EXO-6 Star Trek "General Discussion" 1/6 Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXO-6 will be putting up for sale some back in stock items Friday May 5th at 9AM PST.
Due to cancellations, lack of funds, etc. there are a few figures available. These are very limited so you must act quickly.
Below is just a sample of what may be available. Look for the next newsletter for all the offerings.
These will be immediate purchase, but please allow 4 weeks for delivery.

1683055041775.jpeg
1683055065679.jpeg
1683055081435.jpeg
1683055103995.jpeg

Tempted to get Chakotay since I’ll have a second chance. I’ll probably pass though as I just paid for my Enterprise E chair and need to pay off Archer soon. Plus I pre-ordered Harry Kim.

The licensing stuff is all very complicated and inconsistent. It all depends on what the actor contractually agreed to with the studio regarding their likeness. In some cases they may secured some seriously tight and costly rights and in other cases they may not have had much power to negotiate anything at the time for the posterity of their benefit. If things are nebulous - for example the studio never offered up any clear licensing rights for high end 1:6 scale figures - then the studio has to draw up new agreements to cover an incidental request and consider all of the relevant parties, like actors, who might come out of the woodwork to have a say. It's not a simple or desirable clerical situation for studios to entertain some small toy maker's desire to produce niche products of a decades old property for a small collector market. "What, tell us again how you want to make 500 dolls of a character from a 44 year old film that we are no longer are in contract talks wth the actor for? Sure, we'll get our legal department on that tomorrow."

The actors also likely need a manager to negotiate these things. I doubt Collins has any manager now or any negotiating power in the industry. However, if the studio sells his likeness and profits from it he may have some leverage to sue within certain reasonable assumptions and using past precedents about how actors' likeness rights are sold. All very speculative and hypothetical.

In some cases a film may have expired rights and go into public domain after about 50 years and then anything can happen. That doesn't mean anyone can make merchandise, but the rights for various elements of the film can go up for purchase in an open market. That's how Peter Jackson privately secured the cinematic rights to Lord of the Rings. Universal Studios spent decades struggling with this sellng the rights to their horror film characters, like Dracula and Frankenstein, while ignoring the estates of the families who owned the actor likeness rights. Those families were constantly battling Universal until they finally firmed up their position and secured their own place for the rights and compensation of specific likenesses. Even today you see specifically licensed Universal or Lugosi/Karloff merchandise, but to have the accurate likeness it takes both licensors approval.

So how does that speak to the question of a Collins Decker figure? Well, despite who he is and what he has done, he has a right to his likeness being used. What degree of negotiating power he has is unclear, although likely little, but he still has the right that the studio will likely not want to get involved in. Easier to just deny any request than waste resources entertaining it. Easier for the manufacturer to just go full 3rd party on this and make their figure under the radar without labeling it as anything related to Star Trek, Decker or Collins. That's how they did it in the past, but it's a bad approach now that they have some relationship with the studio and proper licensing protocols established. I don't see the point in even trying just to appease a tiny niche of interested collectors. Better to go with a fantastic Ilya figure using a newly developed body and see how Khambatta's estate responds.

The licensing stuff is all very complicated and inconsistent. It all depends on what the actor contractually agreed to with the studio regarding their likeness. In some cases they may secured some seriously tight and costly rights and in other cases they may not have had much power to negotiate anything at the time for the posterity of their benefit. If things are nebulous - for example the studio never offered up any clear licensing rights for high end 1:6 scale figures - then the studio has to draw up new agreements to cover an incidental request and consider all of the relevant parties, like actors, who might come out of the woodwork to have a say. It's not a simple or desirable clerical situation for studios to entertain some small toy maker's desire to produce niche products of a decades old property for a small collector market. "What, tell us again how you want to make 500 dolls of a character from a 44 year old film that we are no longer are in contract talks wth the actor for? Sure, we'll get our legal department on that tomorrow."

The actors also likely need a manager to negotiate these things. I doubt Collins has any manager now or any negotiating power in the industry. However, if the studio sells his likeness and profits from it he may have some leverage to sue within certain reasonable assumptions and using past precedents about how actors' likeness rights are sold. All very speculative and hypothetical.

In some cases a film may have expired rights and go into public domain after about 50 years and then anything can happen. That doesn't mean anyone can make merchandise, but the rights for various elements of the film can go up for purchase in an open market. That's how Peter Jackson privately secured the cinematic rights to Lord of the Rings. Universal Studios spent decades struggling with this sellng the rights to their horror film characters, like Dracula and Frankenstein, while ignoring the estates of the families who owned the actor likeness rights. Those families were constantly battling Universal until they finally firmed up their position and secured their own place for the rights and compensation of specific likenesses. Even today you see specifically licensed Universal or Lugosi/Karloff merchandise, but to have the accurate likeness it takes both licensors approval.

So how does that speak to the question of a Collins Decker figure? Well, despite who he is and what he has done, he has a right to his likeness being used. What degree of negotiating power he has is unclear, although likely little, but he still has the right that the studio will likely not want to get involved in. Easier to just deny any request than waste resources entertaining it. Easier for the manufacturer to just go full 3rd party on this and make their figure under the radar without labeling it as anything related to Star Trek, Decker or Collins. That's how they did it in the past, but it's a bad approach now that they have some relationship with the studio and proper licensing protocols established. I don't see the point in even trying just to appease a tiny niche of interested collectors. Better to go with a fantastic Ilya figure using a newly developed body and see how Khambatta's estate responds.
I wonder how many people would actually buy these to pose Decker & IIlia figures in a Tron-like, V'ger morph display? Not to divert, but all this talk got me to look the guy up and he never faced any charges and is living in Iowa and going to meditation meetings twice daily with his "7th Heaven super fan" wife, in case anyone wants to get his take. 🤔 :cautious:😲

decker-ilia.jpg

I dunno, much of what you say makes sense. But while I would expect a star like Shatner or Michelle Yeoh would have a great deal of power over their name, image and photograph on box art the further you get from the actor to the character the less likely claim an actor could have. You mention the Universal Monsters. While there are some very very accurate artistic representations of Boris Karloff as the Frankenstein monster, it is Universal that owns the rights to the art or makeup of the flat headed Frankenstein monster later worn by Lon Chaney Jr and Glenn Strange and Fred Gwynn as Herman Munster. I would say you could forget about any claim Lon Chaney Jr would have over “Wolfman”. So I’m not sure if Collins would have near the claim over a figure labeled Captain Decker in an art box not using his photograph . A somewhat generic blond blue eyed headsculpt in proper uniform might get by. I would presume Paramount owns the rights to the character name and uniform. —- but to be honest I don’t think EXO-6 will ever get as deep as some folks are asking and otherwise Nanjin would prioritize an Alien Race that otherwise would be represented by no other character other than Ilya.

Not to divert, but all this talk got me to look the guy up and he never faced any charges and is living in Iowa and going to meditation meetings twice daily with his "7th Heaven super fan" wife, in case anyone wants to get his take. 🤔 :cautious: 😲

No such thing as forgiveness or redemption anymore, even for those who confess their crimes and express remorse. Maybe he should have been punished, but he's been eternally cancelled.

Meanwhile...

HPXADFT.png

I don't want to derail this thread any further, and this shouldn't even need to be said, but no one who molested kids deserves any redemption or forgiveness, no matter how remorseful he's said he is. And he absolutely should have been punished. Convenient that the LAPD couldn't substantiate anything during their investigation, and then he confessed to the news media just a couple years later. If he was really so damn remorseful, he should have told the cops that those women were telling the truth about what he did to them when they were girls.

Anyway, there's going to be a lot of people looking for another shot at Kolinahr Spock, Kirk, and Seven of Nine. And there's going to be a lot of people disappointed after next week when this extra stock sells out in minutes. To all who have been hoping for this: I wish you good hunting.

Last edited:
Anyway, there's going to be a lot of people looking for another shot at Kolinahr Spock, Kirk, and Seven of Nine. And there's going to be a lot of people disappointed after next week when this extra stock sells out in minutes. To all who have been hoping for this: I wish you good hunting.
I'm half tempted to order from EXO-6 and cancel at SS. With the delays they'll refund everything.

I'm half tempted to order from EXO-6 and cancel at SS. With the delays they'll refund everything.
Has EXO-6's Customer Service improved? That and rewards points are the two main reasons I've been ordering from Sideshow. Eventually I'll run out of points.

Last edited:
I've been tempted to order from Sideshow as well because of the RPs but I've just stuck with ordering directly from EXO-6 and not risk missing out.

I've only ordered one figure outside of EXO-6 and that was FC Picard (from BBTS) at the beginning. Savings ended up being a few bucks and the delay just wasn't worth it, to me.

It's a bit frustrating to see some of these figures being put up for immediate purchase, when I've had Spock and Seven paid off at Sideshow for months, and still waiting for a shipping notice. Plus, still waiting for Chakotay from BBTS. At this point, I don't think I'll see Archer (also ordered from SS) until August...maybe.

Got the Enterprise E chair today. It’s fine enough. Not the most impressive piece in the collection and definitely not as cool as the TOS chair.

When I put Picard on the chair and as I was packing away his stand I got inspired to ditch all the stands. So my figures are all free standing now. Hoping I don’t have any accidents and regret it. Most of them seem pretty stable. The good thing in ditching the stands is it really saves a lot of space.

IMG_2604.jpeg
IMG_2603.jpeg

Got the Enterprise E chair today. It’s fine enough. Not the most impressive piece in the collection and definitely not as cool as the TOS chaor.

Just curious why you say not as cool as the TOS chair. If I remember correctly the QMX TOS chair MSRP was $ 125, quite a bit cheaper. While I’m not personally interested in purchasing the E chair, I would have expected it to be technically as good or better than the QMX chair. Similiar forthcoming pieces may be judged on this pieces quality.

Just curious why you say not as cool as the TOS chair. If I remember correctly the QMX TOS chair MSRP was $ 125, quite a bit cheaper. While I’m not personally interested in purchasing the E chair, I would have expected it to be technically as good or better than the QMX chair. Similiar forthcoming pieces may be judged on this pieces quality.
I wouldn’t say I’m entirely dissatisfied with the chair but it’s kind of the first piece I have where I question whether or not it was worth the price and if it was really needed in my collection.

It’s fine but there’s not really much to it. The presence isn’t there like with the TOS one. I also feel like the TOS one was a far better value. I only paid $50 for mine, but even the original price was more worth it in my honest opinion.

For whatever reason the TOS chair comes across a whole lot less plasticky than the FC one, at least from all the pics I've seen. And could easily pass for a premium collectible instead of just a figure accessory.

Although to be fair this is probably the best and only way the FC chair could have been produced.

The TOS chair just has a presence to it. It’s large and stands out. Also having it on the riser and being able to swivel it. The E chair kind of blends into the collection.

Back