Ebay winners not paying?????

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveo

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've recently sold 15 things on Ebay, and of 7 of them, the winners have not paid or even contacted me! What's the deal? Has anyone else had this many problems recently?

Don't bid if you can't/won't pay. And all Ebay does is gives them a mark that doesn't show anywhere and I can't even leave feedback! It's ridiculous!

It's been awhile since I sold on eBay, but buyers can pretty much do what they want since you can't leave negative feedback. :mad:

How long have the auctions been ended? I have been selling a lot of stuff on ebay lately but I have had very little problem with this. I always wait the week that ebay gives automatically in the auction and then I send a very friendly reminder. So far, I have not had to go farther then this.

Right now I do have quite a few auctions that are not paid. But most of them are only a couple of days old and the buyer on the others has let me know that he is trying to win more of my auctions.

I have told ebay that I find them to be way to friendly to the buyers. And they told me that they make changes based on feedback from buyers and sellers. So let them know how you feel.

They explained to me that they made some of the buyer-friendly rules they have right now because too many buyers were getting ripped off. And I certainly know that as a buyer, I lost around 5 or 6 hundred dollars to scammer sellers over a few years.

So even though I think their rules are too lopsided to the buyers and that 12% between ebay and paypal is four ridiculous to charge for an auction, I willl keep using them until I finish what I am trying to accomplish right now, but then I am going to stop selling on ebay. I will keep buying, though as they are very buyer-friendly.

It's been awhile since I sold on eBay, but buyers can pretty much do what they want since you can't leave negative feedback. :mad:

Completely agree. I still sell on eBay and luckily have not had a lot of issues, but I definitely have more buyers that flake out than in the past. Removing negative feedback for buyers was an idiotic idea.

eBay is great if you're a buyer, but sellers are getting more and more crap the most recent of which is eBay taking a percentage of shipping fees.

I've recently sold 15 things on Ebay, and of 7 of them, the winners have not paid or even contacted me! What's the deal? Has anyone else had this many problems recently?

Don't bid if you can't/won't pay. And all Ebay does is gives them a mark that doesn't show anywhere and I can't even leave feedback! It's ridiculous!

Had 2 out of 3 recent auctions have winners that did not pay or communicate. Utterly ridiculous. Ebay shafts the sellers (particularly new ones) in all kinds of ways and it's the buyers that are making the Ebay experience unpleasant. Now I have no sympathy for sellers who sale knock offs, gouge prices or sale pre-orders (really?), but buyers are really the protected side on Ebay. I've had to deal directly with Ebay to get a lot resolved and they are always talking about looking out for the buyer. And then they add fees for Final Value Shipping, if you list a shipping price instead of FREE SHIPPING. Ebay rep told me, we did this to encourage people to list items with FREE SHIPPING. Also, their percentage of a small dollar product is borderline criminal. On a $3.00 video game sale, is .50 cents really necessary? And then you get Paypal charging .45 cents. Then shipping is 2 bucks. it's like you make a 80 cent profit. Oh yes, of course I could list something at .99 and hope there is a bidding frenzy but there rarely is on the items I sale (video games). Or I could jack the price up to 6-7 bucks and free shipping which is what I've done now...

Completely agree. I still sell on eBay and luckily have not had a lot of issues, but I definitely have more buyers that flake out than in the past. Removing negative feedback for buyers was an idiotic idea.

eBay is great if you're a buyer, but sellers are getting more and more crap the most recent of which is eBay taking a percentage of shipping fees.

I hate this but I have to admit that I would have done the same if I were ebay. Sellers were posting astronomical shipping fees and letting the auctions end at small prices to skirt the ebay fee.

But I certainly would not be taking 12% of the overall between ebay and paypal.

All you can do is wait for the waiting period to pass, and then you can file a non-paying bidder case (options should be there in your Selling page).

Once eBay decides on the case based on the evidences & communications presented, they will put an Unpaid Item Strike on the bidder, and you will be refunded to an extent of your selling cost.

Because of the Unpaid Item Strike (which nobody can see) already on the bidder's account, you can't put a negative feedback on him/her (that sucks!). I think if the bidder reaches 3 Unpaid Item Strikes, his eBay account will be closed automatically.

i sell a lot on eBay. Basically i state in all my auction that they have 5 days to pay. More than enough time for someone to pay. If they dont pay, you file an UNPAID item after 4 days after the auction has ended. Usually makes the buyer pay right away when that happens. then eBay gives them 4 days to pay. if you dont get payment, you need to close the UNPAID item case and you get any fees back and you can re-list the item. You dont lose anything, just that you have to re-list the item and hope you get the same price. You can also make 2nd-Chance offers to others who had bid on the item. Ive done that a few times and the 2nd-chance people do wind up buying the item.

And if i get a buyer who doesnt pay, I put him on my BLOCKED list so that he/she cannot bid on my auctions again.

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of this. I even put in a 48-72hr payment clause as really, unless a person is on vacation, who isn't going to pay in a day or so. Now because of some schmuck who won over a week ago but never paid and never replied back to my emails, and because I was without access to file an unpaid claim within the time period, he or she can actually leave me negative feedback since out of the blue last night they paid me through paypal and I had already relisted and sold it. I refunded their money and still took a hit on it due to Paypal's fees and only partial coming back to me.

It's happened to me a few times. I'd say 3/5 times the people do not pay. I always have to contact ebay about it because if you don't, they still charge you a fee for selling it, even though you didn't get paid.

All you can do is wait for the waiting period to pass, and then you can file a non-paying bidder case (options should be there in your Selling page).

Once eBay decides on the case based on the evidences & communications presented, they will put an Unpaid Item Strike on the bidder, and you will be refunded to an extent of your selling cost.

Because of the Unpaid Item Strike (which nobody can see) already on the bidder's account, you can't put a negative feedback on him/her (that sucks!). I think if the bidder reaches 3 Unpaid Item Strikes, his eBay account will be closed automatically.

You're correct, I was on the phone with an Ebay rep this morning.

^^^ I have dealt with numerous eBay non-paying bidders for my items. All you can really do is block the eBay member so that they don't bid for your auctions again in the future.

It just becomes bad if there is an actual bidding-war going on, and the non-paying bidder wins. The bidder who loses the auction might really want the item, so after he/she loses the item, he/she looks for another item from a different seller. When you give them the 2nd-chance offer, they already had the item bought from a different seller. That's where it sucks, because you lost the opportunity to sell! :slap

^^^ I have dealt with numerous eBay non-paying bidders for my items. All you can really do is block the eBay member so that they don't bid for your auctions again in the future.

It just becomes bad if there is an actual bidding-war going on, and the non-paying bidder wins. The bidder who loses the auction might really want the item, so after he/she loses the item, he/she looks for another item from a different seller. When you give them the 2nd-chance offer, they already had the item bought from a different seller. That's where it sucks, because you lost the opportunity to sell! :slap

Yeah, 2/3 items are still not sold after being sold to non-paying bidders...

I hate this but I have to admit that I would have done the same if I were ebay. Sellers were posting astronomical shipping fees and letting the auctions end at small prices to skirt the ebay fee.

But I certainly would not be taking 12% of the overall between ebay and paypal.

I understand that, but it was a pretty small minority jacking up shipping prices and they could easily have shut them down. Hell is it unreasonable to set a cap on shipping fees based on the type of item? But rather than do that they pretend this move was a way to make eBay fair while taking 9% of all shipping fees.

I don't make money off of shipping, but now I'm expected to loose money? That's BS... but eBay and Paypal are the only viable game in town so I deal with it.

This is why i always use the "Buy it Now" option only,i got tired of idiots that wasted my time.

I've had the same problem with buyers recently. Very frustrating. And I agree, the fact that ebay charges a percentage of the shipping cost is ridiculous especially when it's an international sale and shipping is $35+.

All my ebay sales when dealing with high end items are "immediate payment".. now I don't worry anymore. Seems that did the trick for me, but I try not to do ebay that often.

No way! the robbing bas*£"$ds

about 60% of stuff i have sold on ebay , i had to relist it because of delinquent buyers . Its very aggravating

I understand that, but it was a pretty small minority jacking up shipping prices and they could easily have shut them down. Hell is it unreasonable to set a cap on shipping fees based on the type of item? But rather than do that they pretend this move was a way to make eBay fair while taking 9% of all shipping fees.

I don't make money off of shipping, but now I'm expected to loose money? That's BS... but eBay and Paypal are the only viable game in town so I deal with it.

Although I agree with you, that approach is not conducive to making money. And at the end of the day...that is what it is all about.

What I find to be funny is that people are still doing it.

I don't remember what item it was, but I just saw a completed listing that went for like 20.00 and had a 200 or 300 dollar shipping charge.

I remember once I quoted honest international shipping that was like 50-60 dollars and I got a warning from ebay about unreasonable shipping.

Back