1/6 Why no love from Hot Toys for Rogue One, Cassian, Baze and Saw Gerrera ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Why no love from Hot Toys for Rogue One Krennic, Cassian and Baze ?

Speaking solely of Baze, I think it would be a lose-lose proposition for Hot Toys.

When Chirrut came out as one of the few Rogue One figures, many cried favoritism on account of it being a Chinese actor's character being produced by the Chinese Hot Toys, an argument which persists till today.

If they were to skip Baze, many, like myself, would be annoyed Chirrut won't have his other half to round out that duo.

If they were to produce Baze, this would simply fuel the "race-favoritism" arguments.

Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to add Baze to my lineup, but I can't see how this would work out well unless they put Baze on the backburner, which they already have done...

I agree. Also, I don't think many people care about him or his partner from that movie. They'd have trouble selling 2,000... and I'm sure they need to make more than that to even bother. If it made financial sense we would have him.

Like I said, its 15-20 years until the kiddies feasting on that movie now will grow into nostalgia-driven OCDers like us.

Speaking solely of Baze, I think it would be a lose-lose proposition for Hot Toys.

When Chirrut came out as one of the few Rogue One figures, many cried favoritism on account of it being a Chinese actor's character being produced by the Chinese Hot Toys, an argument which persists till today.

If they were to skip Baze, many, like myself, would be annoyed Chirrut won't have his other half to round out that duo.

If they were to produce Baze, this would simply fuel the "race-favoritism" arguments.

Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to add Baze to my lineup, but I can't see how this would work out well unless they put Baze on the backburner, which they already have done...

OK then release Krennic and Cassian, then get to Baze. :lol

Or just Krennic...

Benthic
Moroff...

Deathstar Trooper :lol

I agree. Also, I don't think many people care about him or his partner from that movie.

I think people may also be forgetting about likeness approval from Wen - perhaps HT never got it. Look at Drax, that took forever to come out and wasn't that because they had an issue getting his likeness approved?

I think people may also be forgetting about likeness approval from Wen - perhaps HT never got it. Look at Drax, that took forever to come out and wasn't that because they had an issue getting his likeness approved?

I think Drax was more the tooling for the body. But I wouldn't be surprised if approval took a long time too. If I were Disney or Bautista I wouldn't have approved that skinny body either.

That's a bit specific though, but any actor having a Hot Toys made of them, would normally jump at it I would have thought.

Hell I would !

I think Drax was more the tooling for the body. But I wouldn't be surprised if approval took a long time too. If I were Disney or Bautista I wouldn't have approved that skinny body either.

That's a bit specific though, but any actor having a Hot Toys made of them, would normally jump at it I would have thought.

Hell I would !

Wasn't Andrew Garfield another actor they couldn't get likeness rights for?

Why no love from Hot Toys for Rogue One Krennic, Cassian and Baze ?

Mickey Mouse own those rights. No additional approval needed. It’s not Fox or Sony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to understand more about the likeness approval from the actor/actress for the action figure if you please could share the source ?

I would like to understand more about the likeness approval from the actor/actress for the action figure if you please could share the source ?

I was under the impression that when you signed up for a Star Wars movie you sign away your likeness in perpetuity, but there are Hot Toys interviews where the reasons given for other MIA or delayed figures was due to getting likeness approval from the actors, so I was just speculating that may also be the case with Wen. Without being privy to the actual movie contracts, we will never know who gets likeness approval and who signs it away regardless of the franchise or studio.

Here is a basic explanation of merchandising clauses.

Why no love from Hot Toys for Rogue One Krennic, Cassian and Baze ?

Are you not thinking of “pending licensor approval” tags at cons, at least as far as the Star Wars figures go?

The actors have no say in what their likeness is used for. When you sign into the MCU or Star Wars, one of the conditions is that your likeness can be used for any kind of promotion or merchandising without consent. So, Hot Toys wouldn't need approval from any of the actors - they would only need approval from Lucasfilm.

At this point, Lucasfilm isn't the issue - it's just Hot Toys not wanting to do these figures.

The actors have no say in what their likeness is used for. When you sign into the MCU or Star Wars, one of the conditions is that your likeness can be used for any kind of promotion or merchandising without consent. So, Hot Toys wouldn't need approval from any of the actors - they would only need approval from Lucasfilm.

At this point, Lucasfilm isn't the issue - it's just Hot Toys not wanting to do these figures.

Not True. Some big-name actors do have clauses in their contracts that gives them final approval on anything that uses their likeness. Unless you are a lawyer for Lucasfilm, Disney, or Hot Toys, etc. (perhaps you are) you don't know for sure. I'm not saying they do or don't because I am not an attorney who specializes in Entertainment contracts; I am just speculating that this could be one of a 1000 reasons some of these figures never see the light of day.

I'd buy a Cassian Andor figure. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the Rebel commandos that were in the Scarif attack as well.

I was under the impression that when you signed up for a Star Wars movie you sign away your likeness in perpetuity, but there are Hot Toys interviews where the reasons given for other MIA or delayed figures was due to getting likeness approval from the actors, so I was just speculating that may also be the case with Wen. Without being privy to the actual movie contracts, we will never know who gets likeness approval and who signs it away regardless of the franchise or studio.

Here is a basic explanation of merchandising clauses.

ok but what about those black series, hasbro, egg attack ? The likeness is awful but still if according to you the actor/actress still approve ?

You could see Director Krennic and Baze figures there. At this point I might lean to RandomHero post, its just up to Hot Toys decision lol

ok but what about those black series, hasbro, egg attack ? The likeness is awful but still if according to you the actor/actress still approve ?

You could see Director Krennic and Baze figures there. At this point I might lean to RandomHero post, its just up to Hot Toys decision lol

I'm not saying any Star Wars actor has likeness approval. I have no idea. I was just suggesting the possibility. I could be right, I could be wrong. Only Lucasfilm and Hot Toys know why none of these figures have been made yet.

I'm not saying any Star Wars actor has likeness approval. I have no idea. I was just suggesting the possibility. I could be right, I could be wrong. Only Lucasfilm and Hot Toys know why none of these figures have been made yet.

I believe Hot Toys has already made prototypes for most of the SW characters. Its just now up to their decision whethere or not to public release. The postpone maybe due to the cost of mass production ? Or approval from Lucasfilm... or whichever the reason is :D

With Star Wars you’re most likely wrong. Except for that one Tonnika sister.

I'd buy a Cassian Andor figure. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the Rebel commandos that were in the Scarif attack as well.

I'd get him in a heartbeat too. But it's a waiting game. Maybe one of these days when HT get's bored and Rogue One becomes a classic.

Just saw this and was thinking I bet if the Knights of Ren are in Ep9 Hot Toys will only do half of them.

b5996c64b-1.jpg

Back