The current state of DC 1/6 collectibles . . . DEAD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not your son and your repetition of incorrect statements does not make them any more true. Fortunately, we live in a world of reality and numbers - so rather than uselessly repeating yourself and insisting that you're right without any hard data, we can simply go to those numbers.

I count 45 1/6 scale figures released in 2009 by Hot Toys. These include:

-2 Batman
-2 Jokers
-Two-Face (a Batman-related main character)
-5 Iron Men
-5 Predator figures
-8 Terminator figures
-22 other figures across 13 other movie franchises

Of the five Batman-related figures in 2009, three different main characters are represented. I do not think creating figures of all the main characters of an insanely popular movie (Batman, Joker, Two-Face) is inappropriate, especially when the entire catalogue remains quite diverse. (In fact, I don't think anyone in this thread would mind if Hot Toys produced 200 different Star Wars or Marvel figures in a year, as long as it's not at the expense of DC figures).

Two of those five Batman-related figures (the DX01 Joker an DX02 Batman) were clearly redos of the previous figures (MMS68 and MMS71), which were obviously movie inaccurate (particularly Joker, whose likeness in both costume and face was completely off-base) - and one of those five Batman-related figures was the inaccurate Batman in question (MMS68). DX01 and DX02 were substantial upgrades, and both Bank Robber Joker and DX01 were completely new looks (not mere minor variations), reflecting diversity within the line itself, both in terms of character and appearance.

Continuing with the numbers:

11% of the 2009 Hot Toys catalogue was Batman-related.

11% of the 2009 Hot toys catalogue was Iron Man.

I do not believe a total of 10 figures between two franchises - and only one fifth of the catalogue, a clear minority - constitutes "pumping out" of any kind.

If anything, one could make the argument that Terminator "dominated" the 2009 catalogue, with 18% of the figures - almost as many as Iron Man and Batman combined.

It would be a terrible argument to make, and I wouldn't buy it, but it would be better than the argument you're making.

Nah son...... again in 2009 the workings were showing and they started to move over to things that were more marvel focused. They announced different licenses and only released one figure while they released Batman and joker. The inner workings were starting to show during that time that iron man makes them money. So they kept announcing iron man even tho they had the license to other better stuff. Watchman for example

Once 2012 they said screw it and made Disney a priority . I was there lil buddy. I remember iron man being a priority over stuff they would announce . Soooooooooooo yea.

Also chill out..... it?s a toy forum

So they kept announcing iron man even tho they had the license to other better stuff. Watchman for example

YMMV on that. Watchmen didn't do very well at the box office and got mixed reviews anyway, so that they focused more on Iron Man over it is kind of a no brainer. Again, that seems to largely be the central conflict of this thread. People are upset about Marvel getting supposedly preferential treatment over DC when, with a few exceptions (notable missing pieces like Black Manta and Phoenix Joker, the latter of whom was likely a licensing issue), that can mostly be traced back to Marvel's movies simply being far more popular than DC's. If there was a huge market for Steppenwolf or Faora or Lex Luthor or El Diablo and all that there'd be a different story, but I feel pretty confident in saying that's probably not the case.

It's that way across the board. Even the companies and lines who do a better of job of DCEU merch like MAFEX and S.H. Figuarts also often put a much greater focus on Marvel because that's the bigger deal in many cases. I know that's upsetting to some people, but the blame rests on WB for letting things get to that state in the first place.

I def understand why dc is getting the shaft. There movies haven?t been that great but dc is beyond that so people want figured from other avenues. Joker and Batman were always going to made so I don?t count them as diverse at all. They?ll make Batman no matter what

When the facts don't bear your opinion out, just keep repeating yourself and insist that you were there!

Yeah, you were there....but were you lucid?

I def understand why dc is getting the shaft. There movies haven?t been that great but dc is beyond that so people want figured from other avenues.

That I agree with. If nothing else I think Injustice figures would be amazing, plus the games are very popular.

I am not your son and your repetition of incorrect statements does not make them any more true. Fortunately, we live in a world of reality and numbers - so rather than uselessly repeating yourself and insisting that you're right without any hard data, we can simply go to those numbers.

I count 45 1/6 scale figures released in 2009 by Hot Toys. These include:

-2 Batman
-2 Jokers
-Two-Face (a Batman-related main character)
-5 Iron Men
-5 Predator figures
-8 Terminator figures
-22 other figures across 13 other movie franchises

Of the five Batman-related figures in 2009, three different main characters are represented. I do not think creating figures of all the main characters of an insanely popular movie (Batman, Joker, Two-Face) is inappropriate, especially when the entire catalogue remains quite diverse. (In fact, I don't think anyone in this thread would mind if Hot Toys produced 200 different Star Wars or Marvel figures in a year, as long as it's not at the expense of DC figures).

Two of those five Batman-related figures (the DX01 Joker an DX02 Batman) were clearly redos of the previous figures (MMS68 and MMS71), which were obviously movie inaccurate (particularly Joker, whose likeness in both costume and face was completely off-base) - and one of those five Batman-related figures was the inaccurate Batman in question (MMS68). DX01 and DX02 were substantial upgrades, and both Bank Robber Joker and DX01 were completely new looks (not mere minor variations), reflecting diversity within the line itself, both in terms of character and appearance.

Continuing with the numbers:

11% of the 2009 Hot Toys catalogue was Batman-related.

11% of the 2009 Hot toys catalogue was Iron Man.

I do not believe a total of 10 figures between two franchises - and only one fifth of the catalogue, a clear minority - constitutes "pumping out" of any kind.

If anything, one could make the argument that Terminator "dominated" the 2009 catalogue, with 18% of the figures - almost as many as Iron Man and Batman combined.

It would be a terrible argument to make, and I wouldn't buy it, but it would be better than the argument you're making.
Facts; how novel.

The next post we need should compare MCU vs. DCEU revenue to get to the bottom of the grand mystery of why so many Marvel figures are being made.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

YMMV on that. Watchmen didn't do very well at the box office and got mixed reviews anyway, so that they focused more on Iron Man over it is kind of a no brainer. Again, that seems to largely be the central conflict of this thread. People are upset about Marvel getting supposedly preferential treatment over DC when, with a few exceptions (notable missing pieces like Black Manta and Phoenix Joker, the latter of whom was likely a licensing issue), that can mostly be traced back to Marvel's movies simply being far more popular than DC's. If there was a huge market for Steppenwolf or Faora or Lex Luthor or El Diablo and all that there'd be a different story, but I feel pretty confident in saying that's probably not the case.

It's that way across the board. Even the companies and lines who do a better of job of DCEU merch like MAFEX and S.H. Figuarts also often put a much greater focus on Marvel because that's the bigger deal in many cases. I know that's upsetting to some people, but the blame rests on WB for letting things get to that state in the first place.

While Faora wasn't made by HT, I wouldn't put her in the "not popular enough" category. Like you said, the movie just didn't do well enough and HT was already losing money with 3 of 4 of the big characters Jor-El, Zod and Sups all up for PO before the movie came out. But with ALL those figures being slow sellers (Jor-El literally being given away for free by SS with random customer orders and both Zod and JoEl being sold with store credit included at BBTS as incentives to get it out of their warehouse) pretty sure they weren't going to invest further in a line that was giving them negative returns. With that said, it's unfortunate b/c her merch tended to sell quickly at other scales as well as difficult to find. Her 1/6 DC Collectibles statue is one of the rarest and with highest after market prices of just about any of the MoS collectibles (Probably even BvS and JL as well for that matter), including Hot Toys. Even the bootleg 1/6 "Lady Commander" figure sold well that you can't find her anymore except sporadically here and there on eBay. Hot Toys should've made her as a main line character and instead made Jor-El a convention exclusive.

When it comes to other characters not DC, Marvel, or SW, there are times that I don't understand Hot Toys' strategy. Like for instance, they got the Appleseed Alpha license, but only produced Briarios instead of make both him and Deunan. Those characters specifically go together as a pair. Collectors don't want just one on theirs shelves and since HT never made Deunan, that figure also sat on the shelves. I know I would've gotten both had they made Deunan as I'd want the pair on display. And Hot Toys has a tendency to do this sort of thing with other licenses. They make ONE character from a license that needs at least 2 to make it worth it for collectors to get in on the line, then when the ONE they made doesn't do well, they kill the line and you're stuck with a figure no one wants w/ a plummeting value. It's like they wanted the line to do bad so they'd have a reason not to invest in it.

Last edited:
Hot Toys finally remembered this was a thing they announced, I guess. :lol

3tgTpAg.jpg

Fingers crossed for a DX Venomized cowboy Tony Stark.

Facts; how novel.

The next post we need should compare MCU vs. DCEU revenue to get to the bottom of the grand mystery of why so many Marvel figures are being made.

First, the problem is not merely "MCU vs DCEU." There are some of us here - myself included - who don't really care about DCEU figures, because the DCEU by and large aren't that great. But there's no reason that Hot Toys can't deliver on the main characters from other DC movies, like "Batman Returns," whose popularity has nothing to do with modern trends and movies.

Secondly, I don't think revenue has anything to do with it, directly. I think this is more a case of Disney strong-arming Hot Toys in order to maintain dominant market share. We know they do this with theaters - strong-arming theaters into devoting a minimum number of auditoriums for their movies, no matter the ticket or attendance numbers, at the expense of devoting those auditoriums to other, more popular non-Disney movies that might sell more tickets (and thus be more lucrative for the theater). Theaters give in because they know Disney can screw them - they'd rather sell tickets for Disney movies and non-Disney movies inefficiently than not be allowed to sell tickets for Disney movies at all.

There's no reason to believe this strategy isn't being applied to third party merchandisers like Hot Toys, either - especially since it's less risky (from an anti-trust perspective) for Disney to behave in this way with outside, non-American companies.

They need to just let the DC license go. Better for everyone at this stage. Concentrate on Disney 100% and allow DC fans to get our figures from someone else.

Never understood the license thing... Are we sure that if Hot Toys has the license no one else who makes similar products is allowed to also have one? Because if that's the case how do so many statue companies all have the same licenses?

Back