**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was Solo actually good? I still haven't watched it. :lol I tried once, on an airplane, but I fell asleep.

Reva says she played dead beside her fellow padawans so I assume she escaped the temple, and lived off Coruscant's streets for a bit before they finally found her.
I love Solo, it’s the best of the Disney movies imo. It’s just a fun ride.

Agreed with the sentiment that Solo, while not strictly necessary, is a fine movie. As far as I could tell it managed not to **** with anything in the OT. I'm almost afraid to ask someone to correct me if I'm wrong about that. But to me the only expectation it subverted was my assumption that Solo was his actual surname.

Agreed with the sentiment that Solo, while not strictly necessary, is a fine movie. As far as I could tell it managed not to **** with anything in the OT. I'm almost afraid to ask someone to correct me if I'm wrong about that. But to me the only expectation it subverted was my assumption that Solo was his actual surname.

That was the only thing they did really mess up and retcon.

The second thing I'd have changed is toning down L3-37, and its voice because Phoebe Waller-Bridge was annoying. The droid's sentiment goes to back to 1977, so I have no issue with that. They knew they were slaves, though some were treated better than others.

Apart from that Solo felt like stepping back into the past in a way that no other film managed, not even the mighty Rogue One since it had a different tone.

That was the only thing they did really mess up and retcon.
At this point, does it even matter anymore? :lol Star Wars is one big dumpster fire under Disney.
dumpsterfire-dumpster.gif

2/3 of that is **** retcons from ROTJ retroactively projected onto innocent ol' ANH and ESB, and 1/3 of that is the normal dream-like coincidence that defines movies.

The conveniences in OWK are within scene - ie we've just seen Vader pull down a ship.... why can't he pull down the other one? The Jedi cellphone with Bail's critical reveal is dropped in a huge hangar... but happens to be within a few feet of Reva... who's just survived a lightsaber impalement.

There's a difference. It's the reason no one ever really questioned the ANH stuff whereas this OWK stuff comes up immediately. The story of ANH is incredibly powerful - the story in OWK has little tension or power.

Weak storytelling and truly BAD directing is what has defined this show. Oh except, look guys... ANGRY VADER IS BACK WITH MORE POWERS THAN EVER! 😬
We’ve seen this baseball player just hit a home run. Why can’t he hit another one?

The Jedi cell phone contrivances are annoying that’s for sure. And yes lightsaber impalement seems fine as long as you’re a dark sider apparently. Though some speculate Reva was impaled by Anakin during Operation Knightfall.

Anakin survived being butchered and burned alive to the point his lungs and trachea were scorched. Poor Qui-gon was doomed as a light side user I guess. Maul also survived being bisected. So I guess there is canon precedent that dark side users can survive more lethal injuries due to their unwillingness to die.

Lol the tired argument that the OT is less scrutinized because it so special and powerful. That’s all just nostalgia and rose colored glasses. The plot holes, costume/scene incongruousness, retcons it’s all there but considered fun and almost endearing weirdly. Thankfully each new generation can see the cracks as they appreciate movies/shows that they hold near or in greater esteem.

What’s weird is, when I was a kid, Vader had an iconic presence by simply standing there, ordering people around. He always seemed like a master tactician/negotiator in my eyes, more so than a physical presence. I never needed to see him go full ham with force powers or wield a lightsaber in every scene to be impressed by him. Some of the most stand out scenes are him in Empire just conspiring. He didn’t even even have to raise a finger for Lando to **** his pants.

Less is more I think.
What are you talking about? ANH already presented him as a sorcerer and enforcer through dialogue and actions. A master negotiator and tactician? He only speaks in the Death Star meeting because he has to provide retorts about the force when he feels insulted and then chokes an officer. Of course he’s not going to use his lightsaber against Imps but he certainly uses the force constantly through force choke. I guess you forget that Lucas added new force abilities each film so of course they continue becoming more flashy.

Lando wasn’t entirely afraid of Vader though he certainly felt uneasy but it didn’t stop him from defying him. Vader is cold and calculating most of the time but he is impatient and brash when he feels the need or wants something badly. We see this in Empire all the time. We see this in the prequels and we see this in OBK.

Part of the silliness of all this is attributable to Lucas. When he wanted Maul revived, he and Filoni came up with the idea that it was "hate" which kept him alive. Yes, you read that right. :lol

I suspect that's why the story group is having dark side users survive impalement while lightsiders like Qui-Gon actually die from seemingly identical circumstances.

The crazy thing is that people at Lucasfilm seem to have a command of the lore created by the later (inferior) version of Lucas but oblivious to fundamental lore that he started it all with in the OT. :dunno
Hate also kept Vader alive. Sorry you don’t like the explanation but dark siders surviving lethal injuries has been around forever. Look up Darth Sion too who has been so deconstructed over time from injuries that his body is only held together by his will and the force.

It might... But remaking the OT would be the fault of both George Lucas and Disney. I have always been able to say that is all ended with ROTJ. The ST does nothing to really impact the OT. But if I want to enjoy any new SW content, I have to watch the Disney shows

This show / BOBF and the PT have retconned so much of the OT that there is no flow to the story anymore. :(

The ST does not change anything enough to make me think the OT might get a Remake. But the way these shows / movies play loose with the fact of the original story makes me think they almost want to do a remake so the stories will all flow together.

Having said all that. I separate it all. OT is the OT.

The PT and the Obi Wan / BOBF series are their own thing, and the ST is its own thing.

I can find things in all of it to enjoy, but for the OT to be pure, I have to separate it all.
There is no pure OT. Star Wars has always been a convoluted mess of contrivances held together with special effects and action set pieces. Haven’t you heard of the ANH ESB purists? To them they don’t believe in episode numbers because PT started that and ANH is just called Star Wars. They don’t even count ROTJ as canon. ;p

Last edited:
I love that Reva is at the mercy of the two people she betrayed and literally tried to assassinate and they're just like k bye. Or I guess arrivederci!

That was my immediate thought as well. I knew they probably wouldn't go with the scissor decapitation based on what we've heard about the plot through spoilers but if that was the case, they just shouldn't have set it up for that. That's the really dumb part.
No point setting it up with no intention of not executing it. 👎

We’ve seen this baseball player just hit a home run. Why can’t he hit another one?

The Jedi cell phone contrivances are annoying that’s for sure. And yes lightsaber impalement seems fine as long as you’re a dark sider apparently. Though some speculate Reva was impaled by Anakin during Operation Knightfall.

Anakin survived being butchered and burned alive to the point his lungs and trachea were scorched. Poor Qui-gon was doomed as a light side user I guess. Maul also survived being bisected. So I guess there is canon precedent that dark side users can survive more lethal injuries due to their unwillingness to die.

Lol the tired argument that the OT is less scrutinized because it so special and powerful. That’s all just nostalgia and rose colored glasses. The plot holes, costume/scene incongruousness, retcons it’s all there but considered fun and almost endearing weirdly. Thankfully each new generation can see the cracks as they appreciate movies/shows that they hold near or in greater esteem.
I believe what you meant about the OT is "deep, mythic storytelling that will endure for centuries" and "a hypnotic cultural bullseye that goes to the deepest levels of the social unconscious" and "so immersive and compelling in character, world and story that any inconsistencies/plot holes don't even register (only apparent when the spell is temporarily lifted.)"

None of which applies to nearly all the non-OT material.

It's really pretty simple: there's Star Wars... and then there's the stuff with "Star Wars" written on it.:dunno

Sloppy episode punctuated by a few cool moments. Jesus, this show looks and feels so damn cheap. I enjoyed seeing Anakin and Obi Wan sparring, and I'm annoyed that is most likely the only flashback we'll see. I was hoping they'd expand on Obi Wan and Anakins comradery, something I didn't feel was shown anywhere near enough in the PT. I think they should have had flashbacks in each episode that could have built a storyline that runs parallel to the main story, with the climax of the flashbacks having a major impact on the main story. It should have been a deep psycological and emotional battle for both Obi Wan and Vader.
Instead we get Obi Wan baby sitting a 10 year old and a villain that looks like she's about to demand to speak to Obi-Wan's manager. Like BoBF, this series is full of lots and lots of missed opportunities.

Back