Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally got the cape to a point that looks ok. Seriously, the cape is a test of patience. Such a shame too when the rest of the figure is top notch.

DSC02003.jpg

i know there are a lot of justified complaints about the cape but in HT defense it looks great when futzed for 90 minutes....hopefully TDKR looks as good and takes half the time to futz.

Yes, it's the way you have the leading edges and edge-points of the cape flapping, it does look like it's windy, specially on the (our) right, the (figure's) left side of the cape.

Thanks guys. Awesome figure to play with. Not as delicate as my spideys which I don't really enjoy posing. I also prefer bloodied face as it seems to sit better.

finally got the cape to a point that looks ok. Seriously, the cape is a test of patience. Such a shame too when the rest of the figure is top notch.

DSC02003.jpg

Now that is a mean ass Karate stance indeed...Gedan Barai, (downward block) I believe. We know that BATMAN is only as fit and as strong as 13 years of working out and Martial Arts have made him, but it is great to see him in this actual Karate stance! Much appreciated by me, the worlds fattest, slowest, creakiest Karate student!

Excellently well done!

Now that is a mean ass Karate stance indeed...Gedan Barai, (downward block) I believe. We know that BATMAN is only as fit and as strong as 13 years of working out and Martial Arts have made him, but it is great to see him in this actual Karate stance! Much appreciated by me, the worlds fattest, slowest, creakiest Karate student!

Excellently well done!

LOL :lol I didn't know that is proper karate stance, I just thought he looks cool standing like that. Thanks for the comment.

My friend shared this great interview with me, thought I'd share it here. There are some great stories.

Keaton sounds like a pretty laid back guy. Pretty funny too.

https://www.grantland.com/story/_/i...n-mister-rogers-fly-fishing-roles-turned-more

Michael: But how sad is it that at some point, you say, "Hey man, Netherlands look good this year," and — what? How do I even know that? When did this happen? Actually, this is my favorite Jack Nicholson story. He's a very big sports fan, and obviously a legitimately knowledgeable basketball fan …

Daniel: Sure.

Michael: So here's the best Nicholson sports story. So you know we're in London — we were doing Batman — it wasn't like it is now. There just wasn't a lot to watch. But they did televise darts.

Daniel: Oh, yeah, I actually know that.

Michael: So one morning Nicholson comes in, sits in the makeup chair. In his contract, he says, "I don't show up for makeup until at least 9." And you know, you're normally showing up at 6, 6:30, 7, just to get the day started. But he, very wisely, very professionally, said, "I'm just going to tell you. I'll work later, but I'm not a morning guy."
He'd show up in the morning, and you would have no idea what he'd look like that day — I actually would get excited and wait for him — I so looked forward to what he'd look like when he came in. But then he'd come in, sit in his makeup chair, and then just go to sleep. Because for the Joker, it's a lot of work. And I swear to God, he's such a sports fan, one morning he comes in and I say "Good morning, Jack" — and he calls me Keats — he goes, [doing a killer Nicholson] "Good morning, Keats," and sits down like this [lifting both eyebrows] and says, "Pretty damn good darts tournament last night." And then falls dead asleep.

Daniel: First of all, I think what people don't realize is that when you were chosen as Batman, people were outraged, right?

Michael: [laughing] I know.

Daniel: Were you aware of that at the time?

Michael: I wasn't at the beginning, then I was made aware. Why would anyone get this excited about that?

Michael: I don't get the importance. I was doing an interview, and the guy was going on and on about it, and finally I said, "Did you read the paper this morning?" And I wasn't being a smart ass, I was just being real. And he goes, he just said yes or no, I don't know. I said, "Do you know there are bodies literally, literally like a logjam floating down rivers in Rwanda right now from being hacked up and killed — right now?" and he goes, "Oh, that's terrible … " And I'm like, "Who gives a ____ who's going to be Batman?"

Daniel: You hear about Nicholson doing that, watching the news and calling up the local news anchor, and —

Michael: Really?

Daniel: Yeah! Well, not sure if that's true, but I remember hearing that …

Michael: Well, good for him! I should live more like that, you know. I don't know why I don't.
Daniel: OK, and I'm guessing there's no way you'll answer this, but I'll ask anyway: (6) Rate the Batmans in order of your favorites — best to worst.

Michael: You're not going to believe me. I've only seen the first one. The one I did. And, well, most of the second one, because you see it while you're looping. But I've never seen any of the other ones.

Daniel: You've never seen any of the other ones?

Michael: No, I don't see many movies. I don't even see my own movies.

I really kind of want to see the Chris Nolan one, because he's so crazy talented, so I'll keep saying, "I gotta go see that, I gotta go see that," and then like everything I still want to see, ____, I just forget. There must be a hundred movies out there. I'll say, "I gotta go see that." And then I never get around to seeing them. Or maybe I'll see it later on television. I'm really bad at that. But I will tell you this: Every time I see clips of his movies, they look awesome. This trailer that's out now? ____, it looks unbelievable. He's so talented.

Daniel: Yeah, Christopher Nolan.

Michael: And, I will take credit for this, though: The third Batman didn't happen because I said this is not good, this is just not good.

Daniel: You were right.

Michael: And I said, "So let's make it good," and I run up against this resistance, and I said, "OK, I ain't doing it, man, I just won't do it." And they didn't believe me, but I said, "No, I'm really not doing it … "

Daniel: I know — I heard they backed the truck up. I read the whole story. Fifteen million bucks they offer you, and you just said screw it, no.

Michael: Yeah, that was it. Anyway, so I just said no.

Daniel: Did you talk about Batman with (George) Clooney when you were in Out of Sight?

Michael: No, I don't. But he does. He brings it up all the time. And I really like George, by the way, he's a really under appreciated light comedian, I think.

Michael: I didn't even know he did it. I forgot he did it. But what's his name, uh, Christian …

Daniel: Christian Bale?

Because the first one — when you consider all the obstacles — was really well done, that Tim (Burton) did. And then now, let's go, like, up from there. Like the second one was pretty good, OK, and this third one was, like, undoable for me. And that's exactly what Chris Nolan did. He did exactly what I said we should do —

Michael: Man, it's just so intrinsic, it's so inherently interesting, actually. And I'm not even like a comic book guy, and I never was as a kid even, but I found potentially that it was really interesting. And the thing I saw, I didn't see this either, but I saw a couple of scenes, but the thing Heath Ledger did? Dude. Forget about it. That was unbelievable. That's genius. My mouth hung open.

Is there a way to fix the mouth protrusion on Batman's right side? (Our left) It bothers me so much that I never use that face plate.

The edge on mine is pretty much gone. Try carefully pinching the mouthplate before placing it on the head. Once it's on, futz with it a little. Wiggle it a bit to the left, a bit to the right, all the while pressing on the protruding areas. Worked for me and he even had a bit of an edge on the left lower-jaw area that's now fixed.

Michael: I don't get the importance. I was doing an interview, and the guy was going on and on about it, and finally I said, "Did you read the paper this morning?" And I wasn't being a smart ass, I was just being real. And he goes, he just said yes or no, I don't know. I said, "Do you know there are bodies literally, literally like a logjam floating down rivers in Rwanda right now from being hacked up and killed — right now?" and he goes, "Oh, that's terrible … " And I'm like, "Who gives a ____ who's going to be Batman?"

After reading that, it's obvious that Keaton would faint after reading some of the things discussed here if he ever found himself to these boards.

After reading that, it's obvious that Keaton would faint after reading some of the things discussed here if he ever found himself to these boards.

He'd think we were all CERTIFIABLE:cuckoo:...except me, of course!:wink1:

On the one hand, I agree with that. There are absolutely more serious things in the world to be concerned about than a movie.

On the other hand, it's all relative. If you're talking about the whole world, it's not hard to find something serious. If you're talking about a specific entertainment thing (like a book, movie, game etc...) it is perfectly fine to be focused on it, and the "less serious" things in life. I don't expect an interviewer to ask Christian Bale what he thinks of the crisis in Syria while he's promoting TDKR. We don't have to be serious all the time. Everything in it's place.

Sounds like this interviewer was harping on this one point though...he should've moved on sooner, before Keaton had to remind him that there's more to life.

Cape mod update:

IMG_8553.jpg

IMG_8561.jpg

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_8568.jpg

No paper clips or anything like that, although for my final look I will probably do a little of that just to make it that much sharper. I need to cut of that little nub on the corner of the cape. And I still need to figure out how to make the inside black. I tried using Rit dye and Elvis was right. It doesn't hold with the man made fabric. Right now I'm looking into "disperse dye", which is supposed to work even with polyester.

Anyway, here's a pic of my dying attempt:

IMG_8535.jpg

I brushed it on instead of dipping it. (I'll get to what the arrows are for in a second.)

It was looking great as I went along. In fact even after it dried it still looked pretty great. First I checked if the black would rub off to the touch. Didn't seem to. Then I tested it under running water. Washed right out. :gah:

If you don't mind knowing that it can wash right out then go ahead and try the Rit dye. Note that I did do two "coats", which I would recommend for a deeper black. Keep in mind that the dye is just kind of sitting on top of the fabric, so if anything drips on it, it will run. And I expect that it would rub off even when dry. My test of that wasn't very thorough.

The arrows are for liner removal tutorial. The red arrows represent the edge that gets cut off - the bottom. The blue arrows indicate the edges that (in my opinion) should have the seam removed - the sides. Before I understood that the seem along the bottom was pretty much just for holding the wire, I ripped almost all of the seams - which was a huge pain in the arse.

Below is a picture of the bottom edge after I ripped both seams and then started to cut along the folded edge. I will say that it's probably easier to keep that cut right in the fold with the seams removed, so maybe it wasn't a complete waste of time.

IMG_7917.jpg

In the case of the front/side edges I highly recommend removing all the seams and the fabric held within the seams (you'll know what I'm talking about when you try it). That leaves you with a thin strip of folded pleather that lays nice and close to the body in the most natural way possible, while not having an ugly cut edge exposed [see blue arrows above]. That flap is not held down by anything but that's not a big deal. I think after I figure out how to get the inside black I will use a few little dabs of fabric glue to keep the flap in place.

That's it for now. Any more ideas for how to get the inside black would be most appreciated. :peace

Almost forgot. If you don't know what I mean by 'ripping seams', I'm referring to using one of these:

seamrippers.jpg

They're called "seam rippers" and they work great. You are assured of removing the seam without damaging anything else. Good to have in your moding-tackl-box. :)

Last edited:
Back