1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Iron Man 3 - Mark XXI (Gold Chrome Version) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Iron Man 3: MIDAS Mark 21 (Electroplated Ver) Collectible Fi

Of the HPP which is what I meant, yeah it is. Python and Midas command a premium, Peacemaker and Hot Rod just a bit above retail right now.

Trending prices now on the rest- Hearbreaker $70 below retail, Centurion $70 below retail, Starboost $50 below retail, Igor $150 below retail, Bones $60 below retail, Striker $60 below retail, Tank $60 below retail, Gamma not even selling enough on ebay to get a price- still available at retail, Mark 9 (via the 2 pack) $60 below retail.

Its just becoming foolish to buy these things at all first hand, and continuing re-releasing things yet again will continue dilute the few desirable figures that there are left.

Even if your correct here, and I'm not saying you are, I was still correct. You said only Midas (didn't mention hpp) was above retail. I said not really. You countered by saying...Midas, Python, and hot rod where above retail. So, again, my statement that its not just Midas is correct.

And you over sold the below retail and undersold the above retail. There are 14 hot rod completed sales...once bought and paid not just listed or pending, on eBay over 350usd. Half that over 375. Midas has 10 over 450. Python has around the same. So if you bought every figure at retail you would have saved money over buying them second hand, even when you factor in the lower prices ones. Throw in the mk42,43,4,5,7,6 and the milk WM and silly things and gun metal grey figures and your way over. Heck take out the three high end ones like sill things and gunmetal and milk and guess what...buying at retail would still make it cheaper when you average the cost across all then if you buy second hand.

Some go up in value some go down. You don't know in advance which is which. But when you average them all out its still cheaper to buy retail. Sorry, your point is just not correct. In the micro or macro.

Re: 1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - Iron Man 3: MIDAS Mark 21 (Electroplated Ver) Collectible Fi

I actually like this news and the new look of this Midas. They fixed the goggle eyes and made it look more like polished metal. What is not to like, other then the fact it will devalue the inflated prices for the original.
Are we collectors or flippers?

The only people who find HT being greedy for this are those who have the first one and are butt-hurt about it potentially dropping in value, or people who always complain about HT making too many Iron Man figures. This is no different than anything else they've done recently, and I have no complaints.

Even if your correct here, and I'm not saying you are, I was still correct. You said only Midas (didn't mention hpp) was above retail. I said not really. You countered by saying...Midas, Python, and hot rod where above retail. So, again, my statement that its not just Midas is correct.

And you over sold the below retail and undersold the above retail. There are 14 hot rod completed sales...once bought and paid not just listed or pending, on eBay over 350usd. Half that over 375. Midas has 10 over 450. Python has around the same. So if you bought every figure at retail you would have saved money over buying them second hand, even when you factor in the lower prices ones. Throw in the mk42,43,4,5,7,6 and the milk WM and silly things and gun metal grey figures and your way over. Heck take out the three high end ones like sill things and gunmetal and milk and guess what...buying at retail would still make it cheaper when you average the cost across all then if you buy second hand.

Some go up in value some go down. You don't know in advance which is which. But when you average them all out its still cheaper to buy retail. Sorry, your point is just not correct. In the micro or macro.

Christ dude I am not talking about every Iron Man ever made, Midas is HPP and I am talking about the HPP. Sorry I didn't add enough footnotes for your pedantic arguing style.

I no longer have anything but the HPP in 1/6, so the original 7 and all the silly special gunmetal milk stuff is not what I am talking about- mainly because those will always be redone ad infinitum and I don't even want them in 1/6 anymore for that reason. 1/4 or bust. The HPP armors all together are still pulling $300 below retail, even with the premium on Midas (soon to disappear) and Python and Hot Rod added in. Its not just the fact that that is another entire armor's worth of $ overpaid, but suffocating the demand for these will almost assuredly cause them to not finish the HPP, and that is what bums me out. I wish they were spending their time on another quasi unique suit (even just one of the Mk7 bashes) and not just another version of one they already made.

At least they might fix the faceplate this time around, and hopefully this wont be a paint disaster like the electroplated Cap shields, and maybe it will be an ultra small batch special like the chocolate ones or whatever. But not all of us can treat this hobby like a money bonfire, a lot of times buying one thing will mean selling another to make room and free up funds- not "flipping", if I wanted to get this new one I would have to sell my original, and then it would be me and 200 others doing the same thing, so that just won't be happening for me.

I always wanted a Midas but didn't like the aftermarket. Maybe Ill grab this one.

Regardless of everything, not enough time has passed for any real evaluation of value on these collectibles. Check back in 10 years when an RDJ Iron Man figure hasn't been made for 5 years and we'll see then. But, as always, who cares. I'm not buying 1/6 scale as investments, and anyone who is needs a quick lesson in financial planning.

For me newer figures offer an opportunity for Hot Toys to make improvements over previous iterations, and I for one am very okay with that.

Midas, Python and Starboost are my three favorite armors that I still don't have. If they come in Die Cast... man...

Regardless of everything, not enough time has passed for any real evaluation of value on these collectibles. Check back in 10 years when an RDJ Iron Man figure hasn't been made for 5 years and we'll see then. But, as always, who cares. I'm not buying 1/6 scale as investments, and anyone who is needs a quick lesson in financial planning.

For me newer figures offer an opportunity for Hot Toys to make improvements over previous iterations, and I for one am very okay with that.

Are HT original figures commanding premiums? I doubt any new figures will, too many are being made. Old stuff became valuable because no one thought to keep stuff in collectible condition in the past(comics, 80's toys). Everyone does it now so make purchases with that in mind and you'll never be disappointed.

I paid a small fortune for Midas in the aftermarket. I suppose this new release could give me a chance to sell it, make most of that money back, and buy a shiny new one for a fraction of that price.

I never would have guessed that HT would release a remake of a HPP suits. But, I guess this one makes sense, considering how high the demand was for the original figure which sold out so quickly.

Hot Toys figures are about as wise an investment strategy as early 1990s comic books and Beanie Babies. Buy, enjoy, and dispose when the inevitable upgrade happens.

Hot Toys figures are about as wise an investment strategy as early 1990s comic books and Beanie Babies. Buy, enjoy, and dispose when the inevitable upgrade happens.

Isn't my Superman #75 worth $1500 by now? I bought 20 of them.

Uh, yeah. I meant to buy as many as possible! :lol Not even sure how many copies of the Claremont/Lee X-Men #1 I have, but it's over 10.

I doubt HT cares about the value of their figures in the aftermarket as they don't see a cent of it in resale. But now they can get all the money by rereleasing sought after figures at their jacked up prices.

According to some sites, Shanghai store will be open at June 16th. Long time waiting, just hope that we see these earlier.

Since this is a newer version of an older figure, it may not devalue the Midas 1.0 because of the differences. One is matte shades, while the other is shiny, shiny to the point you won't want to touch it because of the fingerprints you'll leave behind because of the electroplating. I don't foresee a drop on a rare figure's price because of this. Just my thoughts.
Ryan

Electroplating, eh? Is this thing going to flake? I'd much rather HT re-release Midas in diecast and call it a day.

Electroplating, eh? Is this thing going to flake? I'd much rather HT re-release Midas in diecast and call it a day.

Yup, remember that clean shield from Cap First Avenger that became "battle damaged" after a few months.

Yup, remember that clean shield from Cap First Avenger that became "battle damaged" after a few months.

No, I wasn't here for that fiasco. :lol But a very good friend told me about that, HT can't possibly make the same mistake twice, can it?

No way. . .unless you also count Avengers Cap, which had the same exact problem that First Avengers Cap did re: flaking.

Back