why so many sell off their collections!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't sell specifically to make space but I guess if you're selling enough of your collection thats a side benefit. Sometimes I see people selling one figure and saying its to make space.....thats not going to be a huge amount of new free space, if thats the only reason to sell why bother at all.

Yeah, usually it's a refocus thing for me too.

There's so much cool stuff out there, you end up branching out quite a bit, then, for example (like me) you find that you've got a substantial Sideshow GI Joe collection, with a smattering of other stuff that doesn't really "fit", hence why I'm getting rid of most of my Hot Toys figures and only keeping a couple one-off figures that work well on their own (Arnie T-800 and the original Predator). The rest of the stuff doesn't really work in my collection (Wolf Cleaner Kit exclusive, Berserker Pred, another Pred that I got because I was locked into a preorder and Thriller MJ). It's all cool stuff, but if I feel it doesn't really fit I might as well sell it or trade it for something that does, and let another collector enjoy it.

I did the same thing with Star Wars years ago... I had a lot of SW LEGO which I loved, but it was getting to be too much and I loved vintage GI Joe more.

I haven't really sold any of my figures yet, but I go on and off the wagon for long stretches due to financial shortcomings. I collect HT and it is an expensive hobby. I always wanted to buy 2 of my favorite figures...one to display and the other to keep boxed, but I cannot do that anymore and I will now need to sell/trade my doubles as it is just getting too expensive.

I change what I collect and progress to something else. I started off with Marvel Legends/DCUC figures and have slowly made my way to HTs.

So I've begun selling parts of my 6" figures to fund my HT purchases. As I mature, my collection matures lol

i cant bring myself to sell any statues, because i only buy what i like (and i like a lot of them). So most are just sitting in my storage unit since i dont have space. Also just upgraded to the larger ones paying $120 a month now for the space...it's kind sad...

DITTO on all previously posted reasons.

Collecting nowadays is not the same as say five years ago. The hobby changed. Collectors changed.

i cant bring myself to sell any statues, because i only buy what i like (and i like a lot of them). So most are just sitting in my storage unit since i dont have space. Also just upgraded to the larger ones paying $120 a month now for the space...it's kind sad...

Not sad...just, maybe, not well thought out...to be honest. You could sell them and keep what you have room to display and store in your home. I don't think any of them will be extinct thanks to eBay. You'll have a bunch of money in your pocket and not have to pay storage fees. So then whichever ones you really want, you can buy again. You might have a crazy addiction but you might also feel like a huge weight is off your back not having them any more. How can you enjoy them if they are boxed up and not in your house?

Whenever I sell off a chunk of my collection it's because of:

- loss of interest
- lack of display space
- sudden need of money to pay off bills or to save for something more important

NAILED IT!!!:clap:goodpost:

Question guys, Avatar Amp Suit Maquette or Optimus Prime Maquette ??? your thoughts and why ???

I sell either due to a lack of space and a need to thin the collection or because i've lost the love of the piece.

Haven't sold any statues yet.

_________

I've seen boardies who always have multiple things for sale, that's odd

Not sad...just, maybe, not well thought out...to be honest. You could sell them and keep what you have room to display and store in your home. I don't think any of them will be extinct thanks to eBay. You'll have a bunch of money in your pocket and not have to pay storage fees. So then whichever ones you really want, you can buy again. You might have a crazy addiction but you might also feel like a huge weight is off your back not having them any more. How can you enjoy them if they are boxed up and not in your house?

this is logical but the only problem is i spent so much effort to acquire them, sometimes have to go through 2-3 of them until i find one that has no lazy eye/paint issues.

For those who buys only from sideshow, dont realize how difficult it is or how lucky you have to be to score a perfect statue from resellers. Just this month only, i had 1 guy ship me a distressed statue as mint never mentioned sideshow wrote distressed on it, another sent me an alien with the tubes broke off, and 1 more sent an ironman with chips on hand & missing eyes...all as mint and all from this forum. People just suck. I have much better luck on ebay as they are a lot more strict on sellers falsifying their items.

I cant bring myself to sell any of my statues, it's almost a disease :(

/rant off

Last edited:
Collecting nowadays is not the same as say five years ago. The hobby changed. Collectors changed.

:exactly: Before it used to be crazy pre-ordering figures anymore I often wait until they hit For Sale thread catch them cheaper than retail. I'll pre-order if I want an exclusive or concern of it selling out but that is rare.

I find it funny when collector's attempt to sell in the threads at ebay prices. A few pieces may garner that but those days are over. The chances are good waiting will get a better deal later or HT will make another version.

is that a serious question? :monkey4

Yeah it was, I need to sell one to fund another project but i love them both. No news on any more Transformer Maquettes but plenty of new pandora product on the way so im just looking for peoples views. both pieces blow me away but prime looks plastic in spots that should look chrome but i might not land either again so im stuck as to which one :dunno

Yeah it was, I need to sell one to fund another project but i love them both. No news on any more Transformer Maquettes but plenty of new pandora product on the way so im just looking for peoples views. both pieces blow me away but prime looks plastic in spots that should look chrome but i might not land either again so im stuck as to which one :dunno

of course sell the amp suit unless you need the extra $1k cash Optimus fetches....

Optimus prime is one of sideshow's greatest creations ever...and it's Optimus prime!!

amp suit is nice but it's just another statue, and it's going for at least 20% below retail price on ebay

of course sell the amp suit unless you need the extra $1k cash Optimus fetches....

Optimus prime is one of sideshow's greatest creations ever...and it's Optimus prime!!

amp suit is nice but it's just another statue, and it's going for at least 20% below retail price on ebay

Yeah both nice pieces, Prime i will see a nice return but am likely to never see prime again. Amp i will lose money on selling atm :gah: plus if i got another chances are possible problems. I might go with one of my kidneys instead :lol If the gods are smiling i wont have to sell either one. Ill find out next week. Cheers for the input :hi5:

yes that's a big concern for those highly complex pieces, it will take a lot of luck to find a non-broken one off ebay if you want it back later on, as time goes on this becomes even more difficult.

if you have other simpler pieces i would be more inclined to sell them first, like spiderman comiq, hulk pf etc.. basically statues that wont get damaged easily. The price for them also pretty much plateaued so you can buy it back without a big loss in the future.

optimus prime & tychus findlay are the 2 statues that have to be pried from my cold dead hand, i will go homeless first before selling them :)

Thought I would weigh in as well. I have a sales thread going now and because I am moving cross country I will not have the room to display the collection the way I want to. I am still keeping some pieces that are dear to me in the hopes that I will be able to restart it again.

Back