"The Predator" by Shane Black (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m expecting this to be on cable in about a month or so. No rush to waste money to see it in the theatre.

I figure it can't be worse than THE MEG I saw that on a Thursday :lol

I don't get out much
eww3.gif

It's nice to have the consistency in that all the greatest 80's movie monsters (Alien, Terminator, Predator) have been destroyed by corporate greed in the end.

Cameron will prove you wrong with Latinonator!

Now where did I put that baby Clint Howard gif always misplacing him when I need it most.

Of course it was gonna be a turd. It's co written by Fred Dekker who directed and co wrote Robocop 3. I just went ahead and read spoilers and boy am I glad I'm giving this one a wide berth.

Holy crap Dekker is responsible for R3 didn’t know that!

His Monster Squad is also crap don’t know why that has a cult following.

It does right lol

Had Arnold not dropped out of this movie here is the original ending:

In Dekker and Black's original screenplay, however, this scene (Predator armor suit) isn't there. Instead, McKenna, his son, Rory (Jacob Tremblay) and Casey Bracket (Olivia Munn) have all just survived the final attack of the Super Predator (referred to as "The Upgrade" in the script) when a helicopter lands. Out climbs...Dutch Schaeffer (Arnold Schwarzenegger), his "face haunted; etched by pain." Dutch tells the trio to come with him, and when Rory asks, "Uh...me, too?", the franchise's second-most iconic badass smiles and says "Especially you."

Cut to black.

[FONT=&]In Dekker and Black's original screenplay, however, this scene (Predator armor suit) isn't there. Instead, McKenna, his son, Rory (Jacob Tremblay) and Casey Bracket (Olivia Munn) have all just survived the final attack of the Super Predator (referred to as "The Upgrade" in the script) when a helicopter lands. Out climbs...Dutch Schaeffer (Arnold Schwarzenegger), his "face haunted; etched by pain." Dutch tells the trio to come with him, and when Rory asks, "Uh...me, too?", the franchise's second-most iconic badass smiles and says "Especially you." [/FONT]
[FONT=&]
Cut to black.[/FONT]

I would have happily taken that ending to what actually happened.
This film, and many other sequels have done one major thing, and thats given old fans a money shot IE Alien in Covenant, and then put their own spin with current happenings into the film. There isn’t any heart or soul.

I would have happily taken that ending to what actually happened.
This film, and many other sequels have done one major thing, and thats given old fans a money shot IE Alien in Covenant, and then put their own spin with current happenings into the film. There isn’t any heart or soul.

Because Hollywood doesn’t have any balls anymore

[FONT=&]In Dekker and Black's original screenplay, however, this scene (Predator armor suit) isn't there. Instead, McKenna, his son, Rory (Jacob Tremblay) and Casey Bracket (Olivia Munn) have all just survived the final attack of the Super Predator (referred to as "The Upgrade" in the script) when a helicopter lands. Out climbs...Dutch Schaeffer (Arnold Schwarzenegger), his "face haunted; etched by pain." Dutch tells the trio to come with him, and when Rory asks, "Uh...me, too?", the franchise's second-most iconic badass smiles and says "Especially you." [/FONT]
[FONT=&]
Cut to black.[/FONT]

Did Arnold say: Come with me if you want to live.... now get into da chopper!

Dekker got lucky -- hung with Shane's writers group back in the Riley Ellis/Silver Pictures days.

Might as well let it loose :lol

I really enjoyed the first half of the film. The cast was likable, the quips were almost always chuckle inducing, and the first Predator was fierce and very fun to watch. Incredibly violent, very humorous. The scene where the kid
Spoiler Spoiler:
was worth the price of admission alone.

But then that damn super predator showed up and suddenly the whole thing felt more like an R-rated Hulk or Ultron movie. The characters continued to be likable at least, surprisingly so even. The kid wasn't really annoying at all, in fact he was very soft spoken and really didn't have many lines throughout the film. The CGI of the super predator and his goofy dogs was a big turn off and felt very out of place in a Predator flick. I was very glad that the final showdown with him took place at night so the CGI was less offensive.

It wasn't horrible, it was just a bit of a buzzkill the way they shifted gears halfway through. The super predator really didn't fight any different than the other ones, he was just "more bigger" so I guess I just didn't really see the point. And by making him essentially bullet proof again made him more reminiscent of Hulk or Ultron since all tactics go out the window when your opponent is invulnerable and he was left basically being a video game boss who was at 100% health until finally his life meter was drained and then was suddenly killable. I don't know, that aspect of the film rubbed me the wrong way.

The first half was very entertaining IMO and there were moments in the second half that I did enjoy like
Spoiler Spoiler:
but it didn't end strong so that's what I'm left with. About a 5/10 I guess. Maybe it'll play better at home knowing what's coming.

Last edited:
Back