The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had cause to use this emoji, but this thread is the perfect place for a trial run...

:read

:lol
doctor-strange-nope.gif

PJ couldn't even replicate what he did with LOTR for The Hobbit. As you said, it was a once in a lifetime achievement.
Am a Hobbit fan. There's stuff in both trilogies I don't like. But I'm more forgiving than some about the Hobbit CGI; at least it seemed to me that Warner Brothers was keeping a real eye on the budget. The Hobbit cast went through a lot; like the stories about the goblin tunnel set being so hot people in costume were keeling over and vomiting in buckets.

PJ to me had genius casting, too. Off the top of my head, can't think of any miscasts.

That's the thing; when I first saw the Hobbit trailers and later the movies just felt it all looked so rich (better than what I can imagine in my head) and LOTR of course has some magnificent shots.

I'll keep an open mind. Wasn't blown away but as teasers go, especially for material that little is known about - at least compared to the Hobbit and LOTR (I haven't been able to finish the Silmarillion) the teaser was pretty thin. I don't see Galadriel as Joan of Arc.
But Amazon am sure is well aware no matter what, they are gonna get at least initial backlash. At least Amazon has the money and stones to try with material like this. I'm not gonna complain about "no name actors" coz a lot of "known" actors wouldn't commit to 5 seasons of any series, and I didn't know that many of the GOT actors at first either.

Am a Hobbit fan. There's stuff in both trilogies I don't like. But I'm more forgiving than some about the Hobbit CGI; at least it seemed to me that Warner Brothers was keeping a real eye on the budget. The Hobbit cast went through a lot; like the stories about the goblin tunnel set being so hot people in costume were keeling over and vomiting in buckets.

PJ to me had genius casting, too. Off the top of my head, can't think of any miscasts.

That's the thing; when I first saw the Hobbit trailers and later the movies just felt it all looked so rich (better than what I can imagine in my head) and LOTR of course has some magnificent shots.

I'll keep an open mind. Wasn't blown away but as teasers go, especially for material that little is known about - at least compared to the Hobbit and LOTR (I haven't been able to finish the Silmarillion) the teaser was pretty thin. I don't see Galadriel as Joan of Arc.
But Amazon am sure is well aware no matter what, they are gonna get at least initial backlash. At least Amazon has the money and stones to try with material like this. I'm not gonna complain about "no name actors" coz a lot of "known" actors wouldn't commit to 5 seasons of any series, and I didn't know that many of the GOT actors at first either.
I don't not like The Hobbit trilogy. I do find some enjoyment in it. I remember walking out of An Unexpected Journey really liking it. My favourite of the three.

GoT casting was spot on. GoT was the first time seeing most of the actors anyway. Easy looking back now as most of them are big names now. Weren't at the time.

I don't not like The Hobbit trilogy. I do find some enjoyment in it. I remember walking out of An Unexpected Journey really liking it. My favourite of the three.

GoT casting was spot on. GoT was the first time seeing most of the actors anyway. Easy looking back now as most of them are big names now. Weren't at the time.
i liked the second one the best

The second one was great because of Thranduil and Mirkwood but not so great because of Tauriel glowing like one of the Calaquendi and Smaug’s slapstick. The first one was closest to the LOTR film trilogy and more dwarf centric plus Rivendell knights were so amazing and unexpected.

You can fast forward through those. :monkey3
But then you miss the famous poem about Gil-galad!

Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
The last whose realm was fair and free
Between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen.
His shining helm afar was seen.
The countless stars of heaven's field
Were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
And where he dwelleth none can say.
For into darkness fell his star;
In Mordor, where the shadows are.

But then you miss the famous poem about Gil-galad!

Gil-galad was an Elven-king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
The last whose realm was fair and free
Between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen.
His shining helm afar was seen.
The countless stars of heaven's field
Were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
And where he dwelleth none can say.
For into darkness fell his star;
In Mordor, where the shadows are.

Yes, with Tolkien I never fast forwarded anything. There's magic and depth in all it.

The second one was great because of Thranduil and Mirkwood but not so great because of Tauriel glowing like one of the Calaquendi and Smaug’s slapstick. The first one was closest to the LOTR film trilogy and more dwarf centric plus Rivendell knights were so amazing and unexpected.
i really liked all of it, the dwarves, gandalf doing his own thing and legolas (my favorite from the OG’s) was fun to have back.

the only thing i really can’t stand is the dwarves escape from the elves. it’s just so bad, CGI, the closeups. it felt like a disney movie.

in order i’d go

1. smaug
2. UJ
3. 5A

I like the second best too tho Unexpected Journey is a lot of fun.
BOFA had some good moments but it was well known PJ was over exhausted with it.

the only thing i really can’t stand is the dwarves escape from the elves. it’s just so bad, CGI, the closeups. it felt like a disney movie.
I like the barrel escape; but less the over-the-top obvious fuzzy CGI stuff. Mirkwood was awesome tho - great job on the White Hart, the spiders. Love Laketown too.
Still think Smaug is the best dragon ever put on screen and IMO nobody beats WETA for doing fire effects.

So with LOTR and the Hobbit both I just ignore the stuff that gets on my nerves, like the Faramir thing or the Kili/Tauriel thing :pfft: .

Tho unfortunately Amazon seems to be doing the "forbidden romance" angle?
What's forbidden? Far as I know it was unusual but elves and men did occasionally have relationships.

Last edited:
Yeah the forbidden love between Arondir and Bronwyn is probably my least favorite aspect of the show revealed so far. I hope it’s a failure of a relationship but more meaningful than Tauriel and Kili. The failure would show how special the true elf-human pairings would be and demonstrate the grace of Aragorn and Arwen’s union. Interestingly someone suggested Arondir could be half elf himself with one parent Silvan and the other from Harad.

It’s forbidden in the sense it’s rare and culturally frowned upon because elves are immortal and bound to the fate of the world while men have short lives in comparison and are only travelers meant to leave the world at death. There’s only three official pairings: Beren and Luthien, Tuor and Idril and Aragorn and Arwen. However there’s many tales of pairings such as the one in Dol Amroth. Legolas recognizes an elvish quality to Prince Imrahil and surmises that he had an elvish ancestor in the past.

Last edited:

he was terrible

xurtffk.jpg

Back