the movie)

sorry i'm shutting up and taking my antiblabbingaboutpredators pill
1bw3K3E.gif

HGOUu5p.jpg
Is this picture of the City Hunter standing near the trash bins from the movie?

Is this picture of the City Hunter standing near the trash bins from the movie?

It's not a still from the movie and not used for anything promotional, but it is from the set of the film - behind the scenes, if you will.

Great point about the when he makes the fists P., I don't think he could curl those claws with how long they are. I can't tell if he has them curled when he has the thumb tucked. At first I wondered if the dumpster pic or the magazine fold out could be someone besides kph - like a stunt man for the dumpster or a stand in for the fold out, but the dumpster pic looks about the right height and the magazinge pic's costume looks too detailed and refined to be a stunt suit.
Regardless, it does seem that in the film, he's always thumb out and fingers flat.
IIRC, Ian Whyte did a good job of mimicking a lot of the details of kph's performances in requiem, including the hands. Wolf and his performance stand out to me as being a shining part of an otherwise dismal film. I really appreciate the effort he put into duplicating kph, made Wolf seem a lot more authentic. It's the little things, there's nothing bigger.

Back