Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was actually.. Ok with this. But I attribute that to myself just absolutely despising 90% of zombie films. I hate zombies. I hate movies about them, generally.

Resident Evil and 30 days Later or whatever it was called, I liked. I find zombie horror extremely uninteresting, usually. It's far too simple of a plot. It requires characters you'd find interesting or entertaining to get through it, for me personally.

I liked a few characters from Snyder film on that. Saved it for me.

Zombies just bore the **** out of me. The film itself wasn't terribly amazing by any stretch of the imagination but I was entertained. Solid 6/10 for me. Was ok. Not good. Not bad.

Just ok. And I'm good with that.

That's fair. I think the genre is more about placing the viewer in the film then it is about story telling often times.

I like Romero, and Snyder did an amazing job with the 04 Dawn of the Dead remake, but outside of that I think its just about asking the audience "What would you do?", and that doesn't make for great plots.

I think the genre is more about placing the viewer in the film then it is about story telling often times.

What an amazing way to perceive it. That's really interesting.

Sorry, just threw me for a loop on that. I never considered the genre seriously enough to think about it that way.

I think resident evil does zombies well. Cause they are either constantly evolving or they are other threats bigger than zombies in the universe and they are a huge obstacle . I also like when someone reinvents the formula a bit. Running zombies, human rabies, spore infected, and hyperactive wwz types.
The slow moving shambling zombies gets boring fast. Walking dead was only fun cause of its characters but the zombie aspect of the show was boring . They never switched it up

I think resident evil does zombies well. Cause they are either constantly evolving or they are other threats bigger than zombies in the universe and they are a huge obstacle . I also like when someone reinvents the formula a bit. Running zombies, human rabies, spore infected, and hyperactive wwz types.
The slow moving shambling zombies gets boring fast. Walking dead was only fun cause of its characters but the zombie aspect of the show was boring . They never switched it up
Movies with slow movers are often allegories for a social issue that has crept up on us.

Night of the Living Dead - Race
Dawn of the Dead - Consumerism
Day of the Dead - The fallout of our societal collapse. The Cold War.

Things we refused to deal with and now we have too fight the monsters we created.

Fast moving are an allegory for issues we didn't really see coming, or that happened so fast we don't know how to deal with it.

Train to Busan - Class and having to work with others during an emergency in a way we wouldn't otherwise.
28 Days - Growing hostility in an apathetic world.
28 Weeks - The dangers of advancing too quickly.

I love horror, but what makes its scary is our personal experience. I think everyone that grew up when IT came out as a miniseries was terrified because there are storm drains everywhere. We were kids and lacked the understanding of the subtext, but none of us looked at storm drains the same way ever again.

I think as we age horror stops being scary as we either suppress or conquer the fears that compel us. I watch it not because it's scary, but because I want to be scared. I want to return to a time when the world was a mystery and unfathomable things lurked in storm drains.

It wasnt very memorable, I just remember not outright hating it (I don't like heist movies), so what humor are you referring to?

It's just to unmemorable I can only slightly remember one of the characters.
I'm not sure how to explain it. Where the characters are supposed to be brilliant at what they do but in reality they would be terrible due to how much they mess up but are just lucky.

Movies with slow movers are often allegories for a social issue that has crept up on us.

Night of the Living Dead - Race
Dawn of the Dead - Consumerism
Day of the Dead - The fallout of our societal collapse. The Cold War.

Things we refused to deal with and now we have too fight the monsters we created.

Fast moving are an allegory for issues we didn't really see coming, or that happened so fast we don't know how to deal with it.

Train to Busan - Class and having to work with others during an emergency in a way we wouldn't otherwise.
28 Days - Growing hostility in an apathetic world.
28 Weeks - The dangers of advancing too quickly.

I love horror, but what makes its scary is our personal experience. I think everyone that grew up when IT came out as a miniseries was terrified because there are storm drains everywhere. We were kids and lacked the understanding of the subtext, but none of us looked at storm drains the same way ever again.

I think as we age horror stops being scary as we either suppress or conquer the fears that compel us. I watch it not because it's scary, but because I want to be scared. I want to return to a time when the world was a mystery and unfathomable things lurked in storm drains.
I think what scared me about IT was that the stuff we saw as strictly for children can literally trick you and kill you. And the only target is mostly children. As a child you think you are invincible and protected so when something in your safe space that is meant for you and trying to kill you then that’s scary. That’s why I found Chucky so endearing. Cause even though something may look innocent and non threatening that doesn’t mean it’s not a threat.

Always glass half empty when it's Snyder isn't it.

"It came out to 1,256 seconds or 20 minutes and 56 seconds worth of slow motion..... It makes the movie feels like it's three times as long...Which is roughly like 19 percent of the overall movie is spent in slo mo...." - penguinz0

Even Jodorowsky was self aware enough to know his words were the equivalent of trying to spin his farts into Jungian alchemical gold, and tell people that's what they were smelling.
LOL you're really trying to hard :lol

Where I’m coming from with the Jungian idea of a “conjunction” is that it’s the bringing together of the opposing poles of a duality: Jimmy is super high technology. He’s sentient AI. But he has turned to the natural world, to Nature, for answers to basic existential questions. I really like that! That does feel pretty original to me. Not sure if it’s already been done in other stories. I would imagine that it may have. But it’s the first time I’m seeing it. Anyway, regardless, as I said that really appeals to me.

Just chiming in that AotD didn’t do much for me. It wasn’t bad, but it’s just not what I’m into. I’m not a fan of either horror in general or zombie apocalypse movies in particular to begin with. Only a couple for those that I like. Kubrick’s The Shining and World War Z are about it.

Be aware of the distinct lack of good writers being utilized in today's entertainment industry.

There's a good story buried in RB P2, just like there is actually a good story buried in RB P1.

Snyder, IMHO, doesn't need to be a good writer, though that would certainly help, but it would do immeasurable good for his films if he was simply a more economical one. He could have made this same movie with mostly the same plot, and reduced the core to about four characters, and it would have made the entire process so much more functional.

Brian Scalabrine is a retired NBA player, and he said something pretty interesting once, considering he was considered a marginally talented end of the bench player for the league for his entire career - "I'm way closer to LeBron than you are to me...."

The point being, despite lots of fans seeing Scalabrine as someone who sucked as professional basketball, he was, back then, still in the top 1000 of people in the entire world at the sport. So if there's any consolation to @Alatar and @T8OO , then the likely truth is Zack Snyder is only several feet away from someone like Stanley Kubrick than the average movie goer is to Snyder himself. These are, no doubt, incredibly hard jobs to do and fill. Lots of pressure, lots of money at stake, and most people couldn't handle running productions as Snyder has for so long. It's more than being a director, and sometimes writer, you are effectively also in management.

So, my take is, the base criticism of Snyder here is he can tell the same story, for the most part, but can he do it in a more efficient way? In a more fundamental way. In a way more economical way.

I've always been told that an effective filmmaker is someone who is judged by what they've had to give up from the things they really loved simply because those things did not serve the greater overall story. I don't blame Snyder, from a creative standpoint, that he does not want to "burn his baby at the altar". But that's part of the job.

What also goes unsaid is that part of Snyder's "success" is what he does off camera in the overall social / political / power / leverage dynamic around him. In this regard, again if @Alatar and @T8OO want to hear something good about Snyder, it's evident that Zack is actually good at that part of it. Something people liked about Simon Cowell with American Idol is sometimes he would say things that people thought and were not comfortable saying because they'd get attacked for it. Sometimes there would be a good singer but they were too heavy or too "unattractive" or didn't have that great sad backstory, and Simon would simply say, "Hey, you did great, but this is about as far as you'll probably go here" American Idol didn't always take the best singer, they took the most marketable person who had at least a minimum baseline for singing at a certain level. Jeff Probst has said this often about Survivor. That the real "game" when you deal with All Star seasons or such, is the relationship building and negotiation that happens off camera over a period of years.

That's probably part of the overall tragedy here. Lots of people invested time, sweat, blood and passion into RB1 and 2, not just Snyder. And if it had some minor to moderate changes, it could have been far more functional. I'm not even assessing "good vs bad" here, just more functional in it's overall storytelling.

Zack Snyder is closer to Kubrick than I am to Snyder. I don't have a problem saying that. But it's apparent Snyder wants to get closer to Kubrick by crawling over broken glass first. I don't have a problem saying that as well. Here's hoping Snyder has a dark night of soul in his career before his entire slate of future opportunities runs out on him. He has made things I have enjoyed before. There's clearly a lot of talent there. But talent is like a hot blonde cheerleader or a sports prospect with a killer jump shot in their youth. You only get a limited window of time to maximize all those opportunities.

There's a good story buried in RB P2, just like there is actually a good story buried in RB P1.

Snyder, IMHO, doesn't need to be a good writer, though that would certainly help, but it would do immeasurable good for his films if he was simply a more economical one. He could have made this same movie with mostly the same plot, and reduced the core to about four characters, and it would have made the entire process so much more functional.

Brian Scalabrine is a retired NBA player, and he said something pretty interesting once, considering he was considered a marginally talented end of the bench player for the league for his entire career - "I'm way closer to LeBron than you are to me...."

The point being, despite lots of fans seeing Scalabrine as someone who sucked as professional basketball, he was, back then, still in the top 1000 of people in the entire world at the sport. So if there's any consolation to @Alatar and @T8OO , then the likely truth is Zack Snyder is only several feet away from someone like Stanley Kubrick than the average movie goer is to Snyder himself. These are, no doubt, incredibly hard jobs to do and fill. Lots of pressure, lots of money at stake, and most people couldn't handle running productions as Snyder has for so long. It's more than being a director, and sometimes writer, you are effectively also in management.

So, my take is, the base criticism of Snyder here is he can tell the same story, for the most part, but can he do it in a more efficient way? In a more fundamental way. In a way more economical way.

I've always been told that an effective filmmaker is someone who is judged by what they've had to give up from the things they really loved simply because those things did not serve the greater overall story. I don't blame Snyder, from a creative standpoint, that he does not want to "burn his baby at the altar". But that's part of the job.

What also goes unsaid is that part of Snyder's "success" is what he does off camera in the overall social / political / power / leverage dynamic around him. In this regard, again if @Alatar and @T8OO want to hear something good about Snyder, it's evident that Zack is actually good at that part of it. Something people liked about Simon Cowell with American Idol is sometimes he would say things that people thought and were not comfortable saying because they'd get attacked for it. Sometimes there would be a good singer but they were too heavy or too "unattractive" or didn't have that great sad backstory, and Simon would simply say, "Hey, you did great, but this is about as far as you'll probably go here" American Idol didn't always take the best singer, they took the most marketable person who had at least a minimum baseline for singing at a certain level. Jeff Probst has said this often about Survivor. That the real "game" when you deal with All Star seasons or such, is the relationship building and negotiation that happens off camera over a period of years.

That's probably part of the overall tragedy here. Lots of people invested time, sweat, blood and passion into RB1 and 2, not just Snyder. And if it had some minor to moderate changes, it could have been far more functional. I'm not even assessing "good vs bad" here, just more functional in it's overall storytelling.

Zack Snyder is closer to Kubrick than I am to Snyder. I don't have a problem saying that. But it's apparent Snyder wants to get closer to Kubrick by crawling over broken glass first. I don't have a problem saying that as well. Here's hoping Snyder has a dark night of soul in his career before his entire slate of future opportunities runs out on him. He has made things I have enjoyed before. There's clearly a lot of talent there. But talent is like a hot blonde cheerleader or a sports prospect with a killer jump shot in their youth. You only get a limited window of time to maximize all those opportunities.

Jesus christ.

Gimme a few to process this. Brb..

Where I’m coming from with the Jungian idea of a “conjunction” is that it’s the bringing together of the opposing poles of a duality: Jimmy is super high technology. He’s sentient AI. But he has turned to the natural world, to Nature, for answers to basic existential questions. I really like that! That does feel pretty original to me. Not sure if it’s already been done in other stories. I would imagine that it may have. But it’s the first time I’m seeing it. Anyway, regardless, as I said that really appeals to me.

Technological, more-Machine-than-Man Darth Vader relying on The Force.

And am I to believe, that all those things you just, suggested essentially, would make Snyders films work?

Because I'd might trouble you to re-read that. And get back with me.

I appreciate the the post though. Was a good read, to be honest. In it's own kinda.. way.

(PS. A unashamedly Synder fan)

Last edited:

"It came out to 1,256 seconds or 20 minutes and 56 seconds worth of slow motion..... It makes the movie feels like it's three times as long...Which is roughly like 19 percent of the overall movie is spent in slo mo...." - penguinz0

I don't understand exactly what you are trying to say here.

The context helps this a lot. Other than ideas for Snyder's scripts, which I think are valid isn't the other point really obvious?

Re-posting this from another forum, in answer to some complaints about the PG13 cuts:

For the novelizations we only have Part 1 as yet. But judging from the book there’s quite a bit more of Jimmy in the director’s cut of Part 1. We see him sorting things out and getting along out in the wild, reflecting on what his purpose now is, what use he can be, etc. He’s an awesome character. He represents the pinnacle of technology as sentient AI that chooses to answer seek existential questions through a connection to the wilderness, to nature. I absolutely love that. (Not for nothing, it’s something that superintelligent AI might end up doing in real life one day. At least looking to Nature, that is.)

But anyway, what Zack Snyder is doing here obviously risks massive damage to his reputation and career… I give him props for taking the artistic risk, but man…

First, the director’s cuts with their genre deconstruction through applying a sci-fi pulp B movie vibe to a space opera is something that literally no one wanted or asked for. Like it’s definitely not a focus-group driven thing, lol!

Second, for the PG13 cuts a low budget “earnest” approach to the sci-fi genre where he does his own DPing and uses an anamorphic lens to save money… which actually is these days basically in keeping with the B movie (i.e., low budget) aesthetic… disappoints all the fans that wanted a higher budget, polished take on Star Wars that’s grittier, more adult and violent, edgier, and visually stunning. Like Star Wars for grownups. That’s what they wanted. And they’re feeling kind of burned, it looks like.

I do suspect, though, that after deconstructing the genre with his director’s cuts the pendulum will swing back towards reconstruction with Part 3 if he gets to make it. He did that with ZSJL after deconstructively blowing the doors off with BvS. And he’ll probably do that here as well. It would be awesome if he could get writer Chris Terrio and cinematographer Larry Fong back for Part 3, and to then deliver what folks were initially hoping for.

I guess it makes sense that Netflix legitimately insisted that he make the two hour PG13 cuts because for several years now streaming services have been moving towards pushing consumers to use ad supported plans that are like old fashioned network TV with commercials. Netflix has started licensing out its original content to platforms like Amazon Prime which now has an ad supported plan. It’s only a matter of time before they strike deals with Roku, Pluto, and Tubi. Obviously subscriptions are a bedrock of revenue, but Netflix probably makes even more of their money from ads. And hard R-rated content scares advertisers away. Advertisers prefer more family friendly fare that runs in the background in the living room, that the kids can watch as well, etc.

Snyder is using it to make a point, though, I reckon. There was a line that Titus delivers in the trailers “Show them that we can be more than the shackles that bind us” that didn’t make it into the PG13 cut. But I think it will show up in the director’s cut of Part 2. And I think that’s probably part of Snyder’s commentary on the studio mentality of using focus groups to determine what sort of films it wants to make. The PG13 cuts might well be an example of a sort of neutered and declawed wild animal. (I imagine a black puma in the back of my mind, lol.) Like a sort of sad creature in a petting zoo, or that that some fool is trying to raise in their home.

Now whether that animal in the wild… i.e., the director’s cuts… will actually thrill and wow us?… Man… I dunno. I really hope so! But with the budget he had to work with, unfortunately I tend to doubt it though. He’s actually not half bad as a cinematographer! There are some really great shots in the PG13 cuts. But he’s not Larry Fong. And he’s not Chris Terrio…

Maybe Part 3 will give us that big payoff if he gets the chance.

Back