Ebay Selling Experience. Scammed and threatened by themarvelousfind

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKing

Super Freak
Reaction score
I sold an item to this person. He was in a rush to receive it, and I thought nothing of it. It was Back to the Future Diamond Select Car for reference.

He received a brand new item, never opened as I am the original owner. He tells me I switched out the item, then proceeded to describe a different item than the one I sold. He was referring to the entertainment earth exclusive which I never listed. He mentioned fire effects and a different paint and so on.

Of course I sent a message to ebay and ebay does their best to avoid reading my response and the buyer is at fault for purchasing the wrong item and the buyer attempted to extort me. I sent ebay the link to the item the buyer was referring too and the threats he sent me. But this is ebay we are talking about.

It doesn't end there. He sent me another email, demanding I give him the product free, and refund him or he will leave me a bad rating/report me on social media. He even gave me the time in which I should give him the option I choose.

*I hope it is okay to share the second message where he makes the claims and gives me "options." He copied and pasted this and sent it to ebay, minus the convenient parts where he breaks ebays rules.

I gave the benefit of the doubt, maybe I did something wrong, but then he threatened me with the above. I started to think, he probably had a broken down version and is going to swap. I have not received the return as of yet but, needed to voice my frustration.

The worst part it, ebay had my funds on hold, I needed to pay for things and because of this my finds weren't enough to cover my expenses. It's my fault for not planning better and putting my funds into other things like everyone else. I thought I was safe and budgeted, as this person has a good rating.

I think to myself, what did I do wrong in life? Good times huh. I just wanted to warn people to look out for him.

Attachments

• screenshot-mesg.ebay.com-2022.09.05-15_02_14.png
    screenshot-mesg.ebay.com-2022.09.05-15_02_14.png
    486.7 KB · Views: 5
Sorry to hear about this. This is exactly why I have sort of been scared away from selling on eBay. Seems more and more buyers are trying to scam sellers especially when it comes to more costly collectibles. I would consider that you film yourself boxing up the items. Either have a friend video you doing so or just set up your phone set up, so that you video the whole thing with clear views of the item as well as the shipping label etc. It's a lot to go through especially if you're just trying to get it out the door. But it could save you when/if a buyer is trying to scam you.

I even had a seller try to scam me. They posted only official product pics in their listing saying it was b/c the item was brand new and sealed and then I received obviously opened and used items one of which was missing parts AND had african american wrist pegs for a caucasian character. Thankfully, I had pics and videos and sent those to eBay so there was no way the seller could refute what they sent me.

It's sad that you have to go through so much just so you won't get scammed by someone trying to get something for free.

Sorry to hear about this. This is exactly why I have sort of been scared away from selling on eBay. Seems more and more buyers are trying to scam sellers especially when it comes to more costly collectibles. I would consider that you film yourself boxing up the items. Either have a friend video you doing so or just set up your phone set up, so that you video the whole thing with clear views of the item as well as the shipping label etc. It's a lot to go through especially if you're just trying to get it out the door. But it could save you when/if a buyer is trying to scam you.

I even had a seller try to scam me. They posted only official product pics in their listing saying it was b/c the item was brand new and sealed and then I received obviously opened and used items one of which was missing parts AND had african american wrist pegs for a caucasian character. Thankfully, I had pics and videos and sent those to eBay so there was no way the seller could refute what they sent me.

It's sad that you have to go through so much just so you won't get scammed by someone trying to get something for free.
Yeah....that's another option. Film myself packaging it up. I don't have space on my phone due to nature of my job. Buying another phone is a 300 dollar or so investment....and I am at the low end.

It does suck that it happened. The worst part is he WILL get away with it. I did some reading about ebay afterwards and the gist is, ebay does not care. Even if the buyer broke the rules, described a different item, threatened me, ebay will do what ebay does.

I myself always send photos from packaging - placing item into box, packing the art-box into protective bubble wrap, placing it into shipping box and adding protective layers. He has chance to write if he does not like something (I usually sell through facebook, so I add photos during packing into messanger) - but it would work even when sending through e-mail or ebay. If he did not like something in the photos, he had chance to say so before shipping, so there is no saying that he received different item. It also has the benefit of showing the buyer that item is properly packed, so he does not say that I did bad job packing. Photos can also serve in possible insurance claim, if item arrives damaged or destroyed.

I myself always send photos from packaging - placing item into box, packing the art-box into protective bubble wrap, placing it into shipping box and adding protective layers. He has chance to write if he does not like something (I usually sell through facebook, so I add photos during packing into messanger) - but it would work even when sending through e-mail or ebay. If he did not like something in the photos, he had chance to say so before shipping, so there is no saying that he received different item. It also has the benefit of showing the buyer that item is properly packed, so he does not say that I did bad job packing. Photos can also serve in possible insurance claim, if item arrives damaged or destroyed.
It' s also the way he handled it. Threatening to give it to him for free....refund and keep the item or else he will leave me a bad review. He did leave the bad review btw.

I am learning though. Photos, show it to the buyer to confirm and he is okay with the packing and to protect myself. Sometimes you doon't realize what to do, till after it happens. Natural human instinct to let your guard down.

End of the story...he never sent the item back and ebay released my funds finally. I cannot leave a bad review for him since he paid.

What an awful person this guy was. A scumbag.

We all have bad thoughts, but always chose honesty because we can place ourselves in the shoes of others...hence we do not perform evil actions.

I think, if I cheat this person, how will it affect his life? Maybe he needs the money.

I am glad it's over and I am making good money again because I started teaching again.

Back