The Banshees of Inisherin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victοr

BANNED
Reaction score

Conflict arises between two friends when one of them abruptly ends their friendship, with alarming consequences for both of them.

New film by McDonagh, and he's teaming up once again with Farrell and Gleeson. It's launching in a month or so. Honestly, it's been too long since 3 Billboards. What, 3 yea- 5. Huh. It's been 5 years. 5 years. Yup... God, I hate the passage of time... It looks right up my alley mood-wise and I'm sure there'll be some twists and turns storywise. There's always murder involved in his movies, so I'm expecting some violent turns at the very least.

Beyond that, I'm always up for Colin Farrell. Seriously underrated actor which is something I don't understand. I think it's just that the 00s bad boy roles turned him into just that in the public consciousness and all his dramas and more varied performances ended up going unnoticed by the general audience. He's one of my fancasts for Doom, actually, but it's highly unlikely. I'm not gonna get someone like Toby Stephens either. Jaime Dornan's someone I've heard recently, but I still think Fassbender is a likely choice. Aaaaaaand I'm rambling again. I could delete it, but I won't. Stream of consciousness. It's the principle of it.

Anyway, it's one of the few films I'm looking forward to. Too few movies interest me these days.

I thought all of McDonagh's work was Oscar bait and overrated.

Saying that, Colin Farrell is awesome. He stole Batman as old Oz, and he has some fantastic credits under his belt the last decade between True Detective, The North Water, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Gentlemen, and After Yang.

I thought all of McDonagh's work was Oscar bait and overrated.
There is an underlaying shared theme, where the plots are all dark yet juxtaposed with quirky/sarcastic characters to make it seem as a take on the absurdity of life or some other such statement, which can get pretentious and annoying. It was too obvious in 3 Billboards, but only if we're supposed to take it at face value and there's no extra layer. So technically I will agree that there is an air of, I wouldn't call it Oscar Bait, but more "self-importance" coming off them. However, he works with very talented casts and from a technical standpoint they're a treat to look at, with the stories themselves always being interesting. So in an era where I can barely remember any of the new films that I watch, I'm willing to cut him some slack.

Saying that, Colin Farrell is awesome. He stole Batman as old Oz, and he has some fantastic credits under his belt the last decade between True Detective, The North Water, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, The Gentlemen, and After Yang.
Hear hear. It still makes me wonder why not more people take him seriously. He's got a ton more range than a lot of actors the general audience praises. Oh, and Miss Julie was pretty good too...

tumblr_os4smyiI0B1w7gf9co3_500.gifv

But yeah, he's the only reason I'm even looking forward to the Oz show. I didn't love TB and I've never much cared for the Penguin, but Farrell hamming it up as paisan Oswald(o) was great. Here's to hoping he also comes back in the sequel and we can get more scenes with him and Battinson.

The sad thing is, I can't think of any newer stars, in that 20s bracket, that I've been impressed by. There's Chalamet, obviously. Pattinson's older but I still consider him part of the "new breed" and he's obviously shown his chops. I'd even say Kristen Stewart did some good work in recent years, especially with Assayas. What else... Saoirse Ronan; been a fan since Brooklyn (she and Chalamet have a lot of chemistry, so I have to say, a red dye job and a tan and she'd have been a great Chani). But she doesn't have a lot of luck picking roles. The last ones she did and I liked were Lady Bird and Little Women (now that I mentioned it, I might rewatch it tonight). Austin Butler really gave it his all in Elvis, so I'm curious to see where he goes. Nothing else comes to mind. Fassbender and McAvoy were the last two that really impressed me and I thought would go places. McAvoy is still doing good work, but Fassbender crashed it all. However, he's an F1 driver now, so I don't think he cares much. He might be attempting a comeback though, as he did a film with Fincher and Swinton based on a French comic (pretty fun, if trite story-wise; could make for an entertaining watch).

Fassbender's first love is racing. He acts just to pay bills now.

I remember seeing Farrell in Minority Report 20 years ago and thinking he acted Cruise off the screen.

Nowadays, there are only a handful of actors I would watch in anything.

Oscar Isaac and Christian Bale are two major examples.

It's been years since I last watched MR, but I've liked him ever since Miami Vice. I generally like that movie a lot, even if mostly for the aesthetics.

I have a shortlist too, but it's a bit bigger because some actors I just like them from a charisma perspective so I give all their projects a shot. Movie-wise anyhow. I've been wanting to watch "His Dark Materials" because of McAvoy for a while, but I just can't invest all that time in a show that looks meh to me.

Back