Ebay winners not paying?????

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So great, got an auction ending in 4 hrs and my only bidder, a zero feedback new guy. Now I know we all started out with zero, so maybe this guy is above board, but with my last couple weeks of non-payers, this irks me. I did change my buyer requirement settings for future listings to:

Your buyer requirements have been updated. Block buyers who: Don't have a PayPal account. (Note: This block only applies to future listings and can be disabled per item on the Sell Your Item form.)
Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 1 Month(s).
Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 1 Month(s).
Have a feedback score of -1 or lower.

So great, got an auction ending in 4 hrs and my only bidder, a zero feedback new guy. Now I know we all started out with zero, so maybe this guy is above board, but with my last couple weeks of non-payers, this irks me. I did change my buyer requirement settings for future listings to:

Your buyer requirements have been updated. Block buyers who: Don't have a PayPal account. (Note: This block only applies to future listings and can be disabled per item on the Sell Your Item form.)
Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 1 Month(s).
Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 1 Month(s).
Have a feedback score of -1 or lower.

I'd cancel the bid and end the auction and relist it. BTW, "Have a feedback score of -1 or lower" still allows users with zero feedback to bid. :wink1:

I'd cancel the bid and end the auction and relist it. BTW, "Have a feedback score of -1 or lower" still allows users with zero feedback to bid. :wink1:

Yeah, I know. I had a nice early EST argument with a ebay rep about O feedback posters. There appears no way to block them and I guess in a way, since everyone starts out that way, I see their point, but it makes me nervous as hell. Well, the -1 and other safeguards at least keep the repeat offenders from bidding...

If a 0 feedback guy bids on one of my auctions, I'll do what Nam says--cancel his bid, but I won't end the auction. I just block him, send him an e-mail why, then let the auction continue.

I just got hosed by 2 different buyers recently who didn't pay. It's such a pain in the ass waiting for the whole resolution process to go through when guys clearly have no intention of paying. What a bunch of douches to do such a thing.

I also understand that folks have to start somewhere. . .they just aren't gonna start with me :D

Well this fool had 0 feedback when bidding on mine, my auction closed. Then he has all of a sudden a 1 feedback positive. I emailed the dude 2 times and was nice and explained that my auction said 24-48hrs payment is expected. No reply ever. I did the claim thing but at this point I am about done with Ebay. 3 non-buyers in 1 month on damn video games...it's not like I'm making money to begin with on the sales but then to have to relist and it's all a headache. I think I may just donate to goodwill and take a tax write off for 2011 taxes next year.

when i sell on ebay i check buyer must pay immediately so there's no misunderstandings.

I hope that lay away thing is a joke.

I've sold several hundred things on eBay, and have only had a small handful (maybe 10%) not pay. So all in all, not enough to keep me from using eBay or to resort to the instant pay requirement (which may put some off of buying who otherwise would). A hassle, but one of the things you open yourself up to when you get access to the massive, diverse marketplace that eBay caters to.

I've sold tons of stuff on eBay over several years, and it's only in the last year that I've had to deal with a few non paying winners. Err, losers.

I hope that lay away thing is a joke.

I've sold several hundred things on eBay, and have only had a small handful (maybe 10%) not pay. So all in all, not enough to keep me from using eBay or to resort to the instant pay requirement (which may put some off of buying who otherwise would). A hassle, but one of the things you open yourself up to when you get access to the massive, diverse marketplace that eBay caters to.

Yes and no. I had a guy who won a figure for $600. He wanted to make payments of $50 a month (a year to pay off a ____ing figure) and ebay actually sent me a couple emails encouraged me to work with him despite me stating that payment must be received within 3 days of auction's close in the description. I declined, sent ebay an email asking if I could pay my final value fees over 12 months but still have full selling privileges (SURPRISE!!! They said no.), and filed the non-paying bidder alert regardless. :lol

It all depends on what I'm selling and time of the year. I mean summer you got people on vacation and they may bid on a Mon, disappear for a couple days and then pay. That's why I have limited and honestly only the last 2 months have been really bad with non-payers.

I give folks 4 days to pay. I figure that's sufficient to account for those situations.

I declined, sent ebay an email asking if I could pay my final value fees over 12 months but still have full selling privileges (SURPRISE!!! They said no.), and filed the non-paying bidder alert regardless. :lol
:rotfl

Out of 80 auctions that I have had in the last year, numbers 1-78 went off with nearly zero issues.

numbers 79 and 80 both did not pay.

I sent them messages asking when I could expect the payment and one wrote back that his son bid on the auction while he was away for work and he could not pay. The other was just a no-show after the auction. Gonna open cases on both of them.

Out of 80 auctions that I have had in the last year, numbers 1-78 went off with nearly zero issues.

I sent them messages asking when I could expect the payment and one wrote back that his son bid on the auction while he was away for work and he could not pay. The other was just a no-show after the auction. Gonna open cases on both of them.

Check the feedback. Every time I get this, it's usually a liar and their feedback shows they've bought the same or similar ____ in the past. I file non-paying bidder alerts regardless. Even if it's true, his inability to prevent his son from logging into his account shouldn't cost you listing fees. You should never have to pay for someone else's mistakes.

ha! you had your own...my son did the bidding on my computer excuse...

I got that once myself, and actually allowed a mutual "parties agree to cancel" deal so he/she wouldn't get dinged as a non-paying bidder. Guess I know better now :lol

I really hate people who bid on my auctions take 4 days to pay and then start sending tons of emails why I didn't mail out the package the next day straightway.

Its tough selling on Ebay now. I wish another company would decide to take them on but places like Half.com or Ioffer is just too full of scams.

Another tip, if the bidder keeps asking lots of questions, block them, cause they will be a problem after the auction. :lol

Another tip, if the bidder keeps asking lots of questions, block them, cause they will be a problem after the auction. :lol
Yeah, that tends to be a red flag. I just shipped one item to a guy who asked too many questions for my liking. I'm hoping for the best, but anticipating the worst :lol

Back