Which Film Owned 2019?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which film owned 2019?

• Joker

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Avengers: End Game

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters
The really weird thing is Birth of a Nation -- once taught in all film schools as the birth of basic cinematic language -- the wide shot, the close up, the reverse, everything -- and now it has been erased from consciousness over the last 30 years because of its values. It doesn't change the fact that it was first to do many things on film that became THE language of the medium -- much like Citizen Kane was the first of the modern cinematic language -- but DW Griffith and his film are now "the things that shall not be named."

I'm still not sure if that's wrong or right to do. I mean, we still relish the Constitution but it has lots of stuff in it from a darker time in history. Shouldn't we dump that too?

It's wrong to erase it. There is a clear difference between acknowledging and studying a film for its contribution to the art of cinema, and celebrating the message or views of said film. Erasing history only makes people more ignorant.

Just put a disclaimer explaining the obvious, like they do with old cartoons.Different times and mentality...It's real and it happened.

1991 - Silence of the Lambs

People were obsessed with that movie. There aren't many movies that can come out in February, and still manage to win a large number of Oscars nearly a year later.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would still say that Endgame owned the year... It was the final of a 10 year span of films and broke box office records and the masses for the most part loved it.

1991 - Silence of the Lambs

People were obsessed with that movie. There aren't many movies that can come out in February, and still manage to win a large number of Oscars nearly a year later.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Over T2? I don't know.

Silence is still great and it definitely left a mark on pop culture.

Joker. Raw and a pretty accurate portrayal of depression leading to madness leading to chaos. Fleck knew he was damaged goods (not completely until gaining his records) but he tried to get a handle on his mental illness, sought professional help, tried to be a good son to his mother. But he was fallible human being --just like we all are.

I don't know about the public zeitgeist....everyone's so damn fickle these days. They consume, forget, and move on to the next thing to consume. If Endgame was a big deal, I'd never know it now. It's all but forgotten by the general public.....just like Joker will be in a few months with the exception of that stair scene. Just like Avatar was sooooo hot for like 6 months but now I bet nobody here could actually name the three main characters. I can't. Who was it..Jake? Nuala? General Frag? Hell if I know.

For me personally, the movie of 2019 was AKIRA. I saw it in the theater six times. I was lucky enough to be near Tokyo where fans celebrated the movie all year long. Very very cool, but that's just me, is all I'm saying.

Its not for me to decide. My point is, there's any number of ways to designate a year by film. There's almost never a singular film experience that crosses every culture and generation in one year. So there's no wrong answer... I think that was what I was trying to says a couple days ago.

For me, 2019 will be Joker.

Unless for some odd reason I decide a few years from now that I really do like Endgame much more than I think I do now. Which I doubt. For me, Endgame, like TROS, simply signifies the end of a major franchise in 2019. That's huge. And a bit of a relief, because I like adventure movies and actions movies of all types and was getting quite tired of the Marvel machine cranking out its three-movies-a-year at the expense of newer, fresher action/adventure movies that weren't getting made and couldn't play against the MCU to justify a budget.

I think I?ll have to change my vote to joker as well. With all the domestic terrorism happening all over the world, kids shooting kids and such, the joker hits home much more and feels more apt. Unfortunate but true.

endgame will still be my favorite of this year. But it doesn?t speak to these dark times the same way joker does.

I think I?ll have to change my vote to joker as well. With all the domestic terrorism happening all over the world, kids shooting kids and such, the joker hits home much more and feels more apt. Unfortunate but true.

endgame will still be my favorite of this year. But it doesn?t speak to these dark times the same way joker does.

Strange, but I always thought that was one of the main reasons to go to the movies - to set aside the "dark times" of the real world and immerse oneself in a bit of escapism. Now it seems that many of us expect/demand a darker tone, even in our comics-inspired films. I think the Nolanverse's success may have been the catalyst.

I don't want a darker tone, I like escapism, that's why I prefer Endgame to Joker - Joker is a dark, hopeless film that ends in violence... Endgame has loss, but at least there is a heart at the core of it and survivors with hope at the end. I see these days as hopeless, and the only reason I would change my vote to Joker is because in its own way it sums up 2019, it is not my favorite film by a long shot and Endgame is superior in many ways, but Joker excels at telling a hopeless story of deterioration and trajedy - that sums up reality pretty well.

I think we're stuck with darker entertainment, like it or not, as far as the future goes. Either that or Disney Pollyana-ism/feminism... niether is really realistic, both are off-balance, but it's an off-balance world society we live in.

Personally this is the last year I will go to the movies, I see where they're headed and it doesn't interest me - all the politicalism and darkness. I'm happy with watching selections from my own collection, new stuff generally doesn't grab me so much. Maybe one movie and tv show a year that really grabs me at all, the rest is so much drivel/fluff.

So, for my favorite film of 2019 Endgame.
For the film from those two that best sums up the real world of 2019, Joker.

It's kind of ironic. The MCU started in 2008 with Iron Man and that same year TDK came out, and Ledger won the Oscar for the Joker. In 2019, the Iron Man story comes to an end (for now), and the same year Joker comes out and might get an Oscar again.

Just goes to show, people are drawn to death, and that is nothing new. They like the self-destructive nature of the Joker character, it can be cathartic.

Back