1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Qui-Gon Jinn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I think the pose captures the character quite well. The tunic was already slightly stained straight out of the box so I did give it a good rinse under some warm water. Hardly any dye came out though, maybe I should have washed it properly. I might give it another go just to be sure.

I like that pose. So simple but powerful.

Question though, with that robe on like that, is it necessary to wash it to prevent it from color dye bleeding?

If so, is it as simple as soaking it in warm soapy water?

Thanks!

I haven't but i would use a small amount of soap and cold water, rinse, rinse, air dry.

I feel like I read several months ago on here that the best method was; warm soapy water wash, rinse, cold water wash, rinse, hang to dry.

Something about how the combination of the two washes out excess dye and subsequently sets any remaining dye.

Could be mistaken, but I don't know seems safe enough to try.

Is staining really all that common of an issue? I had the cloak on Qui Gon since November and had no issues. I also had the cloak on Obi Wan for well over a year too.

Is staining really all that common of an issue? I had the cloak on Qui Gon since November and had no issues. I also had the cloak on Obi Wan for well over a year too.

I have always felt this way too, but I can confirm that I had staining on a ROTJ HT Luke sculpt. I was able to get it removed with zit cream and a hair dryer:lol

I have always felt this way too, but I can confirm that I had staining on a ROTJ HT Luke sculpt. I was able to get it removed with zit cream and a hair dryer:lol

That's interesting. I have a mystery black mark on one the Luke hands. It was in the box, don't even know how it got on there. I have been trying the Starboard scarf trick. But doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps contact to the surface is not so good.

How does the zit cream and hairdryer method work ?

That's interesting. I have a mystery black mark on one the Luke hands. It was in the box, don't even know how it got on there. I have been trying the Starboard scarf trick. But doesn't seem to be working. Perhaps contact to the surface is not so good.

How does the zit cream and hairdryer method work ?

Heat the stain a bit, thinly apply the zit cream, wait an hour or more for it to completely dry on the surface, really heat it up again and finally wipe the dried zit cream off with gauze after wait another hour or so.

It's a ridiculous process and I had to do it over and over many times to completely remove a stain. I gradually saw results as the stain got lighter and lighter before it finally was gone.

Darn wish I got a 17% discount for Qui-gon.
You know, I once got a 10% random code for a HT Neo. Never saved the code and held it in my basket for a few minutes. When I hade done a few things and proceeded to check-out, the darn code was gone. Contacted Sideshow which did not help. The figure hit waitlist like a week after this. Never bought it, sadly.

So I’ve soaked the cloak in warm water and there was no excess dye that came off. Did anybody use anything diluted with water?

I'm sure any mild clothes soap is good, but I used some very gentle stuff. Soak and kneed it in the water until the water turns brown. Swapped the water and repeated until I could rinse the robe in the water without it changing color. I then do a fresh batch of water with a little bit of plain white vinegar mixed in, kneed the robe again, and let it sit for a bit before giving it a good rinse with fresh water. I'd recommend using filtered water and make sure to be careful with the wires in the robes; let it dry completely and thoroughly.

This is what my Jedi Luke robe water looked like

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_130950.jpg
    IMG_20210629_130950.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 59
Soak and kneed it in the water until the water turns brown. Swapped the water and repeated until I could rinse the robe in the water without it changing color. I then do a fresh batch of water with a little bit of plain white vinegar mixed in, kneed the robe again, and let it sit for a bit before giving it a good rinse with fresh water.
Would using your hands be more effective or do you need the extra power from your knees?

Sorry, I had to. :lol Knead vs kneed; the image of someone using their knees to Muay Thai knee strike the excess dye out of a 1/6 scale robe was really funny.

Solid advice all around though.

Last edited:
Wish my waitlist converted for this. I’ve yet to have even one waitlist item convert.

Back