So......why figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never drawn that association between fine art and dioramas, or giving the figures context - they've always been important to me and i somehow feel the figures alone are "unfinished" without having a snippet of world to exist in - but the intention is to further contextualize that character with a setting. I come from a fine art background as well, and your observation is one that works for me.
I've honestly been frustrated with myself at times feeling the compulsion to "tell every figure's story" - when you're talking 1/6, it takes up a lot of room!
I had (still have?) a fantasy as a kid that when Hills department store closed, each corner of that giant space could represent a different gi joe environment! But i wouldn't want to PLAY with them in it (that might disturb a critical set piece, haha), i would meticulously pose tell a visual story - like i would otherwise do with pencils on a piece of paper.
Very cool. I like that...
I'm going to tell my wife "I'm sorry that my collection sometimes overflows out of the basement upstairs, but it's really no different than these paintings here or the sculptures there, you see! If we hang the kids' stuff ON the refrigerator, can I have the space ON TOP of? I've got this dusty quasi future middle east "war ruins" wall diorama with all these sweet old propaganda posters on it... You"re gonna love it, i just know it!"

Off topic a bit, sorry!

A lot of the continued focus on figures I personally credit to the 80's action figure renaissance I grew up in. I grew a personal relationship with that stuff trying to navigate childhood traumas as well. Always learning more about, and practicing the craft of model making and figure posing is still where i find my "mindfulness".
I love these sorts of conversations, great topic to post.
Hi,
Thank you for sharing. It is possible that this thread may provide me with a cure.

Cause, since time immemorial ...
6xd9yq.gif
6xd9jq.gif

73hkfm.gif
73hm48.gif

Last edited:
Didn't know where else to put this, so I put it here.

Found this on Japanese twitter. It's very, very well done. Really impressed with how smooth the animation is and all the little details in the movements.

Clearly a lot of Japanese people also share our passion for poseable little plastic men.

Back