1/6 POTC - SWToys x Tough Guys FS046 Lord of the Caspian Sea (Barbossa)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the iron wasn't working well for the transfers, I had to dust off the heat press machine and it worked out perfectly. It's not too dark and has a nice sheen and the details still comes through. I can't wait to see this made as a coat. The vest fabric came out nicely as well and not as shiny as the last one which was ideal. I also attached a closeup of the detail I made which matches close enough to the real deal.

View attachment 602987View attachment 602988

Vash, am I reading/seeing this right? This is some kind of Inkjet fabric transfer paper onto cotton? You print to the sheet then iron-on? I think I've seen similar stuff before, but need to educate myself.

Also, forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but where did you get the waistcoat pattern? I'm assuming it's something you've done yourself, knowing how talentaed you are.

I'm seriousy thinking about making the waistcoat. Have a sewing machine etc, just not sure what parts it needs to do 1/6 scale stitches.

Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 22.01.21.png
++

Vash, am I reading/seeing this right? This is some kind of Inkjet fabric transfer paper onto cotton? You print to the sheet then iron-on? I think I've seen similar stuff before, but need to educate myself.

Also, forgive me if you've already mentioned this, but where did you get the waistcoat pattern? I'm assuming it's something you've done yourself, knowing how talentaed you are.

Yes, it is printed using an inkjet t-shirt transfer paper for light fabrics. I had to find a brand that was as thin as possible and hopefully flexible enough that it won’t crack over time.
My iron didn’t produce a consistent enough heat to transfer, but I have a t-shirt heat press machine which did the trick.
I wish I had an extra printer to use inks for dye sublimation, since there are transfer papers for that which I could have used to heat transfer which would only transfer the ink to the fabric. That would be the best method, but this worked out well enough.

The waistcoat pattern was something I did myself using the few closeup pictures of the vest.
I digitized each color pattern and then placed them all together in photoshop.
There are some areas that I guessed on, so it’s not 100% exact, but it’s pretty darn close.
It took me several print tests to get the size and color that I wanted.

Last edited:
Yes, it is printed using an inkjet t-shirt transfer paper for light fabrics. I had to find a brand that was as thin as possible and hopefully flexible enough that it won’t crack over time.
My iron didn’t produce a consistent enough heat to transfer, but I have a t-shirt heat press machine which did the trick.
I wish I had an extra printer to use inks for dye sublimation, since there are transfer papers for that which I could have used to heat transfer which would only transfer the ink to the fabric. That would be the best method, but this worked out well enough.

The waistcoat pattern was something I did myself using the few closeup pictures of the vest.
I digitized each color pattern and then placed them all together in photoshop.
There are some areas that I guessed on, so it’s not 100% exact, but it’s pretty darn close.
It took me several print tests to get the size and color that I wanted.
Cool. thanks for the info. I think you did an amazing job. Definitely want to replace the vest on mine.

Haven't been following this thread much - my Barbossa is packed up so haven't been able to share in the excitement - but I just wanted to say that if some of these great looking upgrades become available, I would also be a buyer.

I am NOT a designer, and have no idea what I'm doing, but I spent quite a few hours messing about on a basic 3D design program yesterday to make coat buttons. Here's the results so far:

432188-950ba451de8102e00c0edbef069bac00.png

Trying to recreate this:

431977-145b96f8ea111390de033a45ba31971e.png

Obviously, not 100% accurate, but 70% there. Besides, they are so blinkin' small, that level of detail is very hard to make out. An approximation.

I'm trying flat ones of two sizes to glue, and ones that can be sewn:

432193-cae056b991f6c63f9a6b95b223ced88a.png

First trial print run, thirty of each type. I set up ten of Vash's buttons at the front, but they failed for some reason. One survived.

IMG_4690(1).jpg

I've used the wrong primer - too thick, so have just bought more. Should be here Sunday.

I don't have an airgun, which would be the best way to do them.

These are so tiny that the phone's camera can't even make out the detail, but it seems to be there:

IMG_4691.jpg

EDIT

Updated Button a bit closer to the original with nearer the correct amount of components etc:

Screenshot 2023-02-18 at 13.04.06.png

Last edited:
My treasure cave is making progress.

Still quite a bit to do with it, like finishing painting the Chest of Cortes, get my DX015 Jack from storage, futz the figures, paint and sew Barbossa's buttons, and a few other things. . .

IMG_4808.jpg

IMG_4810.jpg

I've just received my repaint HS : I'm very pleased with the result

I have to deal with the hat and some work hair

Attachments

• IMG_4459.jpeg
    IMG_4459.jpeg
    831.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4456.jpeg
    IMG_4456.jpeg
    844.1 KB · Views: 0
Mines eagerly awaiting those promised custom runs!! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah - he needs some work thats well beyond my ability to accomplish.
What ever did happen with that run of custom coats that was mentioned? I know it was talked about but not sure if I missed it or it was just dropped.

Got my Artisus sculpt in! Definitely tempted to update the clothing now, my god is it *so* off. I also can't get over the lack of disgustingly long fingernails lol. Can't really complain too much for the price though.
Somewhat shocked to learn this sculpt was $650. Just paid that for a BNIB DX15.

Last edited:
Back