George Lucas: "I'm Retiring"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is obvioius, abake. But in the interview, George worded it like it was him and only him. And I'm sure Coppola, Ridley and even Cameron would acknowledge that filmmaking is a collaborative art and that they have invaluable people who work tirelessly to make their personal vision come to life. Not George. He made it pretty clear that he does not like anyone's input because the vision of the movie is his alone.
i think too that its hard in an interview setting to give everyone their credit, you only have such an amount of time, with all the extensive books and documentaries-bonus features, we all come to know the collaborative effort
at the end of the day its like picking out your own clothes, people are gonna criticize how you look and not who made the clothing

Hopefully. At least Bay know how to actually a visually interesting movie, without the use of CGI backgrounds.

Enjoy you retirement George. Now let someone, like Neil Blomkamp or Duncan Jones (Great directors both!) remake the original trilogy, to really tie them altogether. It sounds horrible I know, but I think it would be neat to see.

Remake the original trilogy?

Remake the original trilogy?

That is what I've always suggested.

Restore the original OT and release it on Bluray so all the whinebag babies in the world would stfu. But charge like $2500 for each movie just just to see if you are a true fan.

The remake 4, 5 and 6 to mesh better with the PT and erase the terrible acting of Hamill from memory.

picture.php

That is what I've always suggested.

Restore the original OT and release it on Bluray so all the whinebag babies in the world would stfu. But charge like $2500 for each movie just just to see if you are a true fan.

The remake 4, 5 and 6 to mesh better with the PT and erase the terrible acting of Hamill from memory.

:lol. Amazing.

I find it slightly funny when people act like the idea of remaking the original trilogy is blasphemy. Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, etc. are part of our cultural lexicon not Mark Hamill, Dave Prowse (who most people don't know what under there) or Peter Mayhew, etc. While we endear ourselves to those actors, they are actors plain and simple not the actual characters themselves.

Star Trek, James Bond, Batman and a few others have shown you can reboot a series and make it good while sill preserving the originals that came before them.

If technology finally caught up with how George wanted to tell the story, he should have remade them with that tech from the getgo and preserved the old for the fans of them instead of tinkering with a completed project beyond recognition in some aspects but that's just my two pennies.

This thread is still bringing in the haters, we are losing someone incredibly special to the world of not just Star Wars but also film in general, sound and technology.

None of you moaners will understand what he has brought to cinema, not just via Star Wars and Indy. Oh... and whatever anyone says, there is definitely a pristine print/digital file of the unaltered original trilogy in some Lucas Archive vault somewhere, the man is definitely not as stupid as some of you make out.

Problem is, we are taking into account what he has "contributed" since 1983 and it's not that great. It speaks to the greatness of what came before because if anyone else besides Lucas came out with anything as awful as the prequels, they'd be long gone. There wouldn't be any question of retirement.

His films have convinced me that a movie needs more than special effects and beloved characters to be watchable. You need good writing or you have to know it when you see it. Lucas' specialty seems to be CGI these days, why not just throw everything into that?

If he was really worried of what people thought in the first place he should have listened. Sounds like all the money he made from them wasn't enough after all.

Either way this retirement announcement is ploy for sympathy. Just take a break and come back with fresh ideas. This all or nothing attitude has to go.

I find it slightly funny when people act like the idea of remaking the original trilogy is blasphemy. Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, etc. are part of our cultural lexicon not Mark Hamill, Dave Prowse (who most people don't know what under there) or Peter Mayhew, etc. While we endear ourselves to those actors, they are actors plain and simple not the actual characters themselves.

Star Trek, James Bond, Batman and a few others have shown you can reboot a series and make it good while sill preserving the originals that came before them.

If technology finally caught up with how George wanted to tell the story, he should have remade them with that tech from the getgo and preserved the old for the fans of them instead of tinkering with a completed project beyond recognition in some aspects but that's just my two pennies.

Its more the thought of someone suggesting that the original trilogy needs to be remade and not the PT. I don't care how overdramatic people think OT purists are that is nonsense.

Realistically the PT should lead into it's own OT and leave the old alone. I think then you'd get the best of both worlds because those who love the PT would have their own OT to connect to and those who just love the OT could just have it left alone....or left alone as much as Lucas will allow.

Problem is, we are taking into account what he has "contributed" since 1983 and it's not that great. It speaks to the greatness of what came before because if anyone else besides Lucas came out with anything as awful as the prequels, they'd be long gone. There wouldn't be any question of retirement.

His films have convinced me that a movie needs more than special effects and beloved characters to be watchable. You need good writing or you have to know it when you see it. Lucas' specialty seems to be CGI these days, why not just throw everything into that?

If he was really worried of what people thought in the first place he should have listened. Sounds like all the money he made from them wasn't enough after all.

Either way this retirement announcement is ploy for sympathy. Just take a break and come back with fresh ideas. This all or nothing attitude has to go.

I disagree with that statement. I think it's the fact that they are SW and George Lucas' films that bring them under such close scrutiny and unrealistically high expectations.
If the PT as it is were made by James Cameron everybody would be having nerdgasms about how they wanted to live there and not in the real world...

If GL makes new SW, unfortunately I will watch it...and not even walk to it, I will run :lol

Going to watch TPM in 3D :yess:

And I'm not a PT fan :lol

Total anarchy I tell ya, SW has ____ed me up bad, I even pee sitting down :lol

I disagree with that statement. I think it's the fact that they are SW and George Lucas' films that bring them under such close scrutiny and unrealistically high expectations.
If the PT as it is were made by James Cameron everybody would be having nerdgasms about how they wanted to live there and not in the real world...

Doubtful. But at least the CGI would be better. :lol

Here is some food for thought.

Maybe, if George Lucas never did Star Wars, then Star Wars would not have happened.

But...what if...

There was someone who was going to do something a hell of a lot better than Star Wars, but he didn't think it would do well against Star Wars so he didn't do it.

Just one more thing we have to hate Lucas for.

So ____ you George Lucas for destroying a property that COULD have been better than Star Wars!

:)

Haha, well Cameron at least has been slow to make multiple sequels of his biggest hits... Just think we could've had a Titanic 2!

But really what strikes me about Ep 1-3 was how much the special effects was taking away from the performances. Even the actors involved let slip how difficult it was with practically nothing to interact with in person. I just wish he had spent more time on the important characters and given the actors more to go on.

Back