Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, you're right, I didn't imagine war-bots. If I did, it would have been much cooler.

I think I imagined the clones were in fact the bad guys as they ended up -- certainly not a revolution. Bad people made the clones, and the Jedi led the armies of "good" -- whoever they were -- against the clone enemies. Somewhat like it played out.

I didn't imagine Jedi were numbskull ambassadors or negotiators or whatever their jobs were suppose to be. "A Jedi Knight", referenced in ANH, struck me as a specialized warrior with a code much like a samurai on which they were based. I imagined whoever was the leader in the past, a sovereign of some kind or even a president, had a special group of noble warriors meant to take on tasks/assignments and meant for protection. Once Lucas really gave it some thought, while creating ESB, it seems he decided that was all too "warmongering" for Jedi -- that they should be peaceful and pacifists. Hence Yoda's attitude that "wars not make one great". It never jibed for me that these peaceful monks were also the best warriors in the galaxy. But kids buy into it; kids who grow up simply accepting something on its face because they like it.

Battle droids suck.

CW should’ve always been about flesh vs flesh!

Droids are lifeless bores.

Obviously i’m not including non war related droids in my rant (3PO, R2, Gonk etc).

I think that when most of us pre-prequel trilogy heard Jedi Knight we imagined something like actual knights, laser swords, armour, shields etc.

Marvel took it quite literally back in the day:

fQjJtAP.jpg

As a kid when I got my Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight Outfit) figure, I imagined all the Jedi dressed like him in sleek, form-fitting, black outfits.

We *almost* got that, judging by Episode I concept art.

Battle droids suck.

CW should’ve always been about flesh vs flesh!

Droids are lifeless bores.

Obviously i’m not including non war related droids in my rant (3PO, R2, Gonk etc).

I wasn't expecting robots either (aside from thinking T2's opening sequence gave a hint of what the FX might be like) but I liked the parallels of man versus machine on both a political and personal (Vader) level, and the water planet versus the mineral planet.

Last edited:
Saw Return of the Jedi today in theaters. Yikes. Not good. Luke and Han are so unlikeable. Never liked the Leia/Luke siblings retcon and forgot Yoda dies in one scene as soon as Luke visits him. Those two aspects in particular just feel like Lucas wanted to be done with all this and was rushing towards the finish line. The fact that this was the Special Edition Blu Ray version made matters even worse. Lapti Nek is so much better than Jedi Rocks. Vader is a little *****. How did Luke eat that much force lightning directed right at him, but Vader barely gets shocked indirectly and dies like a *****? His mask and helmet are all fried, but Luke doesn’t even have a scratch. Get outta here. Am I the only one that hates Kenobi? Also, the Ewok blinking scared the hell out of me. I was used to the original version so those pupils and eyes got me. Holy ****.

Forgot how short the Endor Bunker raid/Death Star 2 Assault and Vader/Luke duel was. Vader and Luke fight for 2 mins tops.

The Star Wars kid in me is pretty much dead. I dare not watch Star Wars or Empire in their entirety out of fear of not liking them again. I don’t want the nostalgia rose tinted glasses to wear off.

Saw Return of the Jedi today in theaters. Yikes. Not good. Luke and Han are so unlikeable. Never liked the Leia/Luke siblings retcon and forgot Yoda dies in one scene as soon as Luke visits him. Those two aspects in particular just feel like Lucas wanted to be done with all this and was rushing towards the finish line. The fact that this was the Special Edition Blu Ray version made matters even worse. Lapti Nek is so much better than Jedi Rocks. Vader is a little *****. How did Luke eat that much force lightning directed right at him, but Vader barely gets shocked indirectly and dies like a *****? His mask and helmet are all fried, but Luke doesn’t even have a scratch. Get outta here. Am I the only one that hates Kenobi?

Forgot how short the Endor Bunker raid/Death Star 2 Assault and Vader/Luke duel was. Vader and Luke fight for 2 mins tops.

The Star Wars kid in me is pretty much dead. I dare not watch Star Wars or Empire in their entirety out of fear of not liking them again. I don’t want the nostalgia rose tinted glasses to wear off.

take-it-back-arnold-schwarzeegger.gif

While I'm posting Marvel pages, this was my first exposure to Boba's original back story, which refers to the Mandolarians fighting the Clone Wars on the Empire's side. No mention of battle droids *or* clone armies.

Also interesting to note Jango's head bump in AOTC (not to mention action figures of the era) implied the OT-era Stormtroopers were clones, but post-George LFL has said they were a mixture of clones and conscripts.

2mVgRK2.jpg

7k0qno.gif

7k0qdd.gif

What's funny, Lucas supposedly hated the idea of Don-Wan and cartoony Jaxxon
- yet two decades later he trotted out the pairing of Qui-Gon and cartoony Jarjar

Also [after Splinter] the Star Hoppers was one if not the first oficial EU tale.
What the combined genus minds of Star Wars and the House of Ideas Marvel (now ironically both owned by Disney) first wrought.. :lol

Last edited:
Looking back now, cloning is something you see in a Michael Crichton hard sci-fi story, not in something mythical with wizards and the force like SW, despite the trappings of space and lasers etc
FYI there was cloning in Dune, they were called Gholas

Warning over 50yo Spoiler!: The "cloning" of Duncan Idaho [Jason Momoa] character, forms a rather significant part of the ongoing saga.
They are bread in Axlotl tanks, and reconstructed from a single cell from the original being.
Also they could be used as pawns, and gifted, while secretly implanted with trigger commands to turn against their host.
Further, part of the narrative of Duncan's clone story was breaking free of that implanted command, and forging his own identity.
Dune was very much Sci-fantasy-mythical , and informed much of what Lucas did.
cloning is something you see in a Michael Crichtonhard sci-fi story, not in something mythical with wizards and the force like SW, despite the trappings of space and lasers etc
Look again.

Last edited:
While I'm posting Marvel pages, this was my first exposure to Boba's original back story, which refers to the Mandolarians fighting the Clone Wars on the Empire's side. No mention of battle droids *or* clone armies.

Also interesting to note Jango's head bump in AOTC (not to mention action figures of the era) implied the OT-era Stormtroopers were clones, but post-George LFL has said they were a mixture of clones and conscripts.

2mVgRK2.jpg
Why does that Mandalorian sound like he's either in a Braveheart voiceover or maybe a Guy Ritchie film?

Lol so when they said clones wars in the ot I was shocked cause I did t think that was a thing til the pt. But if I was born in the 70s I’d imagine it would be a bunch of clones fighting each other for dominance

Lucas ripped off Dune pretty liberally. None of the complexity and deep world-building, but a great deal of the imagery and broad strokes.

And everyone in the 70's knew it.

if I was born in the 70s I’d imagine it would be a bunch of clones fighting each other for dominance

Good thing you weren't born in the 70's.

Lucas ripped off Dune pretty liberally. None of the complexity and deep world-building, but a great deal of the imagery and broad strokes.
And yet none of the adaptations of Dune comes anywhere near the quality of A New Hope (Never read the novel). I personally found both of those movies absolutely horrendous, albeit for slightly different reasons. I would also argue that Lucas' design team borrowed even more from the comic book Valerian. In the end though, he put enough of his own spin on those tropes and story beats to make SW uniquely his own.

Back