1/6 1/6 Hot Toys: Ellen Ripley - Alien - Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) Skin tone. As soon as I pulled it out of the box, my wife said she was too dark. I agreed. She suffers from the same, weird grey/brown skin most Hot Toys figures have. It's like they have one default skin tone for every figure, and it definitely doesn't suit Ripley, as she was pretty pale in Alien.
so it wasn't a visual trick when her face looked too red in photos.
damn, now i'm happy that at least Robocop, who wears dead skin over metal head, isn't overtanned (like MMS238 T-800, who also wears already dead skin over metal head but looks like he frequently takes sun baths).

C'mon guys, don't you know that Nostromo hypersleep capsules also double up as tanning beds?
:goodpost::exactly:
i even remember the scene where they are shown in action:

Alien%2B(53).jpg

What were they carrying in that tug? That was one hell of an explosion.

If i remember right it was carrying 20 million tons of ore and the only bad/dated special effect in the movie - lol. I love the movie but that explosion was the only what the hell moment in the film for me, not bad for a 1979 film.

Actually, I like the explosion.
The WTF moment for me was the alien dangling from the Narcissus... even back then I thought it looked silly and stumpy.

In space, no one can hear you scream. But we can all hear explosions just fine, thanks.

As a kid I had no idea that there is no sound in space so I just assumed that the tagline meant that no one can hear you screaming in space because you're just well really damn far away. Made perfect sense to me. :lol

After having her a few days, here are some observations/things that I want to adjust or fix.

1) Skin tone. As soon as I pulled it out of the box, my wife said she was too dark. I agreed. She suffers from the same, weird grey/brown skin most Hot Toys figures have. It's like they have one default skin tone for every figure, and it definitely doesn't suit Ripley, as she was pretty pale in Alien.

2) The waist of the jumpsuit. It was pretty slim in the movie, but on the figure it could use a little tightening up. The lacing in the back will complicate the procedure, but I planned to change that anyway. Also, and this won't matter to most people, but the clothes underneath. The white shirt has the pockets that should be on the left sleeve on the right sleeve, and the patch that should be on the right sleeve isn't there. Also, when Ripley had the sleeves rolled up, the sleeves of the green undershirt were long enough to be visible. They're not quite long enough on the figure.

3) The hair. I still would have preferred rooted hair, even though I can see the obvious problems that would have accompanied mass producing a rooted hair figure that needed styled hair to look accurate. The sculpted hair looks fine. They did a good job of giving it the proper silhouette, but I think rooted hair will bring the figure up a notch.

4) Hands. And, like the skin tone, this is another thing that isn't exclusive to Ripley. You just get the bog standard hands. Pair of relaxed, pair of fists, trigger and gripping hands. Hands can add a lot of life to figures, and I really wish we could start getting some more expressive ones, or maybe some scene specific ones. The trigger hand looks kind of odd, since the flamethrower didn't have a conventional trigger.

5) Body. I wouldn't have expected them to make a new body just for Ripley, but seeing as she's pretty petite the Black Widow body kinda fills out the jumpsuit a bit more than I would like.

All of that is pretty nitpicky, especially since I have no problem fixing most of it, but it's just some stuff I've noticed.

They've been doing their damnedest to turn White characters into anything but White.

What were they carrying in that tug? That was one hell of an explosion.
as far as i read, today the biggest problem with deep space travel, aside from technical issues like radiation or possible speed (causing time demanded), is... inability to store enough volume of fuel.
any future spacefaring vessel made for numerous speeding and stopping (like Nostromo and unlike small discovery bots simply projected into space and only maintaining their course by thrusters) would have a massive storage of fuel energy-wise, even if it is some unobtanium taking a lot lesss volume.
and it should be all released in an explosion of said vessel, especially in Nostromo case, where fuel was what was explosed.
so if that idea about fuel demands is true, the energy stored in Nostromo caused the explosion, not the cargo. especially as the cargo was "mineral ore" for some reason and not even oil, which could be thought from the looks of its carrying platform.

Ripley turned off the cooling system to initiate the self-destruct, so the Nostromo had a fission/fusion reactor for power. No cooling, big melt down & chain reaction boom.

Pretty much what happened in Aliens - except Vas and Drake turned it off disobeying orders. :lol

She finally finally finally arrived at my doorstep... and I love her already. Sculpt, details and tailoring are flawless. Even Jonesy isn't as bad as I thought he would be, but he's wayyyy too small. So in the carrier he goes.
She's suffering from the same 'sticking her face into a bonfire' syndrome as T1 Arnie though...
7f2e89839afd303d4b9620d7f2b21f17.jpg

She finally finally finally arrived at my doorstep... and I love her already. Sculpt, details and tailoring are flawless. Even Jonesy isn't as bad as I thought he would be, but he's wayyyy too small. So in the carrier he goes.
She's suffering from the same 'sticking her face into a bonfire' syndrome as T1 Arnie though...
7f2e89839afd303d4b9620d7f2b21f17.jpg

Excuse me, Could you use other words to explain "sticking her face into a bonfire"? I can't understand what do you wanna say... thanks.

By the way, my postal service has sent me an email: my package will arrive soon...

Ripley turned off the cooling system to initiate the self-destruct, so the Nostromo had a fission/fusion reactor for power. No cooling, big melt down & chain reaction boom.

Pretty much what happened in Aliens - except Vas and Drake turned it off disobeying orders. :lol
i do think that Nostromo's storage was much bigger than Hadley's Hope. the colony didn't have to travel for parsecs. thus the bigger explosion.
all points are still a good answer to the initial question "what they were carrying". fuel.

Excuse me, Could you use other words to explain "sticking her face into a bonfire"? I can't understand what do you wanna say... thanks.
here is a bonfire.

a-tall-bonfire-with-flames-leaping-jaak-nilson.jpg

did you happen to sit too close to it overnight? next day your face skin is red-burned.
to see a deeper effect, just watch Silent Hill movie (part 1) and look what happened to a female cop :lol

i do think that Nostromo's storage was much bigger than Hadley's Hope. the colony didn't have to travel for parsecs. thus the bigger explosion.
all points are still a good answer to the initial question "what they were carrying". fuel.

here is a bonfire.

a-tall-bonfire-with-flames-leaping-jaak-nilson.jpg

did you happen to sit too close to it overnight? next day your face skin is red-burned.
to see a deeper effect, just watch Silent Hill movie (part 1) and look what happened to a female cop :lol

UFfffffff... this is an epic FAIL. Ripley has a pale face... grrrrr...

By the way, my postal service has sent me an email: my package will arrive soon...

:) yep, it's like her face has been darkened by soot.

Back