Tropic Thunder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a huge Jack Black fan, but between the...

Myyyyyyyyyyy.... asssssssssssssssssssssss!

and the "offer" he makes to get untied...

He earned some serious brownie points.

Of course RDJ stole the movie as expected. That crooked smile.

Great comedy. My favorite this year so far.

Coogan's final scene really blew me away. :lol

Great movie, just got back from seeing it. RDJ was easily the best part, with Tom Cruise just kicking ass :rock At times the movie felt a tad long... but aside from that I really enjoyed it.

And yeah, full retard isn't too PC, but sure was a funny ass scene :lol

Oh, and loved the trailers... Satan's Alley had me rolling.

I can't believe that Owen Wilson was once slated for Matthew McConaughey's part of Rick Peck. I just don't see Wilson being able to play that part as understated enough to make it work....not to mention that originally Rick Peck was supposed to a brief cameo and unaccredited. I wonder what made them expand the role, it definitely works but should be interesting to hear the rationale around it.

I can't believe that Owen Wilson was once slated for Matthew McConaughey's part of Rick Peck. I just don't see Wilson being able to play that part as understated enough to make it work....not to mention that originally Rick Peck was supposed to a brief cameo and unaccredited. I wonder what made them expand the role, it definitely works but should be interesting to hear the rationale around it.

Mcconaughey is basically playing himself and Wilson playing himself would have fit just as well I think. It was a funny role, but hardly as defining as Cruise or Downey.

Oh definitely, the thing is that Cruise definitely stole the show, every single scene he was in was his, I would argue more than Downey.

Owen and Ben are great friends but this was probably being made while Owen was recovering from his possible suicide attempt.

Oh definitely, the thing is that Cruise definitely stole the show, every single scene he was in was his, I would argue more than Downey.

I agree with that, but I don't think he could have played one of the major roles better than the cast actors. Really just a perfect bit of casting with him.

Owen and Ben are great friends but this was probably being made while Owen was recovering from his possible suicide attempt.

That is exactly what happened actually. Owen was slated for that part, tried to commit suicide and pulled out and was replaced with McConaughey. The thing I was bringing up is that Owen's original role was a bit cameo where people were supposed to just recognize him like they do with some of the other cameos.

Now, Variety tells us they've found Wilson's replacement in one Matthew McConaughey. But you McConaughey fans shouldn't get your hopes up too much, as Variety claims "the job amounts to an uncredited cameo." So no matter who took on the part, we still would've been left with the same response: "Oh, look, it's blah blah blah in a cameo role. Ain't that cute?"

So obviously the role was expanded, so was Cruise's role because originally he was supposed to be a quick uncredited cameo as well. I'm just wondering at what point it occurred and stating that I didn't see Owen Wilson who usually just plays Owen Wilson being able to hold that expanded role.

I enjoyed it, but expected it to be a bit more clever than it was. It started out really really well, but then deteriorated into 'easy laugh' / fart-joke territory. But RDJ was AWESOME through the whole thing. Definitely the best part of it. I liked Cruise until they made his character start dancing all the time. Funny, but not clever. I prefer the kind of humor that at first makes me go 'WTF?' and then a couple seconds later it hits and I start rolling around on the floor. RDJ had a few of those, but the others were more in-your-face, laugh at my 'Booty Sweat' and drug cliché jokes, etc.

I agree with Wofford about how it felt like Hollywood patting-themselves-on-the-back for the most part. "We realize we are like this as a group, and yet we do nothing about it and continue to pay actors outlandish salaries and play to the lowest common denominator. Aren't we cute? And aren't we clever for making fun of it in such a satirical manner?"

I also missed the part from the trailers where Stiller is being held captive and is fighting the guy and kicks him really hard and says, "Sorry, you leaned into that one!" (or whatever). Guess that was cut?

I give it 3/5. I may like it better on a second viewing - that's how I was with Something About Mary.

Does anyone know if they are making the mockumentary about the making of? That looked hilarious!

I also missed the part from the trailers where Stiller is being held captive and is fighting the guy and kicks him really hard and says, "Sorry, you leaned into that one!" (or whatever). Guess that was cut?

I noticed that too... guess they decided to have him realize it was real earlier in the film.

I enjoyed it. TC was good and of course RDJ stole the movie. Nice homage to PLATOON--- among so many other films.:lol

Saw this today. It was really good. RDJ was great an very unrecognizable. Between the black make-up and the blue eyes and blonde hair looks, it was really hard to see him, but he did an amazing job!

Tom Cruise stole the show for me. I didn't even know he was in this and all that make-up! Best role he has EVER played :lol

"forgive me father for I have sinned"

HAHA, best part of the movie 'Satan's Alley' with Kirk Lazarus and Tobey Maguire.

Loved the end credits as much as anything in it. That frozen shot of the flying kid still has me laughing! Great stuff. Wild. Coulda been better, but coulda been a whole lot worse.

Just saw it tonight---

It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. Let's be honest---Stiller needed this as badly as Cruise did---and I think everyone pulled it off.

Downey stole the show for me at least.

I saw it last night... it was OK
way overrated IMO... Some funny jokes and moments, but sometimes it felt like they tried to hard and forced.
Tom Cruise was great, specially at the beginning...
I still hate Stiller...
Downey was great!
But a forgettable movie...

Back