1/6 Hot Toys BvS: Dawn of Justice-Wonder Woman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't buy the conspiracy theory either :lol

I enjoyed BVS in spite of its flaws and would echo what Mr.Tanker and Username have said. Visually stunning, some of the scenes I can watch over and over but the overall feel isn't quite right. I really do enjoy a lot of what he's trying to do but it's unforgivable that it took a 3 hour extended cut for Snyder to tell a semi coherent story. I also think there are huge flaws and plot holes in the original Superman movie but because it's put together better it just has a more polished feel. I hope the editing on JL is a lot better.

It's not that I really care what critics feel but I do want less divisive movies that please a bigger proportion of the fan base.

It's not "very, very unlikely". It's an impossibility, an inane conspiracy theory that rivals the Flat Earth Hypothesis in its stupidity, which certain emotionally stunted DC fans keep bringing up because they can't come to grips with the fact that--boo hoo!--critics like Marvel movies better than DC, and they also apparently can't understand how the scores work at Rotten Tomatoes.

Do you think it's very, very unlikely that there's a leprechaun hiding under your bed?

Well, I mean I'm not there, so I can't say it as if it's a fact. But as I stated, I highly doubt that was the case. 99% certain it wasn't. In case you're confused and attempting to paint me as one of these "emotionally stunted DC fans" for whatever reason, I'm not attempting to leave the possibility open that anyone was bribed because I personally want to believe that; I just simply don't know for a fact what goes on behind the scenes at these places so I can't say something is 100% without knowing the facts. It's just simply in my opinion that I don't think there was any collusion based on what I do know. I do think it's inane.

Like Tourist stated earlier, I think it was just as simple as MoS not being what their pre conceived notion of what a Superman film should be like and BvS didn't have the simplicity of what they thought a superhero film in general (using Marvel as the blueprint) should be like in their minds.

I couldn't personally care less what scores a film received, what critics say, etc. All that matters to me is whether I liked it or not. The opinions of other people don't affect my personal enjoyment of something. :duff

Not relevant to this thread but just something I've noticed a lot on these forums, why do Americans say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less"? I find most American English is more logical than our British English but that one is lost on me. If you could care less then by definition you must care at least a little. :confused:

Not relevant to this thread but just something I've noticed a lot on these forums, why do Americans say "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less"? I find most American English is more logical than our British English but that one is lost on me. If you could care less then by definition you must care at least a little. :confused:

Very little in America makes sense, lol.
The language is just a minor part, lol.

Good point, that makes more sense. Fixed. :wave

"Could care less" is a pet peeve of mine too. Another pet peeve: "desert island". There are no deserts surrounded on four sides by water. Deserted islands, however, are plentiful.

Like Tourist stated earlier, I think it was just as simple as MoS not being what their pre conceived notion of what a Superman film should be like and BvS didn't have the simplicity of what they thought a superhero film in general (using Marvel as the blueprint) should be like in their minds.

That's right, Zack Snyder's movie was too complex for the critics. LOL.

Why can't you just like BvS without having to try to drag down the Marvel movies in comparison? I like Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man and I'll defend it to the death as a great action movie, but I'm not going to try to say that the legions of critics who thought it sucked "just didn't get it because they're used to simple movies like Unforgiven and Pulp Fiction and Heat." That would just make me seem obtuse and insecure.

Well, there have been cases like that though. Blade Runner and Fight Club were hated movies critics and audiences didn't get when they came out. Today, they are seen as classics. Its been similar with Snyder's Watchmen, just in a lesser degree, so why can't it be like this with BvS?
I get why people didn't like it, even if I loved it, but it is mostly because they don't like the take or expected something else, not because it is a poorly made film, which it clearly isn't.
Is it flawless? No. But the fact alone that people still talk as much about it 9 months after, while almost nobody talks about Civil War, which was universally loved, speaks volumes imo. Wether people like it or not, it has a lot of stuff to talk about and disect. I take a flawed movie like that over a cookie cutter film even my grandma likes and gets any day.

"Could care less" is a pet peeve of mine too. Another pet peeve: "desert island". There are no deserts surrounded on four sides by water. Deserted islands, however, are plentiful.

"Irregardless", "near miss" and "self help" are some of mine.

That's right, Zack Snyder's movie was too complex for the critics. LOL.

Why can't you just like BvS without having to try to drag down the Marvel movies in comparison? I like Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man and I'll defend it to the death as a great action movie, but I'm not going to try to say that the legions of critics who thought it sucked "just didn't get it because they're used to simple movies like Unforgiven and Pulp Fiction and Heat." That would just make me seem obtuse and insecure.

Okay, you're attempting to incite an argument here for whatever reason when there really doesn't need to be one. Much of what I've said you're taking out of context and seemingly using it as fodder to try start an argument.

I like many of the Marvel films. I've stated on several occasions that I don't do the whole MCU vs. DCEU thing because I don't feel the need to. I think both possess many qualities that the other lacks and I enjoy each universe equally for what they both bring to the table. The same way I don't feel the extreme need to compare the Christopher Reeve movies with these new films. I thoroughly enjoy each for what they are and I can easily watch one right after the other without feeling a need to have to compare the two.

However, based on many reviews that I read, I think many critics with MoS already had a pre conceived notion of what they thought a Superman film should be like in their eyes, based on the Christopher Reeve films (for the record, Superman killed General Zod in Superman II :wink1:). I personally think you fall into this category as well. I recall you stating on many occasions that you utterly loathe Zack Snyder and this rendition of Superman, and actually even recall you joining in on denigrating BvS as a film without having even seen it yet, so I get it. Absolutely nothing wrong with preferring one thing over the other and to some extent, I can even understand why they (critics) and you would feel the need to vet and compare the two because you have to use what you're already familiar with as the starting point, I suppose.

The same goes for BvS. Because of the success of the Marvel films, based on many reviews I read, I gleaned that many critics felt that BvS didn't really fall into the mold of what they thought a multi superhero film should be like, and seemingly based that notion on the blueprint that Marvel used to acheive their success because I read many reviews where it was being compared to Marvel. That's in no way dragging the Marvel films down at all because as I stated, I quite like and enjoy many of the Marvel films. Undoubtedly many individuals have their various reasons why they liked or disliked the film, any film for that matter, but that seemed to essentially be the prevailing one to me when put succinctly.

Not sure why people seem to find it unfathomable that people can like and enjoy two things without making it out to be some sort of competition and that you have to choose a side.

Well, there have been cases like that though. Blade Runner and Fight Club were hated movies critics and audiences didn't get when they came out. Today, they are seen as classics. Its been similar with Snyder's Watchmen, just in a lesser degree, so why can't it be like this with BvS?
I get why people didn't like it, even if I loved it, but it is mostly because they don't like the take or expected something else, not because it is a poorly made film, which it clearly isn't.
Is it flawless? No. But the fact alone that people still talk as much about it 9 months after, while almost nobody talks about Civil War, which was universally loved, speaks volumes imo. Wether people like it or not, it has a lot of stuff to talk about and disect. I take a flawed movie like that over a cookie cutter film even my grandma likes and gets any day.

:goodpost:

I don't think anyone thinks that there's a blueprint a superhero film needs to match. That's certainly not the reason for the DCEU films being so unpopular. If anything I think people would like to see more variation.

Good point, that makes more sense. Fixed. :wave

I hope it didn't come across that I was trying to correct you or be a ****** there. I notice it in movies to. Language evolves so I was just curious how that particular saying developed differently across the pond. :duff

Desert island had never occurred to me until it was mentioned just now. I'll never listen to desert island discs in the same way again :lol

Back on topic, is Snyder having any input in the WW movie? Most of the things I love about this DC universe are probably his ideas so I certainly don't want him removed altogether. I just doubt his ability to bring everything together into a clear narrative. At times it feels like scenes are pieced together randomly rather than flowing naturally, that's my main critique.

I don't think he's done anything as dumb as allowing Superman to reverse time or giving him weird new powers he suddenly developed at the end of Superman 2.

I hope it didn't come across that I was trying to correct you or be a ****** there. I notice it in movies to. Language evolves so I was just curious how that particular saying developed differently across the pond. :duff

Desert island had never occurred to me until it was mentioned just now. I'll never listen to desert island discs in the same way again :lol

Back on topic, is Snyder having any input in the WW movie? Most of the things I love about this DC universe are probably his ideas so I certainly don't want him removed altogether. I just doubt his ability to bring everything together into a clear narrative. At times it feels like scenes are pieced together randomly rather than flowing naturally, that's my main critique.

I don't think he's done anything as dumb as allowing Superman to reverse time or giving him weird new powers he suddenly developed at the end of Superman 2.

No, you're good. :duff

You learn something new everyday. I don't think it was as much the "American" way of saying it, as it was just me saying it incorrectly. Just yesterday I had been saying "for all intensive purposes" when the saying is actually "for all intents and purposes". I had never actually seen that phrase actually written out, only heard in speech and I always thought it was "intensive". Didn't really make sense to me, but I thought that's what the saying was. "Intents and purposes" makes a lot more sense. :lol

Personally, I've always thought the British way of speaking English is much more polished than the way most Americans speak it.

"Desert island" actually is recognized as being an actual term, but you can also refer to it as a "deserted island". I can see why one would call it "desert" though because a desert is generally made up of sand, so an island made up of desert-like sand would reasonably be equated to a desert. However, as mentioned, an actual "desert" is generally not immediately surrounded by water, so a "deserted island" would also make sense, if not more in my opinion.

Although in my opinion, all this talk about grammar and "correct" sayings is becoming borderline pedantic. :lol

I have no idea though whether Snyder is having any input in the WW film or not. Without actually looking, I'm going to say no, he doesn't. At least I haven't heard of him having any. I personally have no issue with him and I like his visuals and many of his ideas, but I do think the DCEU needs to start tapping other directors and producers to do their films as opposed to waiting for Snyder to do every one of them. At that rate, it'll take 20 years before the entire DCEU saga comes to a close.

And yes, I agree that many of Superman's most campy abilities to date were depicted in the Reeve films. Reversing time, cellophane S, turning a random piece of coal into a perfectly cut diamond, making doorbells ring through telekinesis, repairing/rebuilding structures through some form of heat vision, etc. :lol

However, they fit with the films because the films were relatively campy in general, which fit with the time.

Although in my opinion, all this talk about grammar and "correct" sayings is becoming borderline pedantic. :lol

It is pedantic(Pedantic meaning: excessively concerned with minor details or rules).
Sometime's it's good if at least one person reading realised that while they *thought* they were typing english here, the reality was far from it, lol.
My Mum used to say: "Let's get this place into an order of assemblance", when what she *meant*, was "lets get this place into a semblance of order".
Oh the arguments we had about grammar when i was growing up.
I only posted the YT vid above because it's a comedy sketch to make light of it all.

I'll disagree on "desert island". i think there are small patches of land, made mostly of sand, that are surrounded by water. Here, you could argue what is a "desert" that is surrounded by water, thus making it a "desert island". And even if not literally true, I think the term is meant to connote an island typically in a hot climate with sandy beaches. Thus, a chilly patch of land off of Newfoundland is not a "desert island".

Spelling pet peeve- "rediculous".

It is pedantic(Pedantic meaning: excessively concerned with minor details or rules).
Sometime's it's good if at least one person reading realised that while they *thought* they were typing english here, the reality was far from it, lol.
My Mum used to say: "Let's get this place into an order of assemblance", when what she *meant*, was "lets get this place into a semblance of order".
Oh the arguments we had about grammar when i was growing up.
I only posted the YT vid above because it's a comedy sketch to make light of it all.

I get what you're saying here, also. Such as "desert" or "dessert". Some people spell dessert when they apparently meant to say desert, so I can understand legitimate confusion there. Are we going to the desert or are we going to have dessert? :lol

Same with college and collage. The latter being a misspelling of the former, but is an entirely different word in itself.

if-your-a-grammar-nazi.jpg

"Genious" is a pretty good one also. Especially when the person genuinely spelling it that way is sardonically calling someone else a genius.

I'll disagree on "desert island". i think there are small patches of land, made mostly of sand, that are surrounded by water. Here, you could argue what is a "desert" that is surrounded by water, thus making it a "desert island". And even if not literally true, I think the term is meant to connote an island typically in a hot climate with sandy beaches. Thus, a chilly patch of land off of Newfoundland is not a "desert island".

Lol. The appalling spelling on here on a daily basis has me cringing.
I hate when people people say "defiantly" when they mean "definitely"(I also hate reading definately ... GRRR).
As for the desert island part, you are incorrect. You are mistaking the possible existence of sand as evidence of desert. A desert is a barren area of land where little precipitation occurs and consequently living conditions are hostile for plant and animal life. The lack of vegetation exposes the unprotected surface of the ground to the processes of denudation.
It can rain on a "so-called" desert island, so it's merely an island of sand...
Geddit? :lol

Back