Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look old to me, other than the horns being larger, and the right side of his face roughed up, I see little difference between them, not like he has crazy wrinkles and things that would be signs of age. I think it's more the psychological aspect of knowing he was quite older in Solo.

Doesn't look old to me, other than the horns being larger, and the right side of his face roughed up, I see little difference between them, not like he has crazy wrinkles and things that would be signs of age. I think it's more the psychological aspect of knowing he was quite older in Solo.

He definitely looks older to me. Good work on Hot toys side.
58d23a9e79caf71470de65446fc04aa0.jpg

I'll take the DX16/17 sculpt over the solo Maul any day. The Solo Maul looks nothing like he did in EPI and wouldn't be a very good representation of the character in my opinion. Makes no sense to do a head swap at all. It's like taking Luke's head from the TLJ Crait figure and putting it on his ROTJ Jedi body/outfit....

Why?

If you think it looks cool, great. But don't try to sell it as a superior look.

Yep. DX18 looks old indeed. Maybe not wrinkly but more saggy. The skin already drop, hence looks more fat and not as tight as the DX16.

Not that I don't like them both because I do and I have DX16 here and DX18 on preorder. I even like the Clone wars version for as I think it's a great depiction for Maul from that show. So maybe I'll end up having them all [emoji846]

Yeah have to agree the new sculpt just looks far too old for a TPM Maul. Unfortunately it does really highlight just how off the likeness on that first Maul really is. I was happy enough with the figure before, as a sort of "representation" of the character, but now I'm really wishing they had tried a bit harder with it.

@MaulFan --yeah it really does look nice. I just took some comparison shots of both heads. Not to slam the previous sculptors for the DX16/17 but it just feels like there was more time put into the Solo sculpt...the scarring, the specular paint used for the skin, the overall colors. The red on the Solo version immediately pops and makes the original DX head feel a little unfinished/incomplete. take a look:

View attachment 499650
View attachment 499651
View attachment 499652

Is the ear on the Solo one attached to the head on the bottom? Is that a production error or they all like that?

[...]I was happy enough with the figure before, as a sort of "representation" of the character, but now I'm really wishing they had tried a bit harder with it.

I guess I'm blinded by the red and black pattern, I can't see the inaccuracy. Also haven't seen a side-by-side though ... :confused:

Nice posing:clap That new Maul sculpt looks great there...

Thanks Matrix and Cicada! He is much easier to pose than the Solo version, but man that cloak is tough without a wire in the hood. It always wants to fall, despite his horns stabbing the inside of the hood. I also had to use the old school oval bases with the crotch support backward to support his crouching stance.

I'm currently in the process of overhauling my Maul. I removed the fatsuit, extended the neck (using the matrix69 method of extending it at the base of the neck), and I'm currently in the middle of repainting the sculpt.
The new Solo Maul sculpt is just way too distinctly not TPM for me, and I'm looking for a proper TPM representation. I brightened the red up so far, not sure yet if it's where I want it to be. Will have to check it out with daylight. Some feedback on the red tone would be appreciated as well. :)
I'd love to get the pupils smaller as well, but with the moving eyes it's too risky for me.

Here's a comparison shot with the untouched open mouth sculpt, and a shot on the body for a full view.

IMG_4440_2_small.jpg

IMG_4458_2.jpg

The new DX18 head has a lot more variation that I thought. It's not ideal for TPM Maul... and I'm looking forward to your improvements.

Meantime, here's a couple comparisons between DX17 and DX18...

View attachment 501609

View attachment 501610

I still prefer the TPM Maul sculpt over the Solo sculpt. Whether it looks like Maul (or rather Rey Park) or not.. The texturing to the face is cool, but it was there in Solo and in the promo pics. Maul in TPM's face was smooth and not textured.

Don't really understand all the comparisons. Maul is 22 years older in Solo. Plus he went through some ****. So of course he aged a bit.. Don't know why anyone would want to put the Solo head on the TPM figure..

I don't see anyone wanting to put an OT Luke head on an ST Luke body because they like the sculpt better. Or Han or Leia for that matter.... :dunno

Old lady Leia would look hot in that sexy white see through dress...:rotfl Can you say MILF??? :monkey3

The new DX18 head has a lot more variation that I thought. It's not ideal for TPM Maul... and I'm looking forward to your improvements.

Thanks, and thanks for those comparisons. I'll be off for two weeks over Christmas, so I'll surely finish him during that time.

I still prefer the TPM Maul sculpt over the Solo sculpt. Whether it looks like Maul (or rather Rey Park) or not.. The texturing to the face is cool, but it was there in Solo and in the promo pics. Maul in TPM's face was smooth and not textured.

Don't really understand all the comparisons. Maul is 22 years older in Solo. Plus he went through some ****. So of course he aged a bit.. Don't know why anyone would want to put the Solo head on the TPM figure..

I don't see anyone wanting to put an OT Luke head on an ST Luke body because they like the sculpt better. Or Han or Leia for that matter.... :dunno

Old lady Leia would look hot in that sexy white see through dress...:rotfl Can you say MILF??? :monkey3

Same here, the TPM sculpt feels more like Maul to me. Then again, my interest in Maul starts and ends with TPM, so I am pretty biased in that regard. And I still think that extending the neck improves the likeness by quite a bit.
And funny that you mention that, I just had the same analogy in my mind today - that putting the Solo Maul sculpt on the TPM feels to me like putting a TFA Han sculpt on an ANH body. Live and let live of course, whatever makes people happy, but not something I'm personally interested in.

Meantime, here's a couple comparisons between DX17 and DX18...

View attachment 501609

View attachment 501610

For some reason, I?m seeing a little bit of Dave Batista as Drax on the right one there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently in the process of overhauling my Maul. I removed the fatsuit, extended the neck (using the matrix69 method of extending it at the base of the neck), and I'm currently in the middle of repainting the sculpt.
The new Solo Maul sculpt is just way too distinctly not TPM for me, and I'm looking for a proper TPM representation. I brightened the red up so far, not sure yet if it's where I want it to be. Will have to check it out with daylight. Some feedback on the red tone would be appreciated as well. :)
I'd love to get the pupils smaller as well, but with the moving eyes it's too risky for me.

Here's a comparison shot with the untouched open mouth sculpt, and a shot on the body for a full view.

View attachment 501603

View attachment 501604

Looking good:clap
The dark red is one of the main reasons I passed on this guy. I’m too scared to repaint my HTs :lol
If the stock figure looked like yours, I probably would have picked it up.

Back