1/6 Hot Toys - MMS647 - Episode II: Attack of The Clones - Shiny Clone Trooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status update: as predicted, I got my money back. So now I'll have to hunt one down at inflated price instead of retail.
If it’s any consolation, Timcent still has these. He’s reliable and trustworthy, albeit, a broker so the cost are over retail. That said, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and you might need a ring camera. Not that it will stop determined porch pirates, but it might deter some. 🤷🏾‍♂️

So after watching Ahsoka EP 5 I guess we will see the Clone Lieutenant

I believe they’re TCW based Phase 1 501st and not Clone Lieutenants.

Darker blue, no stripe between the fin and visor, and no dots on the chest armor.

IMG_2393.jpeg
IMG_2398.jpeg

Of course after I decide to clear up some items on my waitlist and delete this off it now people will probably get opportunities to get it. Ah well..

Expect clone pictures.

View attachment 671047
I can’t wrap my head around this question: why did HT not solve/fix the ugly phase I helmet? Look at this (Battlefront?) rendition, so crisp and neat! We were so close but, sadly, greed kicked in…
Because either A: too lazy and they doubled down with the pilot for consistency or B: Disney are only approving thick line helmets for unfathomable reasons. Because Disney Lucasfilm is cray cray

Or... there is the conspiracy option: intentionally make it sub-par so that they can do a 2.0 deluxe that fixes the issues since HT like to double/triple dip

Edit again:
On a side note, I do like that the Battlefront image above shows the movie version carbine as opposed to the non movie one HT always use. The game devs care more about accuracy than HT it seems.

Because either A: too lazy and they doubled down with the pilot for consistency or B: Disney are only approving thick line helmets for unfathomable reasons. Because Disney Lucasfilm is cray cray

Or... there is the conspiracy option: intentionally make it sub-par so that they can do a 2.0 deluxe that fixes the issues since HT like to double/triple dip

Edit again:
On a side note, I do like that the Battlefront image above shows the movie version carbine as opposed to the non movie one HT always use. The game devs care more about accuracy than HT it seems.
Definitely to sell more later. They know what they are doing. Make it slightly off and sell us a correct version later on at a higher price.

Ratcheted (?) joints are neat, forgot it had it at arms even. One thing I discovered today (after what, six or so unboxes?) is his belt being held in place by some odd glue. Don’t believe in it, at all… Do you believe they could have used a velcro connection like the stormtrooper belts..?
yeah, the glued belts are annoying, when I was kitbashing clones I had to pry/cut the belts open then re-glue. same for the torso armour actually. HT also glue Rex's and Jesse's pauldrons down. Sideshow did it better by having the pauldrons not being stuck down.

Definitely to sell more later. They know what they are doing. Make it slightly off and sell us a correct version later on at a higher price.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the answer. And in this case I think they just got it wrong, mashing up the stylized animated Phase 1 helmet with a realistic design in a weird way.

They’ve gotten plenty of details wrong in the past before and it wasn’t to sell an improved version down the road. They just flat missed the mark.

I don’t see a conspiracy. Just an inaccuracy.

They don’t need to intentionally make a faulty product to sell more Clones in the future. People are going to buy them regardless.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the answer. And in this case I think they just got it wrong, mashing up the stylized animated Phase 1 helmet with a realistic design in a weird way.

They’ve gotten plenty of details wrong in the past before and it wasn’t to sell an improved version down the road. They just flat missed the mark.

I don’t see a conspiracy. Just an inaccuracy.

They don’t need to intentionally make a faulty product to sell more Clones in the future. People are going to buy them regardless.
The problem is that they had a corrected pilot helmet for prototype then final product had the thick mouth lines so it isn't an honest mistake (at least not any more). They refused to correct the phase 1 helmet after the 501st deluxe (whether that one was accidentally inaccurate or not) and they intentionally made the pilot inaccurate either to maintain consistency, be in line with licensor guidelines or leave room for future versions. Whatever the case, it aint an honest error (anymore?)

The problem is that they had a corrected pilot helmet for prototype then final product had the thick mouth lines so it isn't an honest mistake (at least not any more). They refused to correct the phase 1 helmet after the 501st deluxe (whether that one was accidentally inaccurate or not) and they intentionally made the pilot inaccurate either to maintain consistency, be in line with licensor guidelines or leave room for future versions. Whatever the case, it aint an honest error (anymore?)

Ah but you'll note I didn't call it an honest mistake. Your words, not mine.

They are known to get details wrong and sometimes double down on it. We'll likely never know what really happened with the 501st Phase 1 which set the unfortunate precedent. But I do not believe it was intentional to sell an improved version later which is the only point I was pushing back against.

The Phase 1 pilot was a dishonest mistake however, being a deliberate one that resulted in an inferior final result. :lol

Ah but you'll note I didn't call it an honest mistake. Your words, not mine.

They are known to get details wrong and sometimes double down on it. We'll likely never know what really happened with the 501st Phase 1 which set the unfortunate precedent. But I do not believe it was intentional to sell an improved version later which is the only point I was pushing back against.

The Phase 1 pilot was a dishonest mistake however, being a deliberate one that resulted in an inferior final result. :lol
The problem was you could tell the prototype Pilot helmet sculpt was maybeeee hand sculpted with clay as it felt a tad "wobbly" or "soft" compared to the clearly machined precision of their usual helmeted figures, so it was always likely that when it went into production they'd go the cheap route of using the production sculpt they had in hand, rather than machine a brand new one based off that prototype.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

So yeah ultimately I think it was out of cheapness rather than an intentional design flaw. The screwed up their first attempt and that ended up being the master sculpt in spite of them clearly knowing they sculpted it wrong (it's funny though that even that revised mouth in the proto is still wrong).

Back