Why hasn't Bale been praised for Batman role in TDK?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can agree with that. And, truth-be-told, I much prefer Nolan's gritty and grounded take on the subject matter than any previous film iterations, by far. Taking Batman and those characters and making crime dramas more akin to "Heat" or "Serpico" was a brilliant creative decision, and Nolan does it very well. However, some people make it seem as if he's re-invented the art of filmmaking or something. I've even seen a post (can't remember it was here) from someone saying that "TDK shows that Nolan is already one of the Top 3 filmmakers of all-time." Wows.

Well he's changed the face of how a comic film can be done and
taken more seriously. Nolan has definitely become one of my personal
favorites over the years. I wouldn't say he's the of the top 3, yet,
but he has the potential for it.

I like to think of them as a "realistic fantasy". They're more down to earth, and easier to relate to...but not too real that they become downright boring. Its escapism.

Well Nolan has called it heightened reality, which is just as you've stated realistic fantasy. Which is why I don't understand why many people believe its
still realism in the absolute sense. Which pretty much means that even the more fantasy geared characters such as Robin, Freeze and Clayface are not out of the question.

Last edited:
Yeah, Bale doesn't make batman into a whiny little ^^^^^ which im sure would be very easy to do with the wrong actor. He isn't the same as how I picture batman while I read the comics, but I think he works in that way. In a way, heath is extremely joker and christian is extremely batman without being carbon copies of what you see on the pages the books.

A nutty rich guy with alot of cool toys and a complex, who dresses up like a bat to scare and beat the crap out of criminals, because one happened to kill his parents when he was a kid?

I'm as big a Batman fan as most people, but the character is still obviously pretty ridiculous, especially when he's portrayed in a "gritty", "realistic" setting.

I thought Tim Burton did the best job at capturing the tone and world of Batman. It had the perfect blend of darkness, seriousness and tounge-in cheek humor, without turning it into a full-on spoof (though Nolan's films have stronger shooting scripts.)

I still really like Nolan's films, especially Begins, I just thought the entire tone of TDK was taken way too seriously, save for the Joker (which seems to be why everybody loved Ledger's portrayal. )

Oh yeah you seem like a really big fan, all you do is mock the Character and his Actions by calling him Nutty, Hilarious, and Ridiculous......oh but I forgot, you REALLY like Nolans films!! :rolleyes:

Go back to watchin Sat morning Cartoons, your the one whose Hilarious....I'm done!!

Take it easy, chief. Batman isn't exactly a documentary-style character, but I enjoy his films and comics for what they are - escapist entertainment. Just like I love Indiana Jones, James Bond, and classic monster movies.

And I'm sorry I'm not a big enough fan, even though I own a few graphic novels, all four volumes of BTAS on DVD, as well as both Burton films (on DVD and VHS,) both Nolan films on Blu Ray (in their limited collector's editions,) a bunch of the action figures, a couple batmobile toys, and the 170 dollar dolls from Hot Toys, as well as original posters from Batman Forever and TDK.

I guess I have to turn in my Batman fan-card, now, just because I don't respect the character like an Iraq war veteran (and I thought the Exp. date was FOREVER!)

Last edited:
Wooosh!

What I am trying to do is make some of the guys lighten up in here. I can't believe people in here are finding fault in this movie. Could you have imagined that a classic movie like this would get made after Batman and Robin?

Ooohhhhhh.... ok.

And I knew that more Batman films would be made, but just not this good :lol

Bale is the best Batman/Bruce Wayne since Michael Keaton. He definitely deserves praise.

Keaton was a decent Bruce Wayne, but his Batman was lacking. Or should I say his believability as Batman wasnt there.

Batman is a human being that does extraordinary things out of shear will power. He is a super hero, but he is still bound by human laws, meaning he has to be in peak physical condition and agile/athletic. Those qualities would have an impact on his physical appearance. Keaton lacked that physical prowess that lends toward believability. Bale works as Bruce Wayne, and his appearance physically allows you to believe he could be Batman. IMO anyway. (Still like the 1989 Keaton Batman!).

I do too. Having both Burton's, and Nolans, makes a good contrast. I enjoy them both for different reasons.

Keaton was a decent Bruce Wayne, but his Batman was lacking. Or should I say his believability as Batman wasnt there.

Batman is a human being that does extraordinary things out of shear will power. He is a super hero, but he is still bound by human laws, meaning he has to be in peak physical condition and agile/athletic. Those qualities would have an impact on his physical appearance. Keaton lacked that physical prowess that lends toward believability. Bale works as Bruce Wayne, and his appearance physically allows you to believe he could be Batman. IMO anyway. (Still like the 1989 Keaton Batman!).

I would have to agree with you here but only as Bruce Wayne. His appearance as Batman was fine, his movements and overall look almost 20 years later still looka good and believable.

I just don't "buy it" (Keaton) as Bruce Wayne. He didn't make a good Bruce Wayne.

I would have to agree with you here but only as Bruce Wayne. His appearance as Batman was fine, his movements and overall look almost 20 years later still looka good and believable.

I just don't "buy it" (Keaton) as Bruce Wayne. He didn't make a good Bruce Wayne.

Well I think one thing that hurt Keaton's Bruce Wayne was Burten's portrayl of the character. Wayne is a playboy millionair thats spoiled and shallow, but not stupid. Burten played Bruce Wayne as a Clark Kent character. More of a bumbling loner with poor people skills.

Case in point the date/dinner scene with Vicky Vale where he has her sitting at the opposite end of a giant table and is completely lacking in interpersonal skill. The public Bruce Wayne would have a super romantic candle lit dinner and be coming on strong. Actual Bruce Wayne would be charming, considerate and down to earth. Clark Kent on the other hand would be a big dork like that.

yeah, i just dont really like the weirdo aspect of his Wayne, again while im a much bigger fan of teh Nolan series due to my love of the comics, i enjoy both series for what they did.
His Batman looked badass, but the characterisation isnt my favourite, mostly due to the lack of Batman and killing etc

Well I think one thing that hurt Keaton's Bruce Wayne was Burten's portrayl of the character. Wayne is a playboy millionair thats spoiled and shallow, but not stupid. Burten played Bruce Wayne as a Clark Kent character. More of a bumbling loner with poor people skills.

Case in point the date/dinner scene with Vicky Vale where he has her sitting at the opposite end of a giant table and is completely lacking in interpersonal skill. The public Bruce Wayne would have a super romantic candle lit dinner and be coming on strong. Actual Bruce Wayne would be charming, considerate and down to earth. Clark Kent on the other hand would be a big dork like that.

I was just referring to his overall appearance in tuxedos/suits and what not but now that you mention it his personality lacked too. Dry and boring. It was almost like he had too much on his mind to really "be all there" I can see maybe Burton leaning towards that in terms of his personality but still it was odd imo.

The main thing Burton's Batman lacked was a back story (besides the whole parents being killd thing...). It would have helped everyone digest Keaton's Wayne and Batman better. They focused more on Joker's backstory. I guess though, if they did that, we may not have gotten Batman Begins.

To me, Bale is the best of the bunch that has played Bats. He is a great Bruce Wayne and a great Batman (the voice doesn't bother me as much as it used to). However, I don't know that he needs to be nominated or anything to show how good he did.

Nolan's Batman movies are the best, to be sure, of the movies. Burton's was great for its time, but to me, it doesn't hold up very well. I will be interested in seeing Begins and TDK 20 years down the road to see if I still feel the same about them as I do now.

Back