Why hasn't Bale been praised for Batman role in TDK?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A nutty rich guy with alot of cool toys and a complex, who dresses up like a bat to scare and beat the crap out of criminals, because one happened to kill his parents when he was a kid?

I'm as big a Batman fan as most people, but the character is still obviously pretty ridiculous, especially when he's portrayed in a "gritty", "realistic" setting.

:lecture

I love Batman (and the Nolan films are by far the best Batflicks), but that is absolutely true.

After Batman and Robin, Realistic was the only logical way to go. After Nolan's films, I'd be happy to return to comic book style.

I don't have a problem with Nolan's films or how they're made at all. In fact, bring on more! They're tremendous. But I also think some people take them a bit too seriously. They're gritty and take place in a real world setting, yes, but they're really not all that realistic in many ways. As has been said, the very notion of Batman and all of what he does while having even a semi-functional Billionaire alter-ego is pretty laughable.

Also, as good as TDK is... there is absolutely nothing about the movie that is "underrated" at this point.

I like to think of them as a "realistic fantasy". They're more down to earth, and easier to relate to...but not too real that they become downright boring. Its escapism.

I can agree with that. And, truth-be-told, I much prefer Nolan's gritty and grounded take on the subject matter than any previous film iterations, by far. Taking Batman and those characters and making crime dramas more akin to "Heat" or "Serpico" was a brilliant creative decision, and Nolan does it very well. However, some people make it seem as if he's re-invented the art of filmmaking or something. I've even seen a post (can't remember it was here) from someone saying that "TDK shows that Nolan is already one of the Top 3 filmmakers of all-time." Wows.

Oh yeah lol i understand as a fan of the film that for the majority of people that Ledger did make the film for them, i was only really stating that you cant say it did that for 100% everyone, but yeah he pretty much got the most praise and why not he derserved it.
I just said while i dont mind if Bale doesnt win anything, he did a damn good job, as much as Ledger at the end of the day, when communicating the character to the audience, not saying one is better than the other, lol hope that sounds right :D

perfect :)

I agree totally. It's over-acting to try to compensate for the suit restricting what facial emotions he can convey. Plus he's having to deal with dialogue that is pretty schmaltzy - even without a couple of pounds of rubber on his head and a story-driven need to disguise his voice it would be pretty difficult to find the subtlety needed to sell those lines. Still, it's a continuing problem Bale will have to learn to deal with if he's to keep playing the character - his voice acting has come under criticism in both films. I still think the scene in BB where he interrogates Flass is beyond ridiculous - the delivery of the lines is incredibly "one-note" and the snarling/visibly shaking with rage thing so overdone that anytime I watch it I cringe.

his batman is a pissed off version batman. He is not static, he is in that case the oposite of the Keaton Batman who has a whole different approach, the guy hardly spoke, hardly moved hardley did anything, but that wasn't a bad thing, it fitted the gothic dark mystical approach of the Burton batmanfilms.

This nolan approach is completely different. Batman is a more of a talker, he even bends his knees as batman :) He is more dynamic, so what did you expect when he interrogates somebody? that he uses his silent acting skills? no he is emotional and pissed off. The voice, the shouting, it fitted perfectly!

I remember the first time I watched this scene in the theatre, my reaction was :horror that is one pissed off batman! Never came across to think it was "overacting" or something, it just fitted the character!

Even though a grown man in a a puffy-faced, rubber Bat costume beating the crap out of a clown in a gritty, "realistic" interrogation scene, isn't?

It works in the context of the movie, but I still find the scene ridiculous.

it is easy, if you don't get that scene, you don't get the movie (and batman)
and than I can understand your critics.

Because, that scene was the emotional heart and soul of the movie.

his batman is a pissed off version batman. He is not static, he is in that case the oposite of the Keaton Batman who has a whole different approach, the guy hardly spoke, hardly moved hardley did anything, but that wasn't a bad thing, it fitted the gothic dark mystical approach of the Burton batmanfilms.

This nolan approach is completely different. Batman is a more of a talker, he even bends his knees as batman :) He is more dynamic, so what did you expect when he interrogates somebody? that he uses his silent acting skills? no he is emotional and pissed off. The voice, the shouting, it fitted perfectly!

I remember the first time I watched this scene in the theatre, my reaction was :horror that is one pissed off batman! Never came across to think it was "overacting" or something, it just fitted the character!

Well actually when we saw him talking to Gordon about Flass he was quite self-controlled. The next time we see him he's shaking and growling. There was no dramatic arc to take him there, it was an incredibly tight close-up which accentuated the emotion even more, he started so intense in that interaction that it left him nowhere to go emotionally in that scene, and it all seemed to me reminiscent of a little boy playing at being a scary monster. Which, in another context of an exploration of Wayne's psyche and development would actually be a quite interesting point to explore, but in the context that the scene functioned in (and the function it had to play in the plot) it was just ridiculous to me.

Still, diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks...

After Batman and Robin, Realistic was the only logical way to go. After Nolan's films, I'd be happy to return to comic book style.

yeah maybe. But with comic book styles you have different subgenres. We saw that with the Burton comic style and the Schumacher comic style...
If we go the comic style, always choose the non-campy way please. We had enough camp for this character.

I can agree with that. And, truth-be-told, I much prefer Nolan's gritty and grounded take on the subject matter than any previous film iterations, by far. Taking Batman and those characters and making crime dramas more akin to "Heat" or "Serpico" was a brilliant creative decision, and Nolan does it very well. However, some people make it seem as if he's re-invented the art of filmmaking or something. I've even seen a post (can't remember it was here) from someone saying that "TDK shows that Nolan is already one of the Top 3 filmmakers of all-time." Wows.

I agree, that is pushing it...

maybe "one of the best filmmaker in recent years" yeah (for instance a nice refference: most of his films except 1 did not make it in the top 250 of imdb)
but saying he's one of the top 3 of all time, I bet those people didn't see ALL the acclaimed movies of the other top 2 directors. Before someone says that, they should look everything else that is good.

Maybe one day. The man has only directed like what, 8 films? I know 4 of them are on the top 250 list judging my imdb user votes.

that is not an issue actullay when you see how many movies James Cameron has made, I think Cameron even made less full lenght movies than Nolan....

edit: he made 6 notable movies. Pirhana 2 not included and the 2 upcoming movies.
so the amount of movies is not very important to be seen as a masterfilmmaker. As long as your movies are masterpieces.

so the amount of movies is not very important to be seen as a masterfilmmaker. As long as your movies are masterpieces.

That's what I actually meant and was getting at, but didn't word it right at 6am without any sleep. I was trying to say he doesn't have many films, but he has quality.

I think you mean to say that it's the thematic "heart and soul" of the movie, which it probably is. But it's not very emotional (except for Batman's brief outburst).

I think you mean to say that it's the thematic "heart and soul" of the movie, which it probably is. But it's not very emotional (except for Batman's brief outburst).
that outburst was long enough :)
otherwise people would complain it was too lang either...

Oh, I appreciate it in the context of the film, but if it happened in real life, it would be hilarious! Plus, there's no way the cops would let a vigilante, let alone one dressed like that into an interrogation room like that anyway.

But it's all fantasy so I can deal with it. Just not fans who think it's the greatest drama ever made.

why i dont think it is the best drama ever lol i think its very stupid that you cant take that fans think it is, its all down to personal enjoyment and what you take out of the movie, where its only your opionen that it isnt the best drama ever where others might disagree:)

Bale does deserve praise to me. Bale is probably the biggest reason I love Nolan Batman movies, his portrayal of Bruce Wayne and Batman to me is the best done yet and tough to be, it's made him a favorite actor of mine. There is something about how he plays him that you become invested in him, you want things to work out for him, you feel when he's pained, you root for him when he goes after the bad guys. Bale is probably one of the more underrated actors working right now.

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

I thought it was emotional because Batman finally almost went beyond his limit of restraint. We also find out Joker's true motives and character about "wanting to highlight man's hypocrisy" as Bale put it in an interview. Before that, we thought he was just a guy wiping people out for money.

bale is not a bad actor, but he ain't epic

He's a damn good character actor imo. Besides the whole Batman issue since some don't like his voice (I'm partial), his mannerisms and voice in American Psycho are far different than the 2 brothers he played in the Prestige for example. He makes it all seem believable. There's no denying he's not as good as say Johnny Depp though (I'm a bigger Bale fan, but there's no denying Depp is the better actor).

Back