George Lucas: "I'm Retiring"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish steven spielberg had directed one of the Star wars films, that would have been amazing. I like all 6 films, but the main problem is George would not listen to anyones ideas, he should have had qui gon jinn in episode 3 at least, as spirit form. They wrote a scene with Obi wan traveling through a cave system and at the end finds qui gon, but he scrapped it.

They also had ideas of a young Han rescuing chewy. And I wanted to see a younger Millenium falcon in the prequels for at least five minutes.

Honestly I wish that Lucas didn't direct any of the prequels. It would have been neat to see others working in tandem with him and not just him running the show alone.

I don't get all the hate. It's the guys intellectual property, he can do what he wants to do with it. Sure I'd have like a better prequel trilogy, but it's better than the 20 year gap of nothing we had after RTOJ.

At least the franchise is moving forward. New people will hopefully now pick up the reins and we will get more TV and movies.

Pay the man a little respect

I wish steven spielberg had directed one of the Star wars films, that would have been amazing. I like all 6 films, but the main problem is George would not listen to anyones ideas, he should have had qui gon jinn in episode 3 at least, as spirit form. They wrote a scene with Obi wan traveling through a cave system and at the end finds qui gon, but he scrapped it.

They also had ideas of a young Han rescuing chewy. And I wanted to see a younger Millenium falcon in the prequels for at least five minutes.

Speilberg directed the Utapau scenes for EPIII

I don't get all the hate. It's the guys intellectual property, he can do what he wants to do with it. Sure I'd have like a better prequel trilogy, but it's better than the 20 year gap of nothing we had after RTOJ.

At least the franchise is moving forward. New people will hopefully now pick up the reins and we will get more TV and movies.

Disagree. With nothing the SW name would still have some dignity. I honestly woulda rather had nothing, than watch Anakin goto the darkside for a chick!

Speilberg directed the Utapau scenes for EPIII

Not really. He just directed the animatics for the Obi-Wan/Grievous chase scene... and most of that was scrapped.

Incidentally, Spielberg was Lucas' first choice to direct ROTJ, but he couldn't do it because Lucas was on the outs with the DGA.

Why? Sure he created Star Wars and we all love it but that doesn't give him a pass for the rest of his life to do whatever he wants have us gobble it up as if his stools were made of Strawberry jam. Lucas to me is no different than the athlete to stayed in the game a little too long and went from being a legend to being known for more of their missteps than anything else. Do I love Joe Montana? Absolutely, he was the only reason I liked the San Francisco 49ers in my youth (to an extent Steve Young but that's a tangent) but that doesn't mean that when he came back and played with the Kansas City Chiefs and made a complete ass of himself by being the lame duck in the mix will go unnoticed or unnoted.

Lucas is open to critiques like any other creator of any other intellectual property and if he had listened to even a tiny percentage of those critiques then his creations would have been better for it. Does that mean that he should listen to Bobafan8565cxx4 on YouTube? No, although one could argue that their fandom would reveal some serious points if you could wade through the insanity but when respected people in his own industry are making comments openly without a problem then it's definitely a red flag that you've become a bit disconnected with your craft.

Um, can we all just agree to disagree that Lucas screwed-up, is retiring "BIG BLOCKERS" and move on? I think drawing the conversation about the man is pointless.

Well said :clap :goodpost:

Lucas ended up making the Star Wars trilogy OTC unwatchable to me.....between greedo firing first, Jango voice for ESB boba, and Vader screaming in ROTJ, enough is enough

Glad he is retiring. His best years creatively are way way behind him

Why? Sure he created Star Wars and we all love it but that doesn't give him a pass for the rest of his life to do whatever he wants have us gobble it up as if his stools were made of Strawberry jam. Lucas to me is no different than the athlete to stayed in the game a little too long and went from being a legend to being known for more of their missteps than anything else. Do I love Joe Montana? Absolutely, he was the only reason I liked the San Francisco 49ers in my youth (to an extent Steve Young but that's a tangent) but that doesn't mean that when he came back and played with the Kansas City Chiefs and made a complete ass of himself by being the lame duck in the mix will go unnoticed or unnoted.

Lucas is open to critiques like any other creator of any other intellectual property and if he had listened to even a tiny percentage of those critiques then his creations would have been better for it. Does that mean that he should listen to Bobafan8565cxx4 on YouTube? No, although one could argue that their fandom would reveal some serious points if you could wade through the insanity but when respected people in his own industry are making comments openly without a problem then it's definitely a red flag that you've become a bit disconnected with your craft.

Your argument is redundant, no one forced you to watch any of the movies made.

Lucas away's said that he was making the movies he wanted to make and as such was financing them all himself. The fact that we all went and saw them, then bought the DVD's and will probably go see the 3d re- releases is what keeps him making the movies.

So is Lucas to blame or is it the fans? The fact is he is open to critique, but has earn't the right not to listen.

Got to give the man credit, he kept interest alive for his franchise long after it might have normally died down.

It's hard to resist the urge to keep tweeking your work. Picasso was once arrested for retouching one of his own works on display. The problem is just that George is undermining everyone else's contributions in these films. A movie unlike a painting involves so much artistic input from hundreds if not thousands of other artists that altering something once it's already been released is a slap in the face to those folks. Sure, he can do whatever he wants but he's proven to have horrible judgement in this regard. It's not that he is a bad person, but his reputation as a great filmmaker has been completely eroded.

The Clone Wars, TOR are a good example that there's still great possibilities for the brand. The best thing about it is that he's allowing others to make solid contributions. I hope it stays that way. Overall I'd say a break of about 5 to 10 years wouldn't hurt.

I think George had a problem with listening. I mean the backlash alone with the new NOOOO in ROTJ and then again in revenge of the sith alone tells you he didn't care. I'm glad he's taking a back seat, too late if you ask me. Though I do feel we all got cheated with the prequel trio and not a continuation of the first.

Back