Cooltoyreview Watchmen reveal!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing that worries me is the blank Smiley Face button.

Hot Toys would have to pay the Smiley face company to use it.

I guess they left it blank to save money.
Shouldn't be to hard to add the face.

Smiley has been a registered trademark in some countries since 1971 when French journalist Franklin Loufrani created "Smiley World" to sell, advertise and license the smiley face image in the United Kingdom and Europe. The Smiley name and logo is registered and used in over 100 countries for 25 classes of goods and services. Loufrani has created the icon in 1971 to highlight good news in newspaper articles.[2]

In 1999, Harvey Ball formed World Smile Corporation and began licensing the smiley face to fund his undiscovered charitable causes. Profits are distributed to charities through the Harvey Ball World Smile Foundation, which also sponsors the annual World Smile Day Ball started in 1999 to encourage "acts of kindness."[3]

In 2006 Wal-Mart, which prominently featured a smiley in its "Rolling Back Prices" campaign, sought to trademark the smiley face in the United States, coming into legal conflict with Loufrani and Smiley World over the matter.[4][5] In 2006 Wal-mart began to phase out the smiley face on its vests[6] and its website. [7] During a trademark infringement case against an online parodist, Wal-Mart again tried to claim it held the trademark rights to the yellow smiley face. In March 2008, Wal-Mart lost the case and the judge stated in his decision that Wal-Mart did not own rights to the smiley face.[8]

In 2008, the Russian entrepeneur Oleg Teterin, president of the mobile phone company Superfone, claimed a trademark for the emoticon smiley that included ownership of ;-) and closely related smileys. He says he does not intend to go after individual users, but rather intends for companies who plan to use the emoticons to pay him royalties.[9]

In 2009 Loufrani lost his case in the EU when he tried to register the right half of the Smiley-mouth as a separate trademark

I thought there was something that allowed the smiley face button to be used on Comedian figures. I think the DCD ones had it. I think they just couldn't make a smiley face button seperately from the figure (ie a life size one).

I thought there was something that allowed the smiley face button to be used on Comedian figures. I think the DCD ones had it. I think they just couldn't make a smiley face button seperately from the figure (ie a life size one).

I'm not sure, but I guess DC/WB already had the rights to use it for merchandising before the movie came out.

Hot Toys would have to pay the Smiley face company to use it.

Warner Bros already worked that out with the Smiley folks. It was allowed to be used with the Comedian's buttons and the guns but nothing more. That is why the Doomsday Clock was substituted on merchandising sans the Comedian's personal things. I would imagine this is a proto which is why it isn't complete.

He looks great!

Still want Rorschach more, but I'll definitely get this guy. Love the armor...

HT-WatchmenComedianCTRexclusive-tn.jpg

https://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/front/CTR_Exclusive_First_Look_At_Hot_Toys_Comedian_127570.asp

Wish I had more for you... But soon I'll have more information to pass on.

MYATT!!! You're killing me. :D

Back