1/6 Batman 1989: Batmobile Collectible Vehicle - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot toys openly admitted they sold the 89’batmobile at a loss. Limited run of 850 pieces & it cost them $180 for each one sold.
Perhaps they have refined the cost & the build on the vehicles but I very much think this was a one of deal with hot toys just to prove a point.
& it worked.

Hot toys openly admitted they sold the 89’batmobile at a loss. Limited run of 850 pieces & it cost them $180 for each one sold.
Perhaps they have refined the cost & the build on the vehicles but I very much think this was a one of deal with hot toys just to prove a point.
& it worked.
I was not aware of how low the run was. Thanks for the info.

Looking at the price that people are willing to pay for collectibles these days I think Hot Toys could probably sell out a reissue of this at a higher price to avoid losses an actually make a profit.

All the r&d and tooling is done. Surely a second run wouldn't cost them the same.

Why would they sell something at such a loss? I'm not disputing the figures but how/ why did it get the green light at all?

So, with Hot Toys reissuing other vehicular lately like the Tumbler and the DeLorean, what do you guys think are the chances of them reissuing this beast once The Flash movie comes out?
I'd say very high. The Delorean was the holy grail of HT reissues, with people claiming inside knowledge that it won't happen so if that's proven otherwise anything's possible.

Besides, we already know the car is in the upcoming movie in in some capacity.

Based on the chatter in the DeLorean thread, seems Jazzinc was in talks with Universal when Hot Toys decided to finally put it up for preorder. Jazzinc already has the license for the Flash movie version and if it includes the original 2 seater, I doubt HT will touch this again.

Based on the chatter in the DeLorean thread, seems Jazzinc was in talks with Universal when Hot Toys decided to finally put it up for preorder. Jazzinc already has the license for the Flash movie version and if it includes the original 2 seater, I doubt HT will touch this again.
Did not know Jazzinc already had the license for the Flash movie version. Looking forward to see what he does with it.

& it worked.

850 pieces… it makes sense. It was so hard to get one here back to 2013.
But I can’t understand how after have released the Tumbler, HT failed so much about manufacturing costs to sell at lost.
You mean the real sell price would have been 700-750$?
HT wasn’t already newbie in the business at that time…?

Wow 850 is a really small amount, I did not expect that, that’s so crazy. Glad I got one. I do wonder if they’ll add anything new if they ever reissue one. Be nice if they can offer something like the bat missile. Prob as a separate piece if it ever happens.

My little
Collection

Attachments

• 084F58B5-C632-44EE-B310-DB7A976C82B4.jpeg
    084F58B5-C632-44EE-B310-DB7A976C82B4.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 71
  • C26D25A4-BA8F-4B1A-8B86-B8E7E1037D3C.jpeg
    C26D25A4-BA8F-4B1A-8B86-B8E7E1037D3C.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 8B34CEE8-BE6D-4203-B977-17710034E6F3.jpeg
    8B34CEE8-BE6D-4203-B977-17710034E6F3.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 05F28067-DF43-406E-BC13-2E45581E7E01.jpeg
    05F28067-DF43-406E-BC13-2E45581E7E01.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 92989817-2402-4BF7-A0DA-CD1EEAFD5806.jpeg
    92989817-2402-4BF7-A0DA-CD1EEAFD5806.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 71

I bounce on what was announced on the batmobile 2022 thread concerning the 89 Batmobile , I thought it would be more appropriate to answer here.
Great news for those who had to sell their HT version or missed it.
it might change things. no need to pay the high price on the secondary market.
now for those who paid like me the retail price (590€), as nice and accurate as it will be, will Joost's version be worth the effort of selling the HT and buy something almost three times the price? ( 600 vs 1500)
while knowing that once the joost’s version announced , it will be more complicated to resell the HT...
Will the game be worth the candle?

Last edited:
Well...the Hot Toys '89 Batmobile is a beautiful piece, but there's definitely room for improvement:
  • More accurate turbine
  • Accurately painted rims
  • Improved paint job with more durable finish than HT scratch-prone plastic
  • Accurate canopy
  • Possibly a slightly lower profile overall in terms of the chassis lines
Seems pretty obvious that a Jazz Inc. version has the opportunity to be superior, all these years later.

Yeah undoubtedly, and I 100% agree.
But having the HT version at retail sounds nowadays a so good deal that, as huge fan I’m of Batman 89, I don’t know if I could do the effort of putting 3 times the price…
Wait and see…;)

Well...the Hot Toys '89 Batmobile is a beautiful piece, but there's definitely room for improvement:
  • More accurate turbine
  • Accurately painted rims
  • Improved paint job with more durable finish than HT scratch-prone plastic
  • Accurate canopy
  • Possibly a slightly lower profile overall in terms of the chassis lines
Seems pretty obvious that a Jazz Inc. version has the opportunity to be superior, all these years later.
How about interior seats that don't look like Barbie's Dream Car and a light switch that doesn't require disassembling the back half of the car while leaving fingerprints all over it? :p

I bounce on what was announced on the batmobile 2022 thread concerning the 89 Batmobile , I thought it would be more appropriate to answer here.
Great news for those who had to sell their HT version or missed it.
it might change things. no need to pay the high price on the secondary market.
now for those who paid like me the retail price (590€), as nice and accurate as it will be, will Joost's version be worth the effort of selling the HT and buy something almost three times the price? ( 600 vs 1500)
while knowing that once the joost’s version announced , it will be more complicated to resell the HT...
Will the game be worth the candle?

The only way you'll make any money to fund J's version will be to sell that thing locally. No shipping or eBay fees.

S&H rates are ridiculous, and so are fees. If it was me though, I'd be happy with the HT one. Sure, J's will likely be "better" but it wouldn't be worth the hassle for me. No sir.

Be glad you paid what you paid for it back in the day (I did too). Unfortunately, I was broke at one point and all my dollies had to go, vehicles included.

God damn it those were the days,

Thanks man for these wise words.

It’s always the same problem with this hobby. We always want « more ». Nicer, more accurate, the newest and at the end always more expensive forgetting to enjoy what we already have and that we’re lucky to get all these marvelous toys.
We are always influenced by other’s collection but it’s becoming a very expensive hobby by these days. We simply can’t have everything.

And I feel really sorry for you that you had to trade your collection.
Sincerely wish you better days!
;)

Last edited:
Back