The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care how much they spent; it's all just the same fake, shiny, rubbery CGI we've been staring at for over two decades. Nothing looks real or genuine or lived in.

The characters are a bunch of nobodies I don't care about, and the characters that actually have carried over, like Galadriel, bear zero resemblance to the versions we cared about.

I watched Drinker's takedown of this before the trailer even dropped, and he used footage from the original movies. Just watching those clips, my eyes got so teary everything got blurry. Peter Jackson's LOTR is a once in a generation masterpiece. He achieved something that nobody thought was possible. Those movies have everything....they're just perfection. I can't watch Return of the King without crying. When the entire kingdom, including Aragorn himself, bows down to the four Hobbits that saved their world? I cry like a newborn baby Every. Single. Time.

I doubt there's enough heart or passion in the entire Amazon to make me feel a damn thing for even 30 seconds. This has GENERIC CORPORATE FANTASY PRODUCT stamped all over it, just like the Disney SW movies.

I'll still use amazon to deliver my toys, but I won't be wasting time watching their soulless and ugly corporate products.

headache-facepalm.gif

200.gif

Yeah this doesn't feel one bit like LOTR and I'm not only talking about the PJ movies, both that trilogy and the books have a very distinctive feel from other fantasy tales and none of the pictures and the trailer have it for me, feels like every other Game of Thrones copy that has come out in the past decade.

I am a casual LOTR fan. Loved the films back in the day, bought the extended versions, but still only saw each one a few times, never read the books, etc. Coming from that perspective, I didn't get excited about this at all from the trailer. Looked like a hundred other fantasy shows out there. But impossible to gauge anything meaningful from a short little commercial, so I'll keep an open mind.

Who/what is that crawling out of the fire?
654chb.gif
I don't know, but he seems really excited.

It’s a teaser trailer and doesn’t show much and it has nothing to do with the movies really so keeping an open mind. If it’s bad then oh well, if it’s good then great.

Haven’t read the books, nor will I so accuracy to those has no impact on my enjoyment.

I don't care how much they spent; it's all just the same fake, shiny, rubbery CGI we've been staring at for over two decades. Nothing looks real or genuine or lived in.

The characters are a bunch of nobodies I don't care about, and the characters that actually have carried over, like Galadriel, bear zero resemblance to the versions we cared about.

I watched Drinker's takedown of this before the trailer even dropped, and he used footage from the original movies. Just watching those clips, my eyes got so teary everything got blurry. Peter Jackson's LOTR is a once in a generation masterpiece. He achieved something that nobody thought was possible. Those movies have everything....they're just perfection. I can't watch Return of the King without crying. When the entire kingdom, including Aragorn himself, bows down to the four Hobbits that saved their world? I cry like a newborn baby Every. Single. Time.

I doubt there's enough heart or passion in the entire Amazon to make me feel a damn thing for even 30 seconds. This has GENERIC CORPORATE FANTASY PRODUCT stamped all over it, just like the Disney SW movies.

I'll still use amazon to deliver my toys, but I won't be wasting time watching their soulless and ugly corporate products.
PJ couldn't even replicate what he did with LOTR for The Hobbit. As you said, it was a once in a lifetime achievement.

PJ couldn't even replicate what he did with LOTR for The Hobbit. As you said, it was a once in a lifetime achievement.
Yeah, I can't help but feel it was one of those perfect storm events, where the right person, at the right time, with the right cast was able to put together something amazing. I thought that second Hobbit movie was disgraceful. Can't even remember if I watched the last one.

Yeah, I can't help but feel it was one of those perfect storm events, where the right person, at the right time, with the right cast was able to put together something amazing. I thought that second Hobbit movie was disgraceful. Can't even remember if I watched the last one.
:goodpost:
Almost too prefect. :bow Probably never see something like that again.

The Hobbit suffered from a lot of interference from the suits though, did it not?
Exactly this was not an ideal situation for PJ. He wasn’t even the one to start it but finished it after Del Toro couldn’t continue. PJ went through a lot of stress to make any semblance of a coherent trilogy. He also wasn’t big on the trilogy but the studio wanted more films and they pushed for the love triangle which Evangeline Lily said she was promised would not happen. Then there was almost no preproduction since the studio said Del Toro used too much time and they wanted the film released.

:goodpost:
Almost too prefect. :bow Probably never see something like that again.
I’m not sure ROTK was perfect. I think only FOTR was the most book accurate and that even had Glorfindel and Gildor Inglorion removed from the story. ROTK was practically fan fiction honestly as great a movie that was I felt it was the weakest of the trilogy.

Yeah. I read that they were smashing hundreds of years or thousands into all the events happening into essentially the same time to make it convenient for them.
Yeah the condensed timeline sucks because they didn’t want human characters to die which is kinda the whole point of the Numenorean and by extension Ringwraith plot lines. I’m not sure how they will be able to separate the major events like War of the Elves and Sauron, Ar-Pharazon in Middle-earth, the Akallabeth and the Last Alliance. I am excited to see more Eregion and Celebrimbor since initially it seemed he would be only in the “prologue” episodes. Of course the LOTR trilogy condensed decades but this is potentially at least 1500 years!

hmmm looks much better than the hobbit movies, but no where near close to the OG trilogy. i’ll try and keep an open mind, i like that the effects seem a little more practical.

so is the show standalone or is it “movie cannon”?

I’m not sure ROTK was perfect. I think only FOTR was the most book accurate and that even had Glorfindel and Gildor Inglorion removed from the story. ROTK was practically fan fiction honestly as great a movie that was I felt it was the weakest of the trilogy.
I've never read the books. :monkey1

Didn't realise that about ROTK.

I can't watch Return of the King without crying. When the entire kingdom, including Aragorn himself, bows down to the four Hobbits that saved their world? I cry like a newborn baby Every. Single. Time.
I thought it was just me.... :lol

I've never read the books. :monkey1

Didn't realise that about ROTK.
Oh yeah there’s no Arwen at all except in the Appendices. The film doesn’t have Elrond’s twin sons Elladan and Elrohir who sorta pave the way ahead for the Fellowship, the Grey Company which includes other Rangers/Dunedain like Halbarad, Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth, the Gondorians Beregond and his son Bergil. Aragorn has Anduril before leaving Rivendell, Arwen isn’t dying because of the corruption of Sauron. The Army of the Dead don’t cause physical harm and Aragorn never killed the Mouth of Sauron. We also don’t even have Cirdan the Shipwright speak or acknowledged despite his importance to Tolkien’s works. We never see the Glittering Caves which is the culmination of Legolas and Gimli’s friendship or the Scouring of the Shire which is a huge part for Saruman Wormtongue to play.

Back