Have Movie Audiences Always Been So Fickle?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People do the same about remakes. They ***** and complain and swear they'll never be as good as the originals. Lets just all watch the movies and have fun.

Reboots/remakes get it the worst. People are complaining as soon as those films go into production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they ever tried rebooting films that are already perfect like Alien or Predator, instead of just putting them back in theaters, I would be pissed.

However films that can definitely be improved upon like Total Recall or Robocop? I don't mind those being given another shot because they were never that great to begin with. But even then I don't see why they can't just make up their own separate story set in the same universe. :dunno

I cannot imagine Alien being rebooted. It's like the stars aligned to create that movie. The thought of a whole generation growing up with a lesser, generic copy of that film is sickening. You can't improve upon the acting, the score, the designs, the characters, the effects, the suspense - you just can't. That is the only Alien.

Total Recall and Robocop never that great to begin with? Are you high on Prometheus fumes?

If they ever tried rebooting films that are already perfect like Alien or Predator, instead of just putting them back in theaters, I would be pissed.

However films that can definitely be improved upon like Total Recall or Robocop? I don't mind those being given another shot because they were never that great to begin with.

Lar'ja.......Lar'ja, Lar'ja.............*exhales*...Lar'ja.

No.

For the most part, I was talking about comic book movies, as I think that genre has only recently really evolved and come into it's own. Mostly because studios are actually taking the subject matter seriously now, where I feel they did not in the 70's and 80's, those movies were always delivered with a campy tone in the past.

As far as sensibilities go, there arent that many comedies (for instance) that can stand the test of time. Something that was funny in the 80's really isnt that funny today. There are many exceptions to this, like Young Frankenstein is one movie I always find funny, no matter when I watch it.

I do agree with other examples you hae posted, thrillers, action films, mysteries, dramas, etc...

A truly great film will transcend any time period and hold it's value.

I completely agree with you! I also don't like sentiment that "nothing will get better than this." Why not? That would be awesome if my favorite movie of all time got pushed to my 50th spot, that means I have 49 movies that I love even more! Why not hope for the best? It only benefits the me if the industry strives for greater achievements. Those that are content with what they got and don't want anymore, should stop trying to make others miserable for wanting to trying new things.

People do the same about remakes. They ***** and complain and swear they'll never be as good as the originals. Lets just all watch the movies and have fun.

:lecture
and people act like they can't just ignore them and continue watching the original.
They act like remakes replace the original and the original is gone foe-evah!!!! :horror

Lar'ja.......Lar'ja, Lar'ja.............*exhales*...Lar'ja.

No.

tumblr_mwoyknR0is1s2xw7yo1_500.gif

and people act like they can't just ignore them and continue watching the original.
They act like remakes replace the original and the original is gone foe-evah!!!! :horror
Well it sort of is replacing the original in a way. If the people behind the reboot didn't want to replace the original why the hell would they be remaking it in the first place? Like the original wasn't good enough and it needs to be updated or something.

Sure, the original will always be there and you can always watch it...but is there ever a chance it will get a sequel again? No. The remake will get sequels. The remake will be the one the new generation sees as the "definitive" version. The remake will get all the attention.

Imagine the Star Wars original trilogy being remade.

Yeah that's strange. if you don't like the look of something then just ignore it and don't go to see it.

Last edited:
Well it sort of is replacing the original in a way. If the people behind the reboot didn't want to replace the original why the hell would they be remaking it in the first place? Like the original wasn't good enough and it needs to be updated or something.

Sure, the original will always be there and you can always watch it...but is there ever a chance it will get a sequel again? No. The remake will get sequels. The remake will be the one the new generation sees as the "definitive" version. The remake will get all the attention.

Imagine the Star Wars original trilogy being remade.

What do you mean 'imagine'?

EXACTLY!
people crap on the originals now but nowhere near as much as they do on remakes and sequels, And some of them are really good. Look at the Texas Chainsaw remake and the Friday the 13th remake. Those movies are great.
They might not be great movies in general but as remakes they ARE great.

However films that can definitely be improved upon like Total Recall or Robocop? I don't mind those being given another shot because they were never that great to begin with. But even then I don't see why they can't just make up their own separate story set in the same universe. :dunno

I cannot imagine Alien being rebooted. It's like the stars aligned to create that movie. The thought of a whole generation growing up with a lesser, generic copy of that film is sickening. You can't improve upon the acting, the score, the designs, the characters, the effects, the suspense - you just can't. That is the only Alien.

What I really don't understand is why they cannot make new stories in the same universes?

why does Alien need a remake or a prequel or a sequel? why cant they take that universe and expand it? That's what Predator 2 did, they didn't really follow up on the story from the original. not even the same characters that survived.

Why can't they do that now? everything needs to be a remake of the same old story or a sequel to the original.

but why can't they just take that universe and create a completely new story? new characters?

What do you mean 'imagine'?
I mean imagine it being remade because it hasn't been remade. Prequel trilogy was bad, but it wasn't a remake. George Lucas edits are bad, but it's not like he threw out everything in the films and started from scratch...which is essentially what a remake would be.

What I really don't understand is why they cannot make new stories in the same universes?

why does Alien need a remake or a prequel or a sequel? why cant they take that universe and expand it? That's what Predator 2 did, they didn't really follow up on the story from the original. not even the same characters that survived.

Why can't they do that now? everything needs to be a remake of the same old story or a sequel to the original.

but why can't they just take that universe and create a completely new story? new characters?

Uh, what? There's nothing wrong with prequels and sequels. As for following a different story in the same universe with a different cast, that is exactly what Prometheus did. It's not a direct prequel, it's a separate story about a different group of characters set in the same universe, that may or may not end up tying into Alien in it's sequels.

You say Predator 2 expanded the universe, showed more of the predators, etc... That is also exactly what Aliens did. Queen alien? Terraforming? Off-world colonization?

:goodpost:

Simply tell a new story based on new characters in the same universe.

They remake/reboot for the name recognition but they'd get that with sequels, prequels or spin-offs.

I'd love a terminator movie about some of the soldiers in the future war. No John Connor or T800 Arnie

Uh, what? There's nothing wrong with prequels and sequels. As for following a different story in the same universe with a different cast, that is exactly what Prometheus did. It's not a direct prequel, it's a separate story about a different group of characters set in the same universe, that may or may not end up tying into Alien in it's sequels.

You say Predator 2 expanded the universe, showed more of the predators, etc... That is also exactly what Aliens did. Queen alien? Terraforming? Off-world colonization?

Because nothing will ever be as good as the first or second movie. And when they try to make new stories based on those same characters and those same places and same plots we end up with crap.

Alien and Aliens should have been the only Ripley movies. Alien 4 wouldn't have been as bad if they didn't shoehorn her in. there are lots of other examples where they try to continue with the same story only to ruin it. it should have ended at 3, AND they should have made a brand new story for 4 involving someone else.

I understand studios want money and they want brand recognition and they want to bring in the fans of the old movies, But why can't they create a new story with new characters and create a new movie? Why does it have to be either a remake or a crappy sequel? Some sequels are good, but some sequels end up ruining the entire franchise.

I mean imagine it being remade because it hasn't been remade. Prequel trilogy was bad, but it wasn't a remake. George Lucas edits are bad, but it's not like he threw out everything in the films and started from scratch...which is essentially what a remake would be.

I was being facetious :) In my mind GL's edits made the OT a different experience, if not a new suite of movies.

how come they never remake movies that had really bad special effects? or movies that had good plots but bad acting or bad directing?

Simply tell a new story based on new characters in the same universe.

They remake/reboot for the name recognition but they'd get that with sequels, prequels or spin-offs.
Exactly.

Alien and Aliens should have been the only Ripley movies. Alien 4 wouldn't have been as bad if they didn't shoehorn her in. there are lots of other examples where they try to continue with the same story only to ruin it. it should have ended at 3, AND they should have made a brand new story for 4 involving someone else.
Never thought of what Resurrection would have been like without Ripley. I have always liked the idea of her being cloned as the last chance to acquire a Xenomorph, and I liked the wacky, comic-like futuristic setting, I just don't think any of that translated really well.

Also no Weyland-Yutani is an instant fail.

just like the movie....

Jack Ryan: Shadow Shhite

talk about rebooting tom clancy's novel characters.lolz

Back