The case for Sgt. Slaughter and other lesser known Joes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sgt Slaughter was cool in the movie, that's about it imo. I feel there are plenty of other characters that should be done WAAAYYY before him. That "fat suit" comment is very funny too.

Ofcourse it has to be realistic.:lol
sgtslaughtermatthewpeyt.jpg

That's not cool man, we all get old. Even the Terminator
arnoldschwarzeneggerfatw.jpg

Besides, we are talking about cartoon Sgt. Slaughter. I've seen the Dutch figure and he is way to small and short to be customized into Slaughter. Then again what do I know.

That's not cool man, we all get old. Even the Terminator
arnoldschwarzeneggerfatw.jpg

Besides, we are talking about cartoon Sgt. Slaughter. I've seen the Dutch figure and he is way to small and short to be customized into Slaughter. Then again what do I know.

I love the post-heart surgery photos of Arnold. :rolleyes: I wonder what you'd look like after a stint of doctor-ordered beadrest post bypass surgery. The man pushes plates (and no, not the kind you eat off of) 3hrs every day. Not only do I doubt any of us can make that same claim, but I seriously doubt he looks like that now.

And no, we're not talking about a cartoon Slaughter. We're talking about a custom Slaughter that'd fit in with Sideshow's "realistic" G.I. Joe line. Butt while Dutch is actually tall enough, Slaughter NEVER looked like that. Not even on his best day. Hell, he never looked as good as the post-bypass Arnie! :lol

Last edited:
That's not cool man, we all get old. Even the Terminator[/BBesides, we are talking about cartoon Sgt. Slaughter. I've seen the Dutch figure and he is way to small and short to be customized into Slaughter. Then again what do I know.

Sorry I came off like that, but Sargent Slaughter (the wrestler) never, ever, looked as good as the cartoon, and that is a fact.

Hey I didn't know those pics were him after surgery. I just googled it. to be honest the reason I googled arnie is because I saw him in your sig hahahah

Also, when I said "cartoon Sgt Slaughter" I should have added "era" at the end of that phrase. Sorry, man I just got home from work and I'm too lazy to type hahahaha

Sorry I came off like that, but Sargent Slaughter (the wrestler) never, ever, looked as good as the cartoon, and that is a fact.

No worries man hahah
I'm just a little protective of the ol sarge because as a kid I was practically raised by TV and my father figures (as odd as that sounds) were Prime, Sgt. Slaughter, Han Solo and Batman (good gravy, I do need help)

at the risk of being mocked and humiliated, here's a pic of me and the ol Sarge

1000814.jpg

Hey I didn't know those pics were him after surgery. I just googled it. to be honest the reason I googled arnie is because I saw him in your sig hahahah

Also, when I said "cartoon Sgt Slaughter" I should have added "era" at the end of that phrase. Sorry, man I just got home from work and I'm too lazy to type hahahaha

No worries. :lol It's just those pictures as jokes are older than octomom jokes. Especially when you know the history behind them. But, I can honestly say Arnold never looked as big as the dude in my sig! :lol

Last edited:
:huh I always thought he was annoying (especially his voice) and just knew him as one of the pudgy wrestlers from the WWF.

IMHO, both he and Serpentor represent the beginning of the end of the golden era. Sure, there was to be much worse (Cobra-La, The Fridge, etc) but this is where ARAH jumped the proverbial shark and started going downhill fast.

I went to a WWF event as a kid and got to meet Sgt Slaughter and take some pics with him. He was really stinky. True story.

I was kind of annoyed. Sgt. Slaughter was the cartoon equivalent for what Beachhead was in the comics. Why they just didn't use Beachhead, who knows, but it's lame. Probably wanted to co mingle the franchises. Leave Slaughter to the WWF (WWE now) and nix this Faramir beggar thread. :lol Let's get back to the Joes that matter dammit! :D

I really can't understand why so many classic ARAH fans like Sgt. Slaughter. :huh

Its funny because as a kid I thought both the cartoon and Sgt. Slaughter were kind of lame compared to the stories I envisioned for the Joes while playing with the figures (I never read the comics until after I got rid of all my GI Joe toys in a garage sale the summer before I started junior high). The laser guns, nobody dying, Slaughter, "yo joe", etc. Just lame.

Without the comics my friends and I just had the file cards and our own imaginations. I don't think we even knew that Snake Eyes wasn't supposed to talk. I always had him talk with a gravelly voice along the lines of Boba Fett's original voice in ESB.

Anyway when we discovered the cartoon we watched it because it was GI Joe but there was a lot we made fun of. Slaughter was kind of annoying because out of the blue they just make this cheezy real life guy "Super Joe" who overshadowed all of our favorite characters. But now its all part of that 80's charm, in all its ridiculousness, because for better or for worse in spite of its own cheeziness we were still entertained.

Slaughter's cool enough now, but the peach filecard years are still where its at.

IMHO, both he and Serpentor represent the beginning of the end of the golden era. Sure, there was to be much worse (Cobra-La, The Fridge, etc) but this is where ARAH jumped the proverbial shark and started going downhill fast.

I would disagree. The line continued long after Slaughter and Serpentor were introduced. If anything Zartan "jumped the shark" first. And I'm talking about the figures, not the toon or the comic, those are irrelevant IMHO. There were still tons of great figures made till the Ninja Force and Star Brigade junk.

:huh I always thought he was annoying (especially his voice) and just knew him as one of the pudgy wrestlers from the WWF.

A friend of mine who works in showbuisness came down for the week, we were goofing off a bit, and starting talking about things "going too far" and he used the term "Nuke in the Fridge" the way "jumping the shark" is normaly used.

I asked him to explane what he meant, and apperently, Indy 4's Nuke scene has replaced the Shark jumping now.

The more you know.

Its funny because as a kid I thought both the cartoon and Sgt. Slaughter were kind of lame compared to the stories I envisioned for the Joes while playing with the figures (I never read the comics until after I got rid of all my GI Joe toys in a garage sale the summer before I started junior high). The laser guns, nobody dying, Slaughter, "yo joe", etc. Just lame.

Without the comics my friends and I just had the file cards and our own imaginations. I don't think we even knew that Snake Eyes wasn't supposed to talk. I always had him talk with a gravelly voice along the lines of Boba Fett's original voice in ESB.

Anyway when we discovered the cartoon we watched it because it was GI Joe but there was a lot we made fun of. Slaughter was kind of annoying because out of the blue they just make this cheezy real life guy "Super Joe" who overshadowed all of our favorite characters. But now its all part of that 80's charm, in all its ridiculousness, because for better or for worse in spite of its own cheeziness we were still entertained.
The fact that they had Slaughter boss around Duke (and even Hawk!!) in the show is alone enough for me to hate him as a JOE character.

A friend of mine who works in showbuisness came down for the week, we were goofing off a bit, and starting talking about things "going too far" and he used the term "Nuke in the Fridge" the way "jumping the shark" is normaly used.

I asked him to explane what he meant, and apperently, Indy 4's Nuke scene has replaced the Shark jumping now.

The more you know.
Yes, that's been around since last Summer. It's cute and funny, but ultimately dumb. The fridge scene is actually one of the better elements of KOTCS. A more apt term would be "Swinging with CGI monkeys", but of course that is not as hip or clever. :lol

Jumped The Shark it remains.

The fact that they had Slaughter boss around Duke (and even Hawk!!) in the show is alone enough for me to hate him as a JOE character.

Only during training, though, iirc. That isn't necessarily unrealistic - I've had plenty of instructors whom I would have outranked in any other situation boss me around when I'm on course.

From what I've heard, it can happen in the heat of battle as well, depending on the situation. I admit, though - with a general, that's pushing it to say the least!

Back