1/6th Scale Sideshow Boba Fett Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After piecing this figure together from various sources the last several weeks, here is what I consider the ultimate kit-bashed Boba Fett. When my Medicom ESB Fett started crumbling about a year ago, I was really looking forward to Sideshow's version to eventually replace it. But, when the final product was met with some disappointment, I decided to see if it was possible to cobble together a Boba Fett made up of the best parts of what has already been produced to date.

964b9ca1.jpg

cca28145.jpg

719d05e1.jpg

1f65d4fc.jpg

For the curious, here's the final breakdown:

Medicom:
– head/helmet
– shoulder pads, chest armor & vest
– neck collar (cut from the original Medicom suit!)
– Wookiee braids
– gauntlets (the Sideshow ones were better detailed but too short)
– codpiece
– knee pads (glued with SSC darts to replace the broken ones)
– boots

Sideshow:
– rifle
– cape
– rocket backpack
– jumpsuit
– utility belt (customized so both pouches have the proper left-sided flaps)
– side holster & pistol
– hands (with trimmed wrist pegs)
– shin tools

Hot Toys:
– slim Truetype body (from Captain America Red Skull figure)
– ankle pegs & feet

bbi:
– G3 neck (the only way I could get that Medicom head to fit onto a Hot Toys body)

I apologize if this post is better suited to the Customs section. But since this figure is still made up of about 50% Sideshow parts, I thought some folks would appreciate seeing it here.
now thats a super job,i am planning something similar once my SSc boba arrives.where can i get that G3 neck??never heard of that,maybe you can help

After piecing this figure together from various sources the last several weeks, here is what I consider the ultimate kit-bashed Boba Fett. When my Medicom ESB Fett started crumbling about a year ago, I was really looking forward to Sideshow's version to eventually replace it. But, when the final product was met with some disappointment, I decided to see if it was possible to cobble together a Boba Fett made up of the best parts of what has already been produced to date.

964b9ca1.jpg

cca28145.jpg

719d05e1.jpg

1f65d4fc.jpg

Medicom:
– head/helmet
– Wookiee braids
– codpiece
– boots

Sideshow:
– rifle
– cape
– rocket backpack
– jumpsuit
– side holster & pistol
– shin tools

Hot Toys:
– ankle pegs & feet

bbi:
– G3 neck (the only way I could get that Medicom head to fit onto a Hot Toys body)

I apologize if this post is better suited to the Customs section. But since this figure is still made up of about 50% Sideshow parts, I thought some folks would appreciate seeing it here.

:yess: Best Boba ever, well done!

now thats a super job,i am planning something similar once my SSc boba arrives.where can i get that G3 neck??never heard of that,maybe you can help

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I got that neck piece on eBay, but noticed that Toy Anxiety has a very similar piece at https://www.toyanxiety.com/perfectionkiller-neckjoint.aspx. This is what it looks like loose:

neck.jpg

I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard of more folks here doing the same thing. Putting this figure together did require some minor gluing & cutting, with the most drastic measure having to cut the collar out of the original Medicom jumpsuit to go with the matching vest (that was really the point of no return!). But seeing it all come together has been so gratifying that I thought I'd show it off here.

But if more people are interested in what I've done, I may put together a little photo tutorial like the one I did a couple years ago to shorten Sideshow's 1/6 Vader figure. I'm sure there are few Medicom ESB Boba Fett figures that have remained intact after all these years just waiting to be resurrected.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments, guys! I got that neck piece on eBay, but noticed that Toy Anxiety has a very similar piece at https://www.toyanxiety.com/perfectionkiller-neckjoint.aspx. This is what it looks like loose:

neck.jpg

I'm kinda surprised I haven't heard of more folks here doing the same thing. It did require some minor gluing & cutting, with the most drastic measure having to cut the collar out of the original Medicom jumpsuit to go with the matching vest (that was really the point of no return!). But seeing it all come together has been so gratifying that I thought I'd show it off here.

But if more people are interested in what I've done, I may put together a little photo tutorial like the one I did a couple years ago to shorten Sideshow's 1/6 Vader figure. I'm sure there are few Medicom ESB Boba Fett figures that have remained intact after all these years just waiting to be resurrected.

The tutorial would be great.

Interesting about the Medi Vs. SSC gaunts - the Medis don't seem so much "longer" (even though one is) as larger overall maybe because of the thickness of the plastic. Odd that the Medi is so maligned for being scaled down too much yet the gauntlets are larger...

Both seem pretty much screen accurate, though you are right that the SSC has better detailing, e.g. that little computer keypad thing and "rocket" looks sharper on the SCC.

Funny that the SSC knee pads look a little oversized and yet the Medis look a little undersized.:gah:

The 100% screen accurate Boba eludes us still - and as I've said, if people think HT could nail him, they are wrong. He's a combo of shape, proportion and color that is pretty much impossible to nail. You've gotten it about as close as you can get.

The tutorial would be great.

Interesting about the Medi Vs. SSC gaunts - the Medis don't seem so much "longer" (even though one is) as larger overall maybe because of the thickness of the plastic. Odd that the Medi is so maligned for being scaled down too much yet the gauntlets are larger...

Both seem pretty much screen accurate, though you are right that the SSC has better detailing, e.g. that little computer keypad thing and "rocket" looks sharper on the SCC.

Funny that the SSC knee pads look a little oversized and yet the Medis look a little undersized.:gah:

The 100% screen accurate Boba eludes us still - and as I've said, if people think HT could nail him, they are wrong. He's a combo of shape, proportion and color that is pretty much impossible to nail. You've gotten it about as close as you can get.

I agree with you about how the Sideshow pieces size up compared to the Medicom ones. While the right gauntlets are about the same, ironically the Sideshow ones just won't fit onto the Truetype forearms while both left gauntlets work -- that SSC one is just too short to look accurate.

I've also spent a considerable amount of time looking at photo references at the Dented Helmet & found the Medicom knee-pads to be more correctly proportioned. Those Medicom knee darts just happen to be the first things to break on me when I first bought the figure, but it's surprising how close in diameter the Sideshow ones fit after snapping them off the Sideshow knee-pads.

In fact, quite a few pieces from both companies turned out to be nearly the exact same size when closely examined, including both blasters, helmets, rocket backpacks & jumpsuits. It's almost as if Medicom went through great lengths to craft precise 1/6 scale parts for its figure but the resulting figure became undersized when it was all eventually put on the RAH body. As you can see, putting all those pieces on the slim Truetype snaps the whole figure back into its proper scale.

I'm gonna start snapping some photos of the individual parts of my figure, including where all the minor "customizing" was done, & put it all in a tutorial in the next day or two. Since I didn't do any major cutting, sanding or painting, it should be something almost anyone here can do given all the proper parts.

(BTW, it looks like Photobucket changed the URL on my photos since they were first posted. For those who haven't seen them, please refer to the original posting a couple pages back where they've been updated.)

If you'll indulge me, here are those photos again with updated links:

a5c279f8.jpg

faf18ad3.jpg

f194e4d1.jpg

db7cc452.jpg

More photos to come as I put together that promised tutorial.

Last edited:
I think they are all the same, I've used hans landa wrist pegs and noland ankle pegs on a slim a couple of times.

If you'll indulge me, here are those photos again with updated links:

cca28145.jpg

More photos to come as I put together that promised tutorial.

Sorry if I missed this already, but did you weather thathelmet with white out? What made you go with that or is it the flash catching on the silver making it look weird? Otherwise great job.

An update to my problem with a EX Boba with a bad vest. Sideshow sent me a replacement vest with properly placed armor plates. :yess: It arrived yesterday. :hi5: Now to redress him with his new vest and some futzing. Updated pictures soon to follow. Luckily I didn't have to send the EX back. Sideshow CS is still the best. :love

LisaSSFan

Congrats! That's got to be the worst, to get a much anticipated figure like this and have something wrong with it. Glad to hear it all worked out for you, and you are right...SS CS is the best!

An update to my problem with a EX Boba with a bad vest. Sideshow sent me a replacement vest with properly placed armor plates. :yess: It arrived yesterday. :hi5: Now to redress him with his new vest and some futzing. Updated pictures soon to follow. Luckily I didn't have to send the EX back. Sideshow CS is still the best. :love

LisaSSFan

Congrats!!!! :clap
Pictures please :pray:

964b9ca1.jpg

cca28145.jpg

719d05e1.jpg

1f65d4fc.jpg

Medicom:
– head/helmet
– Wookiee braids
– codpiece
– boots

Sideshow:
– rifle
– cape
– rocket backpack
– jumpsuit
– side holster & pistol
– shin tools

Hot Toys:
– ankle pegs & feet

bbi:

Ok, how in the world did you get the Medicom cod piece in place up over the thighs and buttocks on the HT slim?
You didn't cut it did you?
Heat it?

You have to cut the SSC cod piece to get it on a slim, so likely for medicom too

Nope.
Figured it out, the Medicom and SS pieces are made from different plastic. The Medicom version can be heated and stretched into place. the SS version is a hard plastic.

Sorry if I missed this already, but did you weather thathelmet with white out? What made you go with that or is it the flash catching on the silver making it look weird? Otherwise great job.

No, I didn't do any painting on this figure, with Wite-Out or otherwise. The lighting in the room must have blown out the reflection from the silver paint on the helmet, losing some of the detail in the photo & making it look more blotchy. If it weren't for that awful shade of green, I probably would have used the Sideshow helmet just based on its outstanding paint apps alone.

As for the Medicom codpiece, it actually required no cutting or gluing to get it on. As opposed to the Sideshow codpiece, the Medicom one was cast as a single piece &, as Rex pointed out, is made of a more pliable material, so it will slip onto the slim Truetype with some elbow grease & a little patience. The best way is to slide it into place over the jumpsuit before pulling the jumpsuit over the hips. That way, the fabric material of the jumpsuit will facilitate the placement of the two pieces onto the body. If that doesn't work, put the Medicom codpiece in some hot water to make it softer & easier to work with. That should do the trick!

LisaSSFan

Congrats! That's got to be the worst, to get a much anticipated figure like this and have something wrong with it. Glad to hear it all worked out for you, and you are right...SS CS is the best!

Congrats!!!! :clap
Pictures please :pray:

Here is a quick one taken with my cheap phone. Sorry it is grainy & dark on the shelf. I will try to get a better lit one tomorrow.

new_vest1.jpg

Boba guarding his bounty- Hasbro SDCC Carbonite set.

Back