G.I. Joe: Classified 6" figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we complain, there's a chance they'll fix it. Look at the Sonic movie and that horrible cg design, for instance =)

The Sonic fix was an anomaly. A corporation that has already invested a lot of money is unlikely to make changes even with public outcry, plus there is also an executive(s) at Hasbro who will double-down on this design decision because their fragile ego won't let him/her admit they were wrong.

Looking at all the negative comments here and on Facebook, it's safe to assume this line won't last long. Sad to see G.I. Joe disappear again so soon.

Looking at all the negative comments here and on Facebook, it's safe to assume this line won't last long. Sad to see G.I. Joe disappear again so soon.

It gets what it deserves. Do it right or don't make them at all. While other companies are making "classic" collector lines across the board, Hasbro decides to make Fortnite/Power Ranger and almost unrecognizable "G.I.Joe" that NOBODY asked for.....Fans have been asking for Classic 6" ARAH straight from the original card Art or Sunbow Cartoon and this is what we get instead :lol. These will rot on the shelves,as kids won't buy them.(Mom is not paying $20-25 for these to begin with). G.I.joe remains in the minds of us kids that bought them in the 80's. Hasblow needs to stop trying reinventing the wheel

It gets what it deserves. Do it right or don't make them at all. While other companies are making "classic" collector lines across the board, Hasbro decides to make Fortnite/Power Ranger and almost unrecognizable "G.I.Joe" that NOBODY asked for.....Fans have been asking for Classic 6" ARAH straight from the original card Art or Sunbow Cartoon and this is what we get instead :lol. These will rot on the shelves,as kids won't buy them.(Mom is not paying $20-25 for these to begin with). G.I.joe remains in the minds of us kids that bought them in the 80's. Hasblow needs to stop trying reinventing the wheel

Well said!

They are almost card accurate except for some updates, but they kept them almost the same, duke and snake eyes are almost perfect. Scarlett looks good. V2 roadblock with gold accents, they took traits from the characters and added it to them. They are all sold out on Hasbro pulse. How does no one wants them now. I got all of them and 2 Snake eyes ex. Bring on more

Every other toy company (Mezco, Super 7, Mattel) are going toon accurate with their 80s & 90s properties like Thundercats, MOTU, Takara Masterpiece, TMNT, etc. because the collectors with the most disposable income for all this plastic crap grew up in those decades and are willing to spend a lot of money on nostalgia. You are 1000% correct when you stated Mom and Dad are not gonna buy $30 figures for little 10-year-old Timmy, but 40-year-old collectors will buy it for themselves. That is the consumer base for this line.

What is even more puzzling is Hasbro's other product lines are not going with this crappy "updated videogaming" style. Their new Power Ranger figures are faithful to the original TV show, Ghostbusters look like they did in the original movie, and their hugely successful Marvel Legends line accurately recreates some characters from the 1960s & 1970s Marvel catalog with no updating at all. How they bungled 6" G.I. Joe, a property they own, is a whole new level of Hasblow incompetence.

I wonder if they are getting the message since they're getting hammered on the Hasbro Pulse Facebook page about this.

Well, I preordered all four. As far as current updates go, they are pretty decent. I love Snake-Eyes. I also believe that if these first few waves do well Hasbro will produce those classic, card accurate figures we want. I am willing to give them a chance to get there.

I've been done collecting G.I. Joe for a long time but always like to see it succeed. I hope this line does well. Hasbro has repeatedly come back and given G.I. Joe numerous chances in the past (though they sometimes tend to shoot themselves in the foot with their attempts...i.e. the G.I. Joe movies, though some of the figures were great).

If the line does well, Hasbro knows there is a market that will want true-to-form representations of the original figures in 6-inch format and I bet they'll eventually make them. I've been to the Joecons and trust me, I'm sure this has been and will be asked repeatedly during the Hasbro panel. But right now, they have to balance their market between appealing to the old collectors, kids, and their self-imposed rules/public opinion of weapons, war, and soldiers (look at their "guns" in Marvel Legends). I was there during the JvC, Spytroops, Valor vs. Venom 2000's comeback and fans were clamoring for Joes in the original style and Hasbro listened and asked for patience...we then soon got the EXCELLENT 25th Anniversary collection and the figures that followed that.

Just be patient, support the line if you want to or not, but if it does well, I guarantee you'll get those few original style releases.

Maybe if the line lasts a couple of more years we'll get something classic for a 40th anniversary. Of course they'll probably reuse that crappy redrawn 25th card art, but I'll take what I can get

G.I. Joe has recently become a very delicate franchise for Hasbro. In a manner of speaking, it basically romanticizes war, weapons, and the soldiers within. It is a very modern and border-line realistic franchise. COBRA was originally a "ruthless terrorist organization" before terrorism became a serious, real thing for everyday Americans when 9/11 happened. Gun violence in schools and with children has become more apparent and visible in recent years and the advent of the internet does a lot to demonstrate what has been going on nationwide.

I'm not trying to start a political debate, but you have to look at these outside forces to understand WHY Hasbro has fantasized and "power ranger'ed" G.I. Joe in recent years (aside from toy trends). Hasbro does not want to gain an image or attract attention that their figures are "too realistic" or worse...are somehow tied to a gun violence crime done by children who played with G.I. Joes or in some way are "inspired" by G.I. Joe/COBRA. They don't want to attract parent groups hating on them for driving their children to enlist in the military because G.I. Joe "inspired" them to serve with their realistic designs or romantic portrayal of fighting "bad guys".

I that is very true indeed. And part of the reason they need to stick with the nostalgia of the 80’s. Try to modernize it too much and you get into those political issues. Stick with the classics and you have more of a cushion from that. Exposed chested Gung Ho, Zartan’s abs, and all of the horror and beauty of 80’s fashion cannot be taken seriously as any kind of political stance. That is what they need to embrace! GI Joe hasn’t really modernize well. It might be a product of the times and work best as some kind of time capsule of the 80’s.

G.I. Joe has recently become a very delicate franchise for Hasbro. In a manner of speaking, it basically romanticizes war, weapons, and the soldiers within. It is a very modern and border-line realistic franchise. COBRA was originally a "ruthless terrorist organization" before terrorism became a serious, real thing for everyday Americans when 9/11 happened. Gun violence in schools and with children has become more apparent and visible in recent years and the advent of the internet does a lot to demonstrate what has been going on nationwide.

Your assessment is valid and explains the video game Fortnite aesthetic as opposed to the more fantasy US military look. Trying not to glorify guns and terrorism with this brand is a problem for Hasbro marketing.

Your assessment is valid and explains the video game Fortnite aesthetic as opposed to the more fantasy US military look. Trying not to glorify guns and terrorism with this brand is a problem for Hasbro marketing.

Kinda redundant considering the punisher gets guns..... Any ways you slice it, roadblock should have a m2 50 cal. but he doesn?t. Time to repaint and source the guns from elsewhere, you know, stuff we shouldn?t have to do.... But considering people are dumb enough to pay hundreds upon hundreds of dollars on hot toys, and have to do a bunch of modifications to the thing, small things that cost $20 shouldn?t really piss that many off.
Oh and oh yeah, all that has been said about weapons, snake eyes does come with an uzi, so there?s that....

I'm not trying to start a political debate, but you have to look at these outside forces to understand WHY Hasbro has fantasized and "power ranger'ed" G.I. Joe in recent years (aside from toy trends). Hasbro does not want to gain an image or attract attention that their figures are "too realistic" or worse...are somehow tied to a gun violence crime done by children who played with G.I. Joes or in some way are "inspired" by G.I. Joe/COBRA. They don't want to attract parent groups hating on them for driving their children to enlist in the military because G.I. Joe "inspired" them to serve with their realistic designs or romantic portrayal of fighting "bad guys".

Then give the license to someone else. I don't need or want SJW G.I Joe Snowflakes

And to think people complained about Sideshow’s modernization of GI Joe. Kinda sad that they understood the property better than Hasbro does :lol

And to think people complained about Sideshow’s modernization of GI Joe. Kinda sad that they understood the property better than Hasbro does :lol

I actually liked SSC take on Joes ..the problem was the horrible base bodies were pieces of crap ..probably the worst kind of bodies in 1/6 used for 12” characters back then. No matter how awesome the weapons and clothing where and they were very impressive but the figures would just look awkward and unstable due to the weak instability of the bodies

Then give the license to someone else. I don't need or want SJW G.I Joe Snowflakes

Hasbro created and owns G.I. Joe. Don't think they'll ever get rid of it. They've sub-licensed out some of it (like the 12" figures to Sideshow, and the comics to Marvel/Devil's Due/IDW). I think the only big sale of a 80's franchise in recent years was when Ninja Turtles was sold to Nickelodeon.

I dug Sideshow's take on G.I. Joe. They stayed pretty close to the figure's roots but we all know Sideshow likes to spice things up. I did have their Snake-Eyes long ago. I even got the Hot Toys Retaliation Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow...I liked their movie designs.

I'd be interested to see if Hasbro does something like Mattel did with He-Man and Super 7, where Mattel basically partnered with Super 7 to continue their Masters of the Universe Classics line, before Mattel recently took back full control and now also has a new Netflix show coming out. I don't know...we'll have to see what happens with this new line first.

Hasbro seems to be moving away from guns when it comes to him as well. The new Punisher with motorcycle set revealed at Toy Fair seemingly doesn't include any guns. Only a baseball bat and a machete.

They've even tried what they could do make some real guns look different, either coloring them in non-traditional colors (a chromed-out M4) or tweaking the mold ever-so-slightly so it doesn't look like a pistol or rifle it's supposed to be.

Not to mention A LOT of made-up guns they've created lately.

Back