G.I. Joe: Classified 6" figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then give the license to someone else. I don't need or want SJW G.I Joe Snowflakes

They have. Jazwares, who makes the Fortnite figures, will be making 4" scale versions of GIJoe. But they will prolly look like junk from Fortnite.

With the 40th Anniversary of ARAH coming up, you can prolly bet on it that Hasbro will make 6" recreations of the vintage line.

G.I. Joe has recently become a very delicate franchise for Hasbro. In a manner of speaking, it basically romanticizes war, weapons, and the soldiers within. It is a very modern and border-line realistic franchise. COBRA was originally a "ruthless terrorist organization" before terrorism became a serious, real thing for everyday Americans when 9/11 happened. Gun violence in schools and with children has become more apparent and visible in recent years and the advent of the internet does a lot to demonstrate what has been going on nationwide.

I'm not trying to start a political debate, but you have to look at these outside forces to understand WHY Hasbro has fantasized and "power ranger'ed" G.I. Joe in recent years (aside from toy trends). Hasbro does not want to gain an image or attract attention that their figures are "too realistic" or worse...are somehow tied to a gun violence crime done by children who played with G.I. Joes or in some way are "inspired" by G.I. Joe/COBRA. They don't want to attract parent groups hating on them for driving their children to enlist in the military because G.I. Joe "inspired" them to serve with their realistic designs or romantic portrayal of fighting "bad guys".
I haven't considered this. And it's possible. But it's pretty clear that GI Joe, if it's going to have legs, is going to have to appeal to old fogeys like us who are looking to scratch a nostalgic itch. They aren't going to succeed going after new fans at this point. There's just too much other stuff out there to appeal to kids. So, are they just trying to avoid negative PR? I don't recall much of that when the 25th anniversary stuff hit.

I think, similar to SSC, they are trying to find some compromise between classic looks and "modern" special ops-type gear and aesthetics because they feel that is what the market is looking for. It didn't work for me with SSC, and it isn't working here. I won't buy any of these, even though I do like some of Duke's clear references to the original figure/design. I actually think the best way to move forward is letting someone like ThreeZero do classic card art/toy designs with mixed media in 1/12th scale. No mass produced, Hasbro-based product is going to be sufficiently high in quality for me anyway. But I would at least pick up some of my favorites if they did this line with pure, classic looks.

I haven't considered this. And it's possible. But it's pretty clear that GI Joe, if it's going to have legs, is going to have to appeal to old fogeys like us who are looking to scratch a nostalgic itch. They aren't going to succeed going after new fans at this point. There's just too much other stuff out there to appeal to kids. So, are they just trying to avoid negative PR? I don't recall much of that when the 25th anniversary stuff hit.

I think, similar to SSC, they are trying to find some compromise between classic looks and "modern" special ops-type gear and aesthetics because they feel that is what the market is looking for. It didn't work for me with SSC, and it isn't working here. I won't buy any of these, even though I do like some of Duke's clear references to the original figure/design. I actually think the best way to move forward is letting someone like ThreeZero do classic card art/toy designs with mixed media in 1/12th scale. No mass produced, Hasbro-based product is going to be sufficiently high in quality for me anyway. But I would at least pick up some of my favorites if they did this line with pure, classic looks.

I actually caught up on some Joecon news and you're definitely right that they need to appeal to old fogeys. Unfortunately, I just learned that the last "official" Joecon was held in 2018 and the official G.I. Joe Collectors Club shut down last year. I attended the 2004 Joecon in Orlando and the 2005 one in Minneapolis..they were a lot of fun. Kind of ironic on the heels of another Hasbro attempt to revitalize the franchise, the official Joecons are already gone...

I think if they want to win over new fans, they have to do what they did before and create an accompanying cartoon to go with the toys. I think the reason the 25th Anniversary stuff was looked over by the media was because it was blatantly an adult/classic collector-aimed line. Those lines tend to get away with more because the media and parents KNOW it's aimed at older collectors...similar to what we've seen with the He-Man line. Problem was, and this is mostly my opinion and optic, Hasbro was over-saturating the market with LOTS of 25th Anniversary stuff towards the end of the line, they had expanded into the comic two-packs, and then had one-pack figures with exclusive colors at discount retailers (Dollar Stores, etc.)...it was definitely a good time to be a Joe fan. But I think a lot of the good will they built up basically got trashed and they lost lots of fans once the G.I. Joe movie came out and they released figures for it. That's around the time that I stopped collecting RAH and sold my collection. They then slammed the market with the "Pursuit of Cobra" stuff which basically replicated the movie designs. Classic characters were released with "movie designs", there was stuff from the ill-fated "Renegades" show...and basically the 25th Anniversary/30th Anniversary stuff was repackaged and slowly ventured away from the classic designs re-made in the new 25th Anniversary style. By the time Retaliation came out, Hasbro was full-blown on G.I. Joe movie stuff and any classic designs were repaints in the new-style boxes.

It was actually up to the G.I. Joe Collector's Club (run by Brian Savage and his company Fun Publications...I think it was) who had to revitalize the 25th Anniversary style line continuing with a "Subscription style" figure releases. The GIJCC partnered with Hasbro to do these figures, but because it was mostly funded by the GIJCC, their costs were extremely high and these 3.75 figures ranged between $35 - $50 per figure. It's an interesting story, but it was basically the fans that were keeping things going and working with Hasbro to release limited figures at basically double/triple the original costs for the old fogey fans. It eventually all caught up with them and by 2018/2019, you can see the Joecons and GIJCC have shut down.

I like your idea of ThreeZero, but I don't see RAH Joe fans paying those prices regularly, they were scoffing at the Sideshow figure prices on some old forums I frequented when those figures were released. Especially when Sideshow got lazy and basically would release Army Builder figures hoping they could capture on the army builder mentality. The line only had about 3 good years, in 2013 and 2014 they just released one figure each of those years (Bludd and Cobra Commander) before they canned it. There's also a big distinction between the old school G.I. Joe/Action Man 12" collectors and the RAH fans. At the Joecon, they had activities, exclusives, and panels that catered to both fanbases, but you can clearly see a divide in the legacy fandom.

I love G.I. Joe, I hope it ALWAYS does well and I will always love discussing and seeing the figures. But I'm done with it. Gave lots of good years to it and have great memories, but I really struggle to see it survive in the way lots of us remember it. It's one of the biggest 80's franchises, but also one of the ones that always seems to struggle to maintain support from its fans (I think lots of us are aging out or collecting other things) and more importantly, maintain support from the company that created it.

They have. Jazwares, who makes the Fortnite figures, will be making 4" scale versions of GIJoe. But they will prolly look like junk from Fortnite.

With the 40th Anniversary of ARAH coming up, you can prolly bet on it that Hasbro will make 6" recreations of the vintage line.

The Jazwares rumor turned out to have no truth to it by my understanding. It's been shot down pretty thoroughly in a couple of GI Joe forums I'd been watching lately for updates.

EDIT - actually, it looks like Jazwares does indeed have one GI Joe license, but not for 4" action figures. It's apparently for "Domez" figures, which is kind of a little cartoonish super-deformed snow-globe looking thing based on what the Fortnite versions look like.

They are actually just little gumball machine type statue figures
https://news.hisstank.com/2020/02/24/jazwares-to-produce-g-i-joe-domez-figures-68209

That's actually Jada Toys making those along with die-cast vehicles, but you are correct.

Last edited:
Well I think they look awesome. Cool modernization of old characters. A lot of the original designs just wouldn't work today, they are by no means bad designs but they are almost all very dated and wouldn't attract the attention of kids on a shelf.

We'll definitely get more classic designs down the line anyway, it boggle the mind that people dont know this from Hasbro. We JUST got a definitive classic Iron Man and theyve had the license for Marvel Legends for years. We got plenty of Iron Man before that, but the one all the 80s kids wanted just came out. Same goes for Cap and Thor,the flagship characters, JUST got classic renditions last summer. It will be the same for this line.

This can't get into my hands fast enough!!
Drop down hips confirmed.

Finally a 6” Snake Eyes (aside from customizers) that has the best articulation I’ve waited for..If they did his classic look..perfection...for now, I can live with this

Snake Eyes and Duke look cool.

The redesigns don?t bother me. I also expected 6? ?realistic? versions of the 80s artwork, but Snake sets and Duke are nice. If this line does well, ?retro? versions will be inevitable.

And yeah, Roadblock and Scarlett look like generic crap, but let?s be honest, it?s Roadblock and Scarlett. Nobody cares about them, retro or redesigned. Just wait until they do more troops and ninjas. Cobra troops, Firefly, the Cobra BAT.

The Star Wars black series SUCKED in the beginning. Now look at it. Give these some time.

I hope you're right. I'd like them to look like the RAH cartoon or the original art. I'm not a fan of the futuristic modern looking outfits. It's not GI Joe, imo….not the GI Joe I grew up with anyways. I'll wait for the "classic" designs, assuming this first wave doesn't kill the line. :lol

Oh...I forgot that we have the new "Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins" movie coming out. I'm sure we'll see figures related to that. It'll be interesting if they'll do 6" or 3.75" or both. https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1124557-henry-golding-announces-snake-eyes-has-wrapped-production

Henry Golding (The main guy from Crazy Rich Asians) plays Snake Eyes. Pretty good actor and I'm sure he'll do fine. I wonder how they'll depict Snake Eyes' background as he's a blonde-haired, blue-eyed American recon ranger in Southeast Asia/Vietnam War before taking off to Japan to train with the Arashikage.

Another really good look at Snake Eyes from Daredevil 19 here:

I love that they gave these a ball hinge type joint at the waist. Simulates the rubber band waist articulation on the old RAH figures nicely. :D

Most reviews are saying that he has drop down hips or drop down legs... What does that mean? I don't really collect 6" figures, and if I do I haven't opened of of them =)

Thanks!

Most reviews are saying that he has drop down hips or drop down legs... What does that mean? I don't really collect 6" figures, and if I do I haven't opened of of them =)

Thanks!

It's a feature of high end Japanese import figures. It allows you to move the legs higher forward or out to the side than regular hip joints. You drop the leg down at the hips so the lower torso piece doesn't limit movement of the legs, you push the hip back up into place so there isn't as big of a gap in standing poses.
I clipped this review from the time reviewer Robo talks about the drop down hips on this SH Figuarts Iron Man (he calls them swing down joints) so you have an idea on why they're there:
https://youtu.be/B02COTVnO0c?t=281

Would be really amazing to see a set based on the cartoon or card art done like Mattel or Super7 or whomever is doing for He-Man. They'd look damn cool.

Back